Eric D. Peterson, M.D., M.P.H., is a Professor of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Cardiology Division. He serves as Vice Provost and Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Research and as Vice President for Health System Research and holds the UTSW Adelyn and Edmund M. Hoffman Distinguished Chair in Medical Science.
After earning his undergraduate degree in neurobiology at Northwestern University, graduating cum laude, Dr. Peterson attained his medical degree at the University of Pittsburgh. He completed his residency training at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and then received advanced training through a fellowship in general internal medicine at Harvard University and a fellowship in cardiology at the Duke University Medical Center. He also holds a master's degree in public health from the Harvard School of Public Health.
Prior to joining the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020, Dr. Peterson was a distinguished and tenured professor in the Division of Cardiology at Duke, where he served as Executive Director of the Duke Clinical Research Institute.
Dr. Peterson currently serves as principal investigator on multiple national registries and large clinical implementation projects. He also is a member of the executive steering committees of several large cardiovascular clinical trials. With more than 1,400 peer-reviewed publications, Dr. Peterson ranks among the top 1% of published researchers in clinical medicine and has been named one of the most highly cited researchers in the world by Thomson Reuters.
A member of numerous professional organizations, Dr. Peterson currently serves as the Chair of the American Heart Association (AHA) Center for Health Technology and Innovation. He has received many awards and honors, including the AHA Meritorious Achievement Award, the AHA Distinguished Achievement in Research Award, and the AHA Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award in Cardiovascular Outcomes Research. He has also been elected into multiple honorary societies, including the American Society for Clinical Investigation, the Association of American Physicians, and the Council Association of University Cardiologists.
Dr. Peterson is a longtime Associate Editor for the Journal of the American Medical Association and now serves on its editorial oversight board. He is also on the editorial board for Circulation and Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, and he is an advisory board member for Nature Reviews Cardiology.
- Medical School
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (1988)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital (1989), Medicine
- Brigham and Women's Hospital (1991), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Harvard School of Public Health (1992)
- Graduate School
- Harvard School of Public Health (1992), Public Health
- Duke University Medical Center (1995), Cardiovascular Disease
- Relation between hospital intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation volume and mortality in acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shock.
- Chen EW, Canto JG, Parsons LS, Peterson ED, Littrell KA, Every NR, Gibson CM, Hochman JS, Ohman EM, Cheeks M, Barron HV, Circulation 2003 Aug 108 8 951-7
- Early use of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors in the ED treatment of non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromes: a local quality improvement initiative.
- Fesmire FM, Peterson ED, Roe MT, Wojcik JF, Am J Emerg Med 2003 Jul 21 4 302-8
- Early use of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors in non-ST-elevation acute myocardial infarction: observations from the National Registry of Myocardial Infarction 4.
- Peterson ED, Pollack CV, Roe MT, Parsons LS, Littrell KA, Canto JG, Barron HV, J Am Coll Cardiol 2003 Jul 42 1 45-53
- Use of continuous quality improvement to increase use of process measures in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery: a randomized controlled trial.
- Ferguson TB, Peterson ED, Coombs LP, Eiken MC, Carey ML, Grover FL, DeLong ER, JAMA 2003 Jul 290 1 49-56
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons: 30-day operative mortality and morbidity risk models.
- Shroyer AL, Coombs LP, Peterson ED, Eiken MC, DeLong ER, Chen A, Ferguson TB, Grover FL, Edwards FH, Ann Thorac Surg 2003 Jun 75 6 1856-64; discussion 1864-5
- Poverty, process of care, and outcome in acute coronary syndromes.
- Rao SV, Kaul P, Newby LK, Lincoff AM, Hochman J, Harrington RA, Mark DB, Peterson ED, J Am Coll Cardiol 2003 Jun 41 11 1948-54
- Challenges and opportunities in quantifying the quality of care for acute myocardial infarction: summary from the Acute Myocardial Infarction Working Group of the American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology First Scientific Forum on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research in Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke.
- Spertus JA, Radford MJ, Every NR, Ellerbeck EF, Peterson ED, Krumholz HM, Circulation 2003 Apr 107 12 1681-91
- Influence of the Angioplasty Revascularization Investigation National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Diabetic Clinical Alert on practice patterns: results from the National Cardiovascular Network Database.
- McGuire DK, Anstrom KJ, Peterson ED Circulation 2003 Apr 107 14 1864-70
- Quality improvement tools designed to improve adherence to the ACC/AHA Guidelines for the care of patients with non-ST-segment acute coronary syndromes: the CRUSADE quality improvement initiative.
- Staman KL, Roe MT, Fraulo ES, Lytle BL, Gibler WB, Ohman EM, Peterson ED, Crit Pathw Cardiol 2003 Mar 2 1 34-40
- Evidence-based care for all patients.
- Alexander KP, Peterson ED, Am J Med 2003 Mar 114 4 333-5
Honors & Awards
- Adelyn and Edmund M. Hoffman Distinguished Chair in Medical Science
UT Southwestern (2020)
- Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award
American Heart Association (2018)
- Top Cardiologist in Durham, North Carolina
International Association of Cardiologists (2018)
- Honor Roll Physician in Cardiology
Forbes Magazine (2017)
- Meritorious Achievement Award
American Heart Association (2013)
- America's Top Cardiologists
Guide to America's top Cardiologists (2008)
- The Santiago Ramon y Cajal Research Award
National Minority Leadership Summit on Health Disparities (2006)
American Heart Association (2005)
American College of Cardiology (2005)
Society of Geriatric Cardiology (2001)
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- Association of American Physicians European Society of Cardiology Fellow
- Association of University Cardiologists
- Society of Geriatric Cardiology