Dr. Sihan Wu has an extensive background in cancer genetics and genomics. After graduating from Sun-Yat-sen University (SYSU), where he majored in biotechnology in the Life Science School, he obtained his Ph.D. at the Zhongshan School of Medicine at SYSU. His doctoral research focused on how genetic alterations contribute to brain tumor development. His work led to the discovery that dysregulation of non-coding microRNAs contributes to the development of glioblastoma. After receiving his Ph.D., he initiated postdoctoral research at the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research at the University of California, San Diego, under Dr. Paul Mischel’s mentorship. There he studied the structure and function of extrachromosomal DNA (ecDNA) in cancer, uncovering its circular shape and the functional impact of its unique physical conformation.
In 2021, Dr. Wu joined the faculty of Children’s Medical Center Research Institute at UT Southwestern as an assistant professor and became a Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) scholar. He holds a secondary appointment in pediatrics.
The Wu lab is working to understand the functions of ecDNA and how ecDNA is maintained in cancer. They are integrating several approaches (modern sequencing technologies, cytogenetic profiling with high-resolution imaging, and bioinformatics) to tackle these questions. Understanding these mechanisms will help them develop specific therapeutic strategies to eliminate ecDNA and target oncogenes that are currently undruggable to treat a variety of cancers.
- Graduate School
- Sun Yat-Sen University (2014), Pharmacology
- Cancer epigenetics
- Cancer genomics
- Extrachromosomal DNA in human cancer
- Targeting oncogenic miR-335 inhibits growth and invasion of malignant astrocytoma cells.
- Shu M, Zheng X, Wu S, Lu H, Leng T, Zhu W, Zhou Y, Ou Y, Lin X, Lin Y, Xu D, Zhou Y, Yan G, Mol Cancer 2011 May 10 59
Evolvement of MicroRNAs as Therapeutic Targets for Malignant Gliomas. In Evolution of the Molecular Biology of Brain Tumors and the Therapeutic Implications
Sihan Wu, Wenbo Zhu, Guangmei Yan (2013). UK, INTECH Open Access Publisher
Honors & Awards
- CPRIT Scholar
- Award of Excellence, poster session, UC San Diego Moore Cancer Center
- Ludwig Institute Kerr Award
- National Award for Academic Star of Doctoral Candidate, Ministry of Education of China
- National Scholarship for Graduated Student, Ministry of Education of China