Eva Gabriela Baylon, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. As a member of the Center for Organogenesis & Trauma directed by Dr. Benjamin Levi, Dr. Baylon's research interests focus on the biomechanics and mechanobiology of musculoskeletal tissues, particularly in the context of regeneration and disease.
Dr. Baylon received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) and earned M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University. Her doctoral work in the laboratory of Dr. Marc Levenston focused on the role of osmotic swelling in articular cartilage and meniscal fibrocartilage tissue mechanics and structure. As a postdoctoral research fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Tamara Alliston at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), she investigated the interaction of the physical and biological microenvironment of osteocytes via Atomic Force Microscopy.
- Uni of California-San Diego (2010), Mechanical Engineering
- Graduate School
- Stanford University (2013), Mechanical Engineering
- Graduate School
- Stanford University (2018), Mechanical Engineering
- Musculoskeletal tissue biomechanics and mechanobiology
- Non-ionic CT contrast solutions rapidly alter bovine cartilage and meniscus mechanics.
- Baylon EG, Crowder HA, Gold GE, Levenston ME, Osteoarthr. Cartil. 2020 09 28 9 1286-1297
- Osmotic Swelling Responses Are Conserved Across Cartilaginous Tissues With Varied Sulfated-Glycosaminoglycan Contents.
- Baylon EG, Levenston ME, J. Orthop. Res. 2020 04 38 4 785-792
Honors & Awards
- BMES - Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering Conference Postdoctoral Fellow Shooting Star Award
- University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellow
- NIH/NIDCR Research Supplement to Promote Diversity in Health Related Research
- Stanford/El Centro Chicano y Latino Academic Achievement Graduate Award
- Academic Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Graduate Fellowship
- Stanford Bio-X Graduate Fellowship
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) National Graduate Student Role Model STAR Award
- Alfred P. Sloan PhD Fellowship
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) (2020)
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) (2020)
- Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) (2014)
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) (2010)