Dr. Herlihy graduated from medical school at the University of South Alabama and completed his internship and residency at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. He served in the United States Navy from 1976 to 1982 and was a staff psychiatrist at Beaufort, South Carolina-Parris Island and Naval Hospital from 1980 to 1982. He has been active in state and regional professional organizations throughout his career and is a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. Before joining the faculty in the Department of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern, Dr. Herlihy worked in private practice in Alabama and Texas.
- Medical School
- University of South Alabama (1976)
- Bethesda Naval Hospital (1980), Psychiatry
- Lithium and organic brain syndrome.
- Herlihy CE, Herlihy CE, J Clin Psychiatry 1979 Oct 40 10 455
- President, Alabama Psychiatric Society (1988)
- Alabama Physicians Psychiatric Society (1982-2017)
- President, Mobile Chapter, Alabama Psychiatric Society (1982)
- Washington, D.C. Psychiatric Society (1978-1980)
- American Medical Association (1976-2000)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Psychiatric Association
- Southern Psychiatric Association