Sheena Bhalla, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Hematology and Oncology. She specializes in thoracic malignancies, including non-small cell lung cancer, small cell lung cancer, mesothelioma, and thymoma.
Originally from Florida, Dr. Bhalla holds a bachelor’s degree in brain and cognitive science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She earned her medical degree at the University of Florida College of Medicine in Gainesville. She completed internal medicine residency training and a fellowship in medical oncology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in medical oncology and hematology, Dr. Bhalla joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
Dr. Bhalla is a member of the American Association for Cancer Research, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer.
Dr. Bhalla has published numerous articles in her key areas of research, which include lung cancer, clinical trials, and cancer care delivery.
- Medical School
- University of Florida College of Medicine (2015)
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (2018), Internal Medicine
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (2021), Hematology Oncology
- Cancer Care Delivery
- Clinical Trials
- Lung Cancer
- Care disruptions among patients with lung cancer: A COVID-19 and cancer outcomes study.
- Bhalla S, Bakouny Z, Schmidt AL, Labaki C, Steinharter JA, Tremblay DA, Awad MM, Kessler AJ, Haddad RI, Evans M, Busser F, Wotman M, Curran CR, Zimmerman BS, Bouchard G, Jun T, Nuzzo PV, Qin Q, Hirsch L, Feld J, Kelleher KM, Seidman D, Huang HH, Anderson-Keightly HM, El Zarif T, Abou Alaiwi S, Rosenbloom TD, Stewart PS, Galsky MD, Choueiri TK, Doroshow DB, Lung Cancer 2021 Jul 160 78-83
- PD-L1 as a biomarker of response to immune-checkpoint inhibitors.
- Doroshow DB, Bhalla S, Beasley MB, Sholl LM, Kerr KM, Gnjatic S, Wistuba II, Rimm DL, Tsao MS, Hirsch FR, Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2021 06 18 6 345-362
- Impact of pathological response after neoadjuvant chemotherapy on adjuvant therapy decisions and patient outcomes in gastrointestinal cancers.
- Bhalla S, Zhu H, Lin JY, Özbek U, Wilck EJ, Chang S, Chen X, Ward S, Harpaz N, Polydorides AD, Miller W, Fiel MI, Modica I, Fan W, Zeizafoun N, Ang C, Cancer Rep (Hoboken) 2021 May e1412
- Cancer Care Disparities during the COVID-19 Pandemic: COVID-19 and Cancer Outcomes Study.
- Schmidt AL, Bakouny Z, Bhalla S, Steinharter JA, Tremblay DA, Awad MM, Kessler AJ, Haddad RI, Evans M, Busser F, Wotman M, Curran CR, Zimmerman BS, Bouchard G, Jun T, Nuzzo PV, Qin Q, Hirsch L, Feld J, Kelleher KM, Seidman D, Huang HH, Anderson-Keightly HM, Abou Alaiwi S, Rosenbloom TD, Stewart PS, Galsky MD, Choueiri TK, Doroshow DB, Cancer Cell 2020 Dec 38 6 769-770
- Admission D-dimer levels, D-dimer trends, and outcomes in COVID-19.
- Naymagon L, Zubizarreta N, Feld J, van Gerwen M, Alsen M, Thibaud S, Kessler A, Venugopal S, Makki I, Qin Q, Dharmapuri S, Jun T, Bhalla S, Berwick S, Christian K, Mascarenhas J, Dembitzer F, Moshier E, Tremblay D, Thromb Res 2020 12 196 99-105
- Convalescent Plasma for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Infection in Cancer Patients.
- Tremblay D, Seah C, Schneider T, Bhalla S, Feld J, Naymagon L, Wang B, Patel V, Jun T, Jandl T, Rahman F, Liu STH, Aberg JA, Bouvier N, Cancer Med 2020 11 9 22 8571-8578
- Impact of anticoagulation prior to COVID-19 infection: a propensity score-matched cohort study.
- Tremblay D, van Gerwen M, Alsen M, Thibaud S, Kessler A, Venugopal S, Makki I, Qin Q, Dharmapuri S, Jun T, Bhalla S, Berwick S, Feld J, Mascarenhas J, Troy K, Cromwell C, Dunn A, Oh WK, Naymagon L, Blood 2020 Jul 136 1 144-147
- Protective role of Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitors in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and COVID-19.
- Thibaud S, Tremblay D, Bhalla S, Zimmerman B, Sigel K, Gabrilove J, Br J Haematol 2020 07 190 2 e73-e76
- Comparing the epidemiology, clinical characteristics and prognostic factors of acute myeloid leukemia with and without acute promyelocytic leukemia.
- Kamath GR, Tremblay D, Coltoff A, Caro J, Lancman G, Bhalla S, Najfeld V, Mascarenhas J, Taioli E, Carcinogenesis 2019 07 40 5 651-660
- Differences in the clinical and genetic profile of Hispanic and non-Hispanic acute myeloid leukemia patients.
- Kamath GR, Tremblay D, Coltoff A, Caro J, Lancman G, Bhalla S, Najfeld V, Mascarenhas J, Taioli E, Leuk Res 2019 02 77 1-4
Honors & Awards
- Chief Fellow
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (2020-2021)
- Student Teaching Award
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (2017)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
University of Florida College of Medicine (2015)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2019)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2018)
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (2021)