Justin R. Shinn, MD is an Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He is a member of the American Head and Neck Society and American Academy of Otolaryngology. He has been inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha, the honorary medical society, and was a Howard Hughes Medical Fellow at Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Shinn earned his undergraduate degree in Health and Human Performance at the University of Montana and medical degree at the University of Washington School of Medicine. Following residency in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, he received advanced training in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology, Transoral Robotic Surgery, and Microvascular Reconstruction at the University of Pennsylvania.
His clinical interests encompass a comprehensive approach to benign and malignant head and neck tumors to provide a meaningful impact in patients’ and their loved ones’ lives while restoring form and function through minimally invasive and complex reconstructive strategies. Dr. Shinn works with patients of all ages and has specific expertise in complex ablative and reconstructive surgery, transoral robotic surgery (TORS), skin cancer and melanoma management, sentinel lymph node biopsy, open and minimally-invasive salivary gland surgery, and thyroid and parathyroid surgery.
Dr. Shinn’s research focus is centered around patient education and head and neck cancer outcomes. With his background in exercise physiology and nutrition, he has a special focus in preparing patients for their surgeries to optimize their surgical recovery and long-term functionality. He has also helped design software platforms to utilize fully immersive virtual reality (VR) environments to enhance patient care and the visualization and understanding of complex anatomy. Dr. Shinn has published extensively and has served as a reviewer for prolific journals such as Critical Care Medicine, Oral Oncology, Head and Neck, and others.
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Transoral Robotic Surgery
- Head and Neck Reconstruction
- Pediatric/Children’s tumors
- Oral and Throat (Pharyngeal) Disorders
- Oral and Throat Surgeries
- Surgical Treatment of Benign Head and Neck Conditions
- Skull Base Surgery
- Skin Cancer Resection and Reconstruction
- Treatment of Neurofibromatosis
- Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Parathyroid and Thyroid Conditions
- Sinonasal Tumors
- Medical School
- University of Washington School of Medicine (2015)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (2020), Otolaryngology
- University of Pennsylvania (2021), Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery
- Sex-based differences in outcomes among surgically treated patients with HPV-related oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Shinn JR, Carey RM, Mady LJ, Shimunov D, Parhar HS, Cannady SB, Rajasekaran K, Lukens JN, Lin A, Swisher-McClure S, Cohen RB, Bauml JM, Rassekh CH, Newman JG, Chalian AA, Basu D, Weinstein GS, Brody RM, Oral Oncol 2021 Oct 123 105570
- Impact of Preoperative Risk Factors on Inpatient Stay and Facility Discharge After Free Flap Reconstruction.
- Freeman MH, Shinn JR, Fernando SJ, Totten D, Lee J, Malenke JA, Wood CB, Langerman AJ, Mannion K, Sinard RJ, Rohde SL, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2021 Aug 1945998211037541
- Impact of Race and Insurance Status on Primary Treatment for HPV-Associated Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
- Habib AM, Carey RM, Prasad A, Mady LJ, Shinn JR, Bur AM, Brody RM, Cannady SB, Rajasekaran K, Ibrahim SA, Newman JG, Brant JA, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2021 Jul 1945998211029839
- Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma With Discordant p16 and HPV mRNA Results: Incidence and Characterization in a Large, Contemporary United States Cohort.
- Shinn JR, Davis SJ, Lang-Kuhs KA, Rohde S, Wang X, Liu P, Dupont WD, Plummer D, Thorstad WL, Chernock RD, Mehrad M, Lewis JS, Am J Surg Pathol 2021 07 45 7 951-961
- An improved predictive model for postoperative pulmonary complications after free flap reconstructions in the head and neck.
- Smith DK, Freundlich RE, Shinn JR, Wood CB, Rohde SL, McEvoy MD, Head Neck 2021 07 43 7 2178-2184
- Locoregional Recurrence in p16-Positive Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma After TORS.
- Carey RM, Brody RM, Shimunov D, Shinn JR, Mady LJ, Rajasekaran K, Cannady SB, Lin A, Lukens JN, Bauml JM, Cohen RB, Basu D, O'Malley BW, Weinstein GS, Newman JG, Laryngoscope 2021 Jun
- Teacher Prescreening for Hearing Loss in the Developing World.
- Shinn JR, Jayawardena ADL, Patro A, Zuniga MG, Netterville JL, Ear Nose Throat J 2021 Jun 100 3_suppl 259S-262S
- Early Intervention for the Treatment of Acute Laryngeal Injury After Intubation.
- Lowery AS, Malenke JA, Bolduan AJ, Shinn J, Wootten CT, Gelbard A, JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2021 03 147 3 232-237
- Multi-Institutional Analysis of Outcomes in Supraglottic Jet Ventilation with a Team-Based Approach.
- Rodney JP, Shinn JR, Amin SN, Portney DS, Mitchell MB, Chopra Z, Rees AB, Kupfer RA, Hogikyan ND, Casper KA, Tate A, Vinson KN, Fletcher KC, Gelbard A, St Jacques PJ, Higgins MS, Morrison RJ, Garrett CG, Laryngoscope 2021 Feb
- Enhanced recovery after surgery for head and neck free flap reconstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Chorath K, Go B, Shinn JR, Mady LJ, Poonia S, Newman J, Cannady S, Revenaugh PC, Moreira A, Rajasekaran K, Oral Oncol 2021 02 113 105117