After completing her undergraduate education at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dr. Bhalla returned to her home state of Florida to receive her medical degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine. She continued her medical training at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, where she completed both her residency in internal medicine and her fellowship in hematology/oncology. During her fellowship, Dr. Bhalla developed a strong interest in thoracic oncology, which continues to be her focus at UTSW. Dr. Bhalla specializes in lung cancer and is devoted to improving outcomes for patients through high-quality care and clinical research.
- Medical School
- University of Florida College of Medicine (2015)
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (2018), Internal Medicine
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (2021), Hematology Oncology
- Cancer Care Delivery
- Clinical Trials
- Lung Cancer
- Care disruptions among patients with lung cancer: A COVID-19 and cancer outcomes study.
- Bhalla S, Bakouny Z, Schmidt AL, Labaki C, Steinharter JA, Tremblay DA, Awad MM, Kessler AJ, Haddad RI, Evans M, Busser F, Wotman M, Curran CR, Zimmerman BS, Bouchard G, Jun T, Nuzzo PV, Qin Q, Hirsch L, Feld J, Kelleher KM, Seidman D, Huang HH, Anderson-Keightly HM, El Zarif T, Abou Alaiwi S, Rosenbloom TD, Stewart PS, Galsky MD, Choueiri TK, Doroshow DB, Lung Cancer 2021 Jul 160 78-83
- PD-L1 as a biomarker of response to immune-checkpoint inhibitors.
- Doroshow DB, Bhalla S, Beasley MB, Sholl LM, Kerr KM, Gnjatic S, Wistuba II, Rimm DL, Tsao MS, Hirsch FR, Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2021 06 18 6 345-362
- Impact of pathological response after neoadjuvant chemotherapy on adjuvant therapy decisions and patient outcomes in gastrointestinal cancers.
- Bhalla S, Zhu H, Lin JY, Özbek U, Wilck EJ, Chang S, Chen X, Ward S, Harpaz N, Polydorides AD, Miller W, Fiel MI, Modica I, Fan W, Zeizafoun N, Ang C, Cancer Rep (Hoboken) 2021 May e1412
- Cancer Care Disparities during the COVID-19 Pandemic: COVID-19 and Cancer Outcomes Study.
- Schmidt AL, Bakouny Z, Bhalla S, Steinharter JA, Tremblay DA, Awad MM, Kessler AJ, Haddad RI, Evans M, Busser F, Wotman M, Curran CR, Zimmerman BS, Bouchard G, Jun T, Nuzzo PV, Qin Q, Hirsch L, Feld J, Kelleher KM, Seidman D, Huang HH, Anderson-Keightly HM, Abou Alaiwi S, Rosenbloom TD, Stewart PS, Galsky MD, Choueiri TK, Doroshow DB, Cancer Cell 2020 Dec 38 6 769-770
- Convalescent Plasma for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Infection in Cancer Patients.
- Tremblay D, Seah C, Schneider T, Bhalla S, Feld J, Naymagon L, Wang B, Patel V, Jun T, Jandl T, Rahman F, Liu STH, Aberg JA, Bouvier N, Cancer Med 2020 11 9 22 8571-8578
- Impact of anticoagulation prior to COVID-19 infection: a propensity score-matched cohort study.
- Tremblay D, van Gerwen M, Alsen M, Thibaud S, Kessler A, Venugopal S, Makki I, Qin Q, Dharmapuri S, Jun T, Bhalla S, Berwick S, Feld J, Mascarenhas J, Troy K, Cromwell C, Dunn A, Oh WK, Naymagon L, Blood 2020 Jul 136 1 144-147
- Predictive Biomarkers for Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Current Status and Future Directions.
- Bhalla S, Doroshow DB, Hirsch FR, Cancer J 2020 Nov/Dec 26 6 507-516
Honors & Awards
- Student Teaching Award
Icahn School of Medicine (2017)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
University of Florida College of Medicine (2015)
- Amerian Association for Cancer Research (2019)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2018)