Yu-Min Shen, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Recognized as the regional expert in coagulation disorders, Dr. Shen is a nonmalignant hematologic disorders specialist whose areas of clinical expertise include bleeding and clotting disorders, hemostasis, and thrombosis.
A Fellow of the American College of Physicians, Dr. Shen emigrated from Taiwan as a teenager. He is American Board of Internal Medicine certified in internal medicine, hematology, and oncology.
Dr. Shen was recognized for his excellence as an educator with UT Southwestern’s 2011 Eugene P. Frenkel Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award.
He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2004.
Dr. Shen has delivered a number of invited lectures internationally, nationally, and regionally and published more than 20 scholarly articles, chapters, reviews, and case reports. He serves as an ad hoc reviewer for the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
He is a member of professional organizations that include the American Society of Hematology, International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, and Hemophilia and Thrombosis Research Society.
Dr. Shen earned his medical degree at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine. He completed both an internal medicine residency and a hematology/ oncology fellowship at UT Southwestern.
He also holds a B.S. degree, with honors, in biological sciences from Stanford University.
- Medical School
- University of California at San Diego School of Medicine (1995)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Hematology Oncology
- Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
- Thrombophilia testing
- Thrombosis & Hemostasis
- Comparison of low fixed dose versus standard-dose rituximab to treat thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in the acute phase and preemptively during remission.
- Reddy MS, Hofmann S, Shen YM, Nagalla S, Rambally S, Usmani A, Sarode R, Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2020 Jul 102885
- The role of cardiovascular disease risk assessed by ASCVD score in primary thrombosis prophylaxis strategy among antiphospholipid antibody carriers.
- Zuo Y, Udupa A, Fan J, Makris UE, Karp DR, Shen YM Lupus 2018 Aug 961203318796289
- Antiphospholipid antibodies induce thrombosis by PP2A activation via apoER2-Dab2-SHC1 complex formation in endothelium.
- Sacharidou A, Chambliss KL, Ulrich V, Salmon JE, Shen YM, Herz J, Hui DY, Terada LS, Shaul PW, Mineo C Blood 2018 Mar
- Identifying Additional Risk Factors for Thrombosis and Pregnancy Morbidities Among Antiphospholipid Antibodies Carriers.
- Zuo Y, Fan J, Sarode R, Zhang S, Makris UE, Karp DR, Shen YM Clin. Appl. Thromb. Hemost. 2018 Jan 1076029618755946
- Can an anti-Xa assay for low-molecular-weight heparin be used to assess the presence of rivaroxaban?
- Yates SG, Smith S, Tharpe W, Shen YM, Sarode R Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2016 Jun
- Identification of a Monoclonal Antibody That Attenuates Antiphospholipid Syndrome-Related Pregnancy Complications and Thrombosis.
- Mineo C, Lanier L, Jung E, Sengupta S, Ulrich V, Sacharidou A, Tarango C, Osunbunmi O, Shen YM, Salmon JE, Brekken RA, Huang X, Thorpe PE, Shaul PW PLoS ONE 2016 11 7 e0158757
- Analysis of Thrombophilia Test Ordering Practices at an Academic Center: A Proposal for Appropriate Testing to Reduce Harm and Cost.
- Shen YM, Tsai J, Taiwo E, Gavva C, Yates SG, Patel V, Frenkel E, Sarode R PLoS ONE 2016 11 5 e0155326
- Characteristics and Outcomes of Renal Transplant Recipients with Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome in the United States.
- Tanriover B, Lakhia R, Shen YM, Sandikci B, Saxena R, MacConmara M, Soyombo AA, Rajora N, Hardy MA Transplant Direct 2015 Nov 1 10
- Long-term safety and efficacy of factor IX gene therapy in hemophilia B.
- Nathwani AC, Reiss UM, Tuddenham EG, Rosales C, Chowdary P, McIntosh J, Della Peruta M, Lheriteau E, Patel N, Raj D, Riddell A, Pie J, Rangarajan S, Bevan D, Recht M, Shen YM, Halka KG, Basner-Tschakarjan E, Mingozzi F, High KA, Allay J, Kay MA, Ng CY, Zhou J, Cancio M, Morton CL, Gray JT, Srivastava D, Nienhuis AW, Davidoff AM N. Engl. J. Med. 2014 Nov 371 21 1994-2004
- Antiphospholipid antibodies attenuate endothelial repair and promote neointima formation in mice.
- Ulrich V, Konaniah ES, Lee WR, Khadka S, Shen YM, Herz J, Salmon JE, Hui DY, Shaul PW, Mineo C J Am Heart Assoc 2014 Oct 3 5 e001369
Honors & Awards
- Eugene P. Frenkel Outstanding Teacher of the Year
UT Southwestern (2011)
- Hemophilia and Thrombosis Research Society (2009)
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (2003)
- American Society of Hematology (2002)
- American College of Physician (1998)