Shawn Shah, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Shawn Shah, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases.
Dr. Shah holds a bachelor's degree in microbiology/immunology and economics from the University of Miami, where he graduated magna cum laude. He received his medical degree from Florida State University College of Medicine and completed internal medicine residency training at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire. He then obtained advanced training through fellowships in gastroenterology and hepatology, and advanced endoscopy at New York Presbyterian Hospital and Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in gastroenterology, Dr. Shah joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020.
Dr. Shah's research interests include bariatric endoscopy and post-bariatric complication, early detection and management of early gastrointestinal neoplasia, and novel endoscopic resection techniques. He has presented his research at numerous national meetings and has published his original research in peer-reviewed journals, case reports, and textbooks.
Dr. Shah's clinical interests include advanced endoscopy, pancreaticobiliary disease, and endoscopic detection and management of early gastrointestinal neoplasms.
Dr. Shah is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, the American Gastroenterological Society, and the American College of Gastroenterology.
- Medical School
- Florida State University College of Medicine (2013)
- Dartmouth - Hitchcock Medical Center (2016), Internal Medicine
- New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center (2019), Gastroenterology/hepatology
- New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center (2020), Advanced Endoscopy
- Bariatric Endoscopy and Post-bariatric Complications
- Novel Endoscopic Resection Techniques for Early Gastrointestinal Neoplasia
- Quality of Detection and Management of Early Colorectal Neoplasia
- I Smell Smoke-The Must Know Details About the N95.
- Carr-Locke DL, Soetikno R, Shah S, Kaltenbach T, Shergill A, Am J Gastroenterol 2020 Oct 115 10 1562-1565
- Obesity is Associated with Worse Outcomes in COVID-19: Analysis of Early Data from New York City.
- Hajifathalian K, Kumar S, Newberry C, Shah S, Fortune B, Krisko T, Ortiz-Pujols S, Zhou XK, Dannenberg AJ, Kumar R, Sharaiha RZ, Obesity (Silver Spring) 2020 09 28 9 1606-1612
- Gastrointestinal Bleeding in Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Matched Case-Control Study.
- Martin TA, Wan DW, Hajifathalian K, Tewani S, Shah SL, Mehta A, Kaplan A, Ghosh G, Choi AJ, Krisko TI, Fortune BE, Crawford CV, Sharaiha RZ, Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2020 Aug
- EUS-guided radiofrequency ablation of a pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor.
- Dawod Q, Shah SL, Fahey TJ, Sharaiha RZ, VideoGIE 2020 May 5 5 203-204
- Gastrointestinal and Hepatic Manifestations of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease in a Large Cohort of Infected Patients From New York: Clinical Implications.
- Hajifathalian K, Krisko T, Mehta A, Kumar S, Schwartz R, Fortune B, Sharaiha R, Gastroenterology 2020 May
- Patients With Irritable Bowel Syndrome Are Willing to Take Substantial Medication Risks for Symptom Relief.
- Shah SL, Janisch NH, Crowell M, Lacy BE, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2020 Apr
- SARS-COV-2 infection (coronavirus disease 2019) for the gastrointestinal consultant.
- Hajifathalian K, Mahadev S, Schwartz RE, Shah S, Sampath K, Schnoll-Sussman F, Brown RS, Carr-Locke D, Cohen DE, Sharaiha RZ, World J Gastroenterol 2020 Apr 26 14 1546-1553
- EUS-guided gallbladder drainage: a learning curve modified by technical progress.
- Tyberg A, Jha K, Shah S, Kedia P, Gaidhane M, Kahaleh M, Endosc Int Open 2020 Jan 8 1 E92-E96
- Safety and efficacy of digital single-operator pancreatoscopy for obstructing pancreatic ductal stones.
- Brewer Gutierrez OI, Raijman I, Shah RJ, Elmunzer BJ, Webster GJM, Pleskow D, Sherman S, Sturgess RP, Sejpal DV, Ko C, Maurano A, Adler DG, Mullady DK, Strand DS, DiMaio CJ, Piraka C, Sharahia R, Dbouk MH, Han S, Spiceland CM, Bekkali NLH, Gabr M, Bick B, Dwyer LK, Han D, Buxbaum J, Zulli C, Cosgrove N, Wang AY, Carr-Locke D, Kerdsirichairat T, Aridi HD, Moran R, Shah S, Yang J, Sanaei O, Parsa N, Kumbhari V, Singh VK, Khashab MA, Endosc Int Open 2019 Jul 7 7 E896-E903
- Efficacy of Endoscopic Interventions for the Management of Obesity: a Meta-analysis to Compare Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty, AspireAssist, and Primary Obesity Surgery Endolumenal.
- Khan Z, Khan MA, Hajifathalian K, Shah S, Abdul M, Saumoy M, Aronne L, Lee W, Sharaiha RZ, Obes Surg 2019 07 29 7 2287-2298
Nutrition, Weight and Digestive Health
Mehta A, Shah SL, Saunders K, et. al. (2020). Springer Nature
My Wish List for PD Drainage. In AEG Manuals of EUS
Shah SL, Kahaleh M. (2018). Vinay Dhir
Endoscopic Ultrasound-guided Pancreatic Duct Drainage. In Interventional Endoscopic Ultrasound: A Clinical Guide
Shah SL, Tyberg A. (2017). Springer
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty. In Bariatric Endoscopy, 2nd Ed.
Shah SL, Sharaiha RZ (2017). Springer
Peptic Ulcer Disease and H. Pylori, Ischemic Colitis. In Gastrointestinal Diseases for Netter's Integrated Review of Medicine
Shah SL, Ghosh G (2017). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Golden Goose Teaching Award
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (2015)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
Florida State University College of Medicine (2012)
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- New York Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- The Obesity Society