Bin Cai, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor and Director of Advanced Physics Service in UT Southwestern Medical Center’s Department of Radiation Oncology’s Division of Medical Physics & Engineering.
Dr. Cai received his Ph.D. from Ohio University and completed his medical physics residency training at Washington University’s School of Medicine. Prior to joining UT Southwestern, Dr. Cai was an Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology at Washington University. He is certified in therapeutic radiological physics by the American Board of Radiology.
Dr. Cai has extensive clinical and research experience in radiation therapeutic physics, imaging processing, and computational programming. Specifically, Dr. Cai has been continuously working on clinical implementation, development, and improvement of advanced radiation therapy treatment technologies and procedures, including both MR and CT online adaptive radiotherapy, biology-guided radiotherapy, AI-assisted radiotherapy process, automated quality assurance, as well as risk analysis/process improvement for radiotherapy workflow.
- Graduate School
- Ohio University (2011), Arts and Science
- Adaptive radiotherapy
- Automation and artificial intelligence in modern radiation therapy
- Biology-guided radiotherapy
- MR-guided radiotherapy
- Ablative Five-Fraction Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Inoperable Pancreatic Cancer Using Online MR-Guided Adaptation.
- Hassanzadeh C, Rudra S, Bommireddy A, Hawkins WG, Wang-Gillam A, Fields RC, Cai B, Park J, Green O, Roach M, Henke L, Kim H, Adv Radiat Oncol 2021 Jan-Feb 6 1 100506
- Comprehensive validation of halcyon 2.0 plans and the implementation of patient specific QA with multiple detector platforms.
- Laugeman E, Heermann A, Hilliard J, Watts M, Roberson M, Morris R, Goddu S, Sethi A, Zoberi I, Kim H, Mutic S, Hugo G, Cai B, J Appl Clin Med Phys 2020 Jul 21 7 39-48
- Technical Note: Dosimetric characterization of the dynamic beam flattening MLC sequence on a ring shaped, Jawless Linear Accelerator with double stacked MLC.
- Bollinger D, Laugeman E, Li T, Hilliard J, Heermann A, Kim H, Hugo G, Mutic S, Dong L, Cai B, Med Phys 2020 Mar 47 3 948-957
- Feasibility study of surface motion tracking with millimeter wave technology during radiotherapy.
- Olick-Gibson J, Cai B, Zhou S, Mutic S, Carter P, Hugo G, Zhang T, Med Phys 2020 Mar 47 3 1229-1237
- Increase in Superficial Dose in Whole-Breast Irradiation With Halcyon Straight-Through Linac Compared With Traditional C-arm Linac With Flattening Filter: In vivo Dosimetry and Planning Study.
- O'Grady F, Barsky AR, Anamalayil S, Freedman GM, Kennedy C, Cai B, Laugeman E, Dong L, Hugo GD, Metz JM, Mutic S, Taunk NK, Li T, Adv Radiat Oncol 2020 Jan-Feb 5 1 120-126
- Taking Guatemala from Cobalt to IMRT: a tale of US agency collaboration with academic institutions and industry
- A. Velarde, K. D. Najera, H. Gay, W. G. Powderly, S. Mutic, J. Green, J. M. Michalski, L. Henke, V. Falla, E. Laugeman, M. Catu, G. D. Hugo, B. Cai, J. Rheenen Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2020 107 5 867-872
- Automated and robust beam data validation of a preconfigured ring gantry linear accelerator using a 1D tank with synchronized beam delivery and couch motions
- N. Knutson, M. C. Schmidt, F. Reynoso, Y. Hao, T. R. Mazur, E. Laugeman, G.H. Hugo, S. Mutic, H. Li, W. Ngwa, B. Cai, E. Sajo J Appl Clin Med Phys 2020 21 8 200-207
- Implementation of the structural SIMilarity (SSIM) index as a quantitative evaluation tool for dose distribution error detection.
- J. Peng, C. Shi, E. Laugeman, W. Hu, Z. Zhang, S. Mutic, B. Cai Med Phys 2020 47 4 1907-191
- Intracranial stereotactic radiation therapy with a jawless ring gantry linear accelerator equipped with new dual layer multileaf collimator
- N.C. Knutson, W.R. Kennedy, F. J. Reynoso, J. Peng, L. E. Henke, E. Laugeman, M. Watts, J. Hillard, A. Heermann, G. D. Hugo, S. Mutic, B. Cai Adv. Radiat. Oncol. 2020 5 3 482-489
- Long-term Inter-protocol kV CBCT image quality assessment for a ring-gantry linac via automated QA approach.
- Peng J, Li H, Laugeman E, Mazur T, Lam D, Li T, Sun B, Hu W, Dong L, Hugo GD, Mutic S, Cai B, Biomed Phys Eng Express 2020 01 6 1 015025
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) (2016)
- Radiation Research Society (RRS) (2016)
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) (2012)