Dr. Adkins earned Bachelor of Science degrees in Biomedical Science and Biological Science at Marshall University. He attended medical school at the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University, and completed his Anatomic Pathology/Clinical Pathology residency at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He went on to complete fellowship training in Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine and Hematopathology at University of Virginia Health. He is board-certified in Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology with subspecialty certification in Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine and Hematopathology.
His interests include resident and fellow education as well as clinical research.
- Medical School
- Marshall University (2015)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (2019), Pathology/lab Medicine
- University of Virginia (2020), Hematopathology
- University of Virginia (2021), Blood Banking/transfusion Medicine
- Sex and gender reporting in high impact haematology journals.
- Jacobs JW, Gisriel SD, Bouza SJ, Adkins BD, Lancet Haematol 2022 Apr
- Gender Inequities in Transfusion Medicine Society Recognition Awards.
- Jacobs JW, Adkins BD, Stephens LD, Woo JS, Booth GS, Transfus Med Rev 2022 Apr
- Massive transfusion protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Jacobs JW, Adkins BD, Booth GS, Vox Sang 2022 Mar
- Coagulation factor inhibitors in COVID-19: From SARS-CoV-2 vaccination to infection.
- Jacobs JW, Adkins BD, Walker SC, Booth GS, Wheeler AP, Res Pract Thromb Haemost 2022 Mar 6 3 e12700
- How did we reform our out of control massive transfusion protocol program?
- Adkins BD, Libby TA, Mayberry MM, Brady TW, Halls JB, Corbett SM, Schoeny J, Shields EP, Chowdhury J, Kinsinger-Stickel AN, Wehrli G, Jaeger NR, Robertson MP, Butler KM, Lowson SM, Calland JF, Gorham JD, Transfusion 2021 Oct
- Extracorporeal photopheresis chargemasters show haphazard billing practices.
- Adkins BD, Kneib J, Plummer WD, Dupont WD, Booth GS, Transfusion 2021 Jul
- Google Trends demonstrate public interest in COVID-19 convalescent plasma therapy.
- Adkins BD, Booth GS, J Clin Apher 2021 Jun 36 3 492-493
- Barriers at the Scope: Use of Acrylic Shields at the Microscope During the Pandemic.
- Adkins BD, Crawford MP, Maglione MM, Aguilera NS, Arch Pathol Lab Med 2021 03 145 3 266-268
- Low rates of anti-recipient isohemagglutinins in ABO incompatible hematopoietic stem cell transplants.
- Adkins BD, Andrews J, Sharma D, Hughes C, Kassim AA, Eichbaum Q, Transfus Apher Sci 2021 Feb 60 1 102965
- Time to be proactive about passive D: Distinguishing anti-D alloimmunisation from RhIG.
- Adkins BD, Cohn CS, Transfus Med 2021 Feb 31 1 3-4