Elizabeth Stehel, M.D.
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Elizabeth K. Stehel, “Kaili”, cares for patients in the Newborn Nursery at Parkland Health and Hospital System, as part of the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern. Dr Stehel is the co-Chair of the Texas Pediatric Society Fetus and Newborn committee and a member of the Texas Department Of State Health Services Newborn Screening Advisory Committee. Dr Stehel is also an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and has served chair for the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. She is a member of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Protocol Committee helping to develop guidelines for the care of breastfeeding mothers and infants. Her interests are breastfeeding, newborn screening, hearing impairment and cytomegalovirus infection (CMV). She has presented and published on breastfeeding and CMV infection in the newborn. Dr Stehel attended medical school at The University of Texas Southwestern and graduated in 1997. She completed her Pediatrics Residency at Children's Medical Center Dallas in 2000. After completion of her residency she joined the faculty at UTSW and has been working as a general pediatrician in the Parkland Newborn Nursery since. Dr Stehel enjoys teaching medical students and residents. A particular interest of hers is the development of a commitment to life long learning during residency. She has been recognized as an excellent teacher by the Pediatric Residents on several occasions. She is also involved in the UTSW Academic Colleges initially as a mentor for a small group of medical students and now provides a clinical experience in the newborn nursery. Dr. Stehel has been married to fellow UTSW graduate Edward Stehel since 1999. They enjoy water sports including sailing and swimming and you can find them on the water with their three children.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1997)
- Children's Health Dallas (1998), Pediatrics
- Children's Health Dallas (2000), Pediatrics
- CMV and hearing impairment
- Pneumonia, Hypocalcemia, and Gentamicin in the Term and Near-Term Neonate
- Resident and Medical Student Education
- Cytomegalovirus infection in the fetus and neonate
- Stehel EK, Sanchez PJ NeoReviews 2005 Jan 6 1
- Newborn Nursery Pink Manual, House Staff Orientation and Guidelines to Common Questions
- Jackson G, Sendelbach D, and Stehel E 2002
- Pharmacokinetics of amlodipine besylate at delivery and during lactation.
- Morgan JL, Kogutt BK, Meek C, Stehel EK, McIntire DD, Sheffield JS, Roberts SW Pregnancy Hypertens 2018 Jan 11 77-80
- Genotypic diversity and mixed infection in newborn disease and hearing loss in congenital cytomegalovirus infection.
- Pati SK, Pinninti S, Novak Z, Chowdhury N, Patro RK, Fowler K, Ross S, Boppana S Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2013 Oct 32 10 1050-4
- Saliva polymerase-chain-reaction assay for cytomegalovirus screening in newborns.
- Boppana SB, Ross SA, Shimamura M, Palmer AL, Ahmed A, Michaels MG, Sánchez PJ, Bernstein DI, Tolan RW, Novak Z, Chowdhury N, Britt WJ, Fowler KB N. Engl. J. Med. 2011 Jun 364 22 2111-8
- Maternal human immunodeficiency virus infection and congenital transmission of cytomegalovirus.
- Duryea EL, Sánchez PJ, Sheffield JS, Jackson GL, Wendel GD, McElwee BS, Boney LF, Mallory MM, Owen KE, Stehel EK Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2010 Oct 29 10 915-8
- Pulse oximetry screening at 4 hours of age to detect critical congenital heart defects.
- Sendelbach DM, Jackson GL, Lai SS, Fixler DE, Stehel EK, Engle WD Pediatrics 2008 Oct 122 4 e815-20
- Newborn hearing screening and detection of congenital cytomegalovirus infection.
- Stehel EK, Shoup AG, Owen KE, Jackson GL, Sendelbach DM, Boney LF, Sánchez PJ Pediatrics 2008 May 121 5 970-5
- Evaluation of a transcutaneous jaundice meter following hospital discharge in term and near-term neonates.
- Engle WD, Jackson GL, Stehel EK, Sendelbach DM, Manning MD J Perinatol 2005 Jul 25 7 486-90
- Pneumonia in term neonates: laboratory studies and duration of antibiotic therapy.
- Engle WD, Jackson GL, Sendelbach DM, Stehel EK, Ford DM, McHugh KM, Norris MR, Vedro DA, Velaphi S, Michelow IC, Olsen KD J Perinatol 2003 Jul-Aug 23 5 372-7
Honors & Awards
- Grass Roots Teaching Award
Childrens Medical Center, Dallas (2006)
- Top Ten Faculty Teachers
Pediatric Residents, Childrens Medical Center, Dallas (2002-2004)
- Magna Cum Laude, University of California at San Diego
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (2003)
- Dallas Area Breastfeeding Alliance (2009)
- Dallas County Medical Society
- International Lactation Consultant Association (2010)
- Texas Medical Association (2012)
- Texas Pediatric Society, Member (2002)