Dr. Adkins earned Bachelor of Science degrees in Biomedical Science and Biological Science at Marshall University. He attended medical school at the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University, and completed his Anatomic Pathology/Clinical Pathology residency at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He went on to complete fellowship training in Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine and Hematopathology at University of Virginia Health. He is board-certified in Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology with subspecialty certification in Hematopathology. He is currently board eligible for Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine.
His interests include resident and fellow education as well as clinical research.
- Medical School
- Marshall University (2015)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (2019), Pathology/lab Medicine
- University of Virginia (2020), Hematopathology
- University of Virginia (2021), Blood Banking/transfusion Medicine
- Google Trends demonstrate public interest in COVID-19 convalescent plasma therapy.
- Adkins BD, Booth GS, J Clin Apher 2021 Jun 36 3 492-493
- Barriers at the Scope: Use of Acrylic Shields at the Microscope During the Pandemic.
- Adkins BD, Crawford MP, Maglione MM, Aguilera NS, Arch Pathol Lab Med 2021 03 145 3 266-268
- Low rates of anti-recipient isohemagglutinins in ABO incompatible hematopoietic stem cell transplants.
- Adkins BD, Andrews J, Sharma D, Hughes C, Kassim AA, Eichbaum Q, Transfus Apher Sci 2021 Feb 60 1 102965
- Time to be proactive about passive D: Distinguishing anti-D alloimmunisation from RhIG.
- Adkins BD, Cohn CS, Transfus Med 2021 Feb 31 1 3-4
- Recent Advances in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Board Examination Pass Rates.
- Adkins BD, Arch Pathol Lab Med 2020 12 144 12 1448-1450
- SOX10 and GATA3 in Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma and Polymorphous Adenocarcinoma.
- Adkins BD, Geromes A, Zhang LY, Chernock R, Kimmelshue K, Lewis J, Ely K, Head Neck Pathol 2020 Jun 14 2 406-411
- An exploration of the advantages of automated titration testing: low inter-instrument variability and equivalent accuracy for ABO and non-ABO antibody titres relative to tube testing.
- Adkins BD, Arnold Egloff SA, Fahey-Ahrndt K, Kjell AL, Cohn CS, Young PP, Vox Sang 2020 May 115 4 314-322
- Can we better predict delayed hemolytic transfusion reactions and hyperhemolysis in sickle cell disease?
- Adkins BD, Sharma D, Eichbaum Q, Transfus Apher Sci 2020 Apr 59 2 102681
- Transfusion support for stem cell transplant recipients.
- Adkins BD, Booth GS, Vasu S, Semin Hematol 2020 04 57 2 51-56
- Updates in lymph node and skin pathology of adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma, biomarkers, and beyond.
- Adkins BD, Ramos JC, Bliss-Moreau M, Gru AA, Semin Diagn Pathol 2020 Jan 37 1 1-10