Ying Xian, M.D., Ph.D., FAHA, is a tenured Associate Professor in the Department of Neurology, with a secondary appointment in the Department of Population and Data Science at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Xian earned his medical degree at Beijing Medical University (Peking University Health Science Center), completed a residency in Internal Medicine, and a fellowship in Cardiology at Peking University People’s Hospital, and Fuwai Hospital, Peking Union Medical College. Dr. Xian obtained his Ph.D. degree in Health Services Research and Policy at University of Rochester and received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA) Pharmaceutical Roundtable-Spina Fellowship training in Cardiovascular Outcomes Research at Duke University.
For more than a decade, Dr. Xian’s research has been focused on improving health care quality and outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease and stroke. Prior to joining the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021, Dr. Xian served as the clinical lead for the AHA/ASA Get With The Guidelines Stroke (GWTG-Stroke) Registry and Society of Thoracic Surgeons' (STS) National Database Analytical Center at Duke. He has led multiple groundbreaking comparative effectiveness and patient-centered outcomes research projects, with extensive experiences with large national registry and data linkage with Medicare claims.
Dr. Xian is the principle investigator of two National Institute on Aging (NIA) funded R01s to evaluate the safety and efficacy of antithrombotic therapy for secondary stroke prevention and the AHA Clinical Research Program and Scientist Development Grant to investigate off-label/off-guideline thrombolytic therapy in stroke. Dr. Xian has served on multiple committees of the AHA/ASA, including the GWTG Quality Improvement Subcommittee, Stroke Systems of Care Advisory Group, Stroke Council’s Quality and Outcomes Committee, Quality of Care and Outcomes Research (QCOR) Council’s Young Clinicians & Investigators Committee, and GWTG-Stroke Clinical Work Group. Dr. Xian has authored or coauthored over 180 peer-reviewed publications and has been recognized for his research through the AHA QCOR Young Investigator Award and the Northwestern Junior Faculty Clinical Research Award.
- Cardiovascular disease
- Comparative effectiveness research
- Global health
- Health services research
- Outcomes research
- Patient-centered outcomes research
- Primary and secondary prevention
- Quality improvement
- Frequency, Characteristics, and Outcomes of Endovascular Thrombectomy in Patients With Stroke Beyond 6 Hours of Onset in US Clinical Practice.
- Zachrison KS, Schwamm LH, Xu H, Matsouaka R, Shah S, Smith EE, Xian Y, Fonarow GC, Saver J, Stroke 2021 Sep STROKEAHA121034069
- Outcomes of Endovascular Therapy in Patients With Prestroke Mobility Impairment.
- Beekman R, Sun JL, Alhanti B, Schwamm LH, Smith EE, Bhatt DL, Xian Y, Shah S, Lytle BL, Fonarow GC, Sheth KN, Stroke 2021 Sep STROKEAHA121034464
- Hydration for prevention of kidney injury after primary coronary intervention for acute myocardial infarction: a randomised clinical trial.
- Liu Y, Tan N, Huo Y, Chen S, Liu J, Chen YD, Wu K, Wu G, Chen K, Ye J, Liang Y, Feng X, Dong S, Wu Q, Ye X, Zeng H, Zhang M, Dai M, Duan CY, Sun G, He Y, Song F, Guo Z, Chen PY, Ge J, Xian Y, Chen J, Heart 2021 Sep
- Association Between 2010 Medicare Reform and Inpatient Rehabilitation Access in People With Intracerebral Hemorrhage.
- Ifejika NL, Vahidy FS, Reeves M, Xian Y, Liang L, Matsouaka R, Fonarow GC, Grotta JC, J Am Heart Assoc 2021 Aug 10 16 e020528
- Association Between Hospital Volumes and Clinical Outcomes for Patients With Nontraumatic Subarachnoid Hemorrhage.
- Leifer D, Fonarow GC, Hellkamp A, Baker D, Hoh BL, Prabhakaran S, Schoeberl M, Suter R, Washington C, Williams S, Xian Y, Schwamm LH, J Am Heart Assoc 2021 Aug 10 15 e018373
- Clinical Characteristics, Management, and In-Hospital Outcomes in Patients With Stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack in China.
- Gu HQ, Yang X, Wang CJ, Zhao XQ, Wang YL, Liu LP, Meng X, Jiang Y, Li H, Liu C, Wangqin R, Fonarow GC, Schwamm LH, Xian Y, Li ZX, Wang YJ, JAMA Netw Open 2021 Aug 4 8 e2120745
- Oral Anticoagulation and Adverse Outcomes after Ischemic Stroke in Heart Failure Patients without Atrial Fibrillation.
- Saeed O, Zhang S, Patel SR, Jorde UP, Garcia MJ, Bulcha N, Gupta T, Xian Y, Matsouaka R, Shah S, Smith EE, Schwamm LH, Fonarow GC, J Card Fail 2021 Aug 27 8 857-864
- Detection of Atrial Fibrillation After Central Retinal Artery Occlusion.
- Mac Grory B, Landman SR, Ziegler PD, Boisvert CJ, Flood SP, Stretz C, Madsen TE, Reznik ME, Cutting S, Moore EE, Hewitt H, Closser JB, Torres J, Lavin PJ, Furie KL, Xian Y, Feng W, Biousse V, Schrag M, Yaghi S, Stroke 2021 Aug 52 9 2773-2781
- Assessment of Trends in Guideline-Based Oral Anticoagulant Prescription for Patients With Ischemic Stroke and Atrial Fibrillation in China.
- Gu HQ, Yang X, Wang CJ, Zhao XQ, Wang YL, Liu LP, Meng X, Jiang Y, Li H, Liu C, Xiong YY, Fonarow GC, Wang D, Xian Y, Li ZX, Wang YJ, JAMA Netw Open 2021 Jul 4 7 e2118816
- Treatment and Outcomes of Patients With Ischemic Stroke During COVID-19: An Analysis From Get With The Guidelines-Stroke.
- Srivastava PK, Zhang S, Xian Y, Xu H, Rutan C, Alger HM, Walchok JG, Williams JH, de Lemos JA, Decker-Palmer MR, Alhanti B, Elkind MSV, Messé SR, Smith EE, Schwamm LH, Fonarow GC, Stroke 2021 Jul STROKEAHA120034414
Data Resources. In Understanding Clinical Research
Renato Lopes and Robert Harrington (2013). McGraw-Hill Education / Medical
Honors & Awards
- 2nd Place Winner, Junior Faculty Clinical Category Young Investigator Research Award
12th Annual Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigators' Forum (2016)
American Heart Association (2016)
- Travel Award
International Stroke Conference (2016)
- Distinguished Clinical Research Achievement Award
Clinical Research Forum. Fonarow GC, Zhao X, Smith EE, Saver JL, Reeves MJ, Bhatt DL, Xian Y, Hernandez AF, Peterson ED, and Schwamm LH. Door-to-needle times for tissue plasminogen activator administration and clinical outcomes in acute ischemic stroke before and after a quality improvement initiative. JAMA. 2014, 311(16), 1632-1640 (2015)
- 2nd Place Winner, Junior Faculty Clinical Track
10th Annual Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigators' Forum (2014)
- Young Investigator Finalist
American Heart Association Epidemiology and Prevention|Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism Scientific Sessions (2011)
- Young Investigator Award
American Heart Association Quality of Care and Outcomes Research Interdisciplinary Council (2010)
- Bertram Scott Research Fellow
American Heart Association Founders Affiliate (2008)
- Predoctoral Fellowship
American Heart Association Founders Affiliate (2008)
- Excellus Fellowship in Health Services Research and Policy
Excellus BCBS (2005)
- Dean's Fellowship
University of Rochester (2003)
- Geological Society of America (2021)
- European Stroke Organisation (2019)
- World Stroke Organization (2019)
- American Heart Association (2007)