Dr. Addo earned his medical degree, completed internal medicine residency training, and completed a fellowship in cardiovascular disease at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He received advanced training in interventional cardiology through two additional fellowships at Lenox Hill Hospital and Columbia University Medical Center, both in New York.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in cardiovascular diseases and interventional cardiology, Dr. Addo joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2006. In addition to his clinical work, he serves as Director of the Interventional Cardiology Fellowship Program.
Many of Dr. Addo’s coronary heart disease patients have angina, abnormal cardiovascular stress tests, or abnormal CT scan of the coronary arteries. He also sees patients with complicated coronary disease, including totally occluded arteries, calcified arteries, and multiple diseased vessels. He specializes in interventional procedures for treating coronary heart disease and peripheral arterial disease. Dr. Addo is an expert at using less-invasive treatments and specialized techniques involving balloons and stents to restore cardiac or lower extremity circulation, allowing patients to return to full-function capacity as quickly as possible.
Dr. Addo’s research interests include the detection and management of myocardial ischemia, techniques and technologies for endovascular revascularization, and interventional management of hypertension.
He is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and a nationally recognized educator and investigator. He participates in several scientific national meetings annually and is an ad-hoc reviewer for multiple scientific journals, including Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions, The American Journal of Cardiology, and the Journal of Invasive Cardiology.
Dr. Addo is a member of the American Heart Association, the American Medical Association, the Association of Black Cardiologists, and the Cardiovascular Research Foundation, among other professional organizations.
Among his many honors, Dr. Addo received an Army Achievement Commendation in 2005 from the United States Army Reserve for his service during Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1997)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2003), Cardiology
- Lenox Hill Hospital (2004), Interventional Cardiology
- Research Fellowship
- Columbia University Medical Center (2005), Interventional Cardiology
- Detection of myocardial ischemia
- Endovascular support for advanced heart failure
- Techniques and technologies for endovascular revascularization
- Telephone-based reminder to improve safety after percutaneous coronary intervention
- Chidester J, Bennett D, Mathew C, Denkins T, Vigen R, Addo T, Das S Scientific reports 2022 Dec 12
- Long-term outcomes after catheter-based renal artery denervation for resistant hypertension: final follow-up of the randomised SYMPLICITY HTN-3 Trial
- Author Collaboration SH, Bhatt DL, Vaduganathan M, Kandzari DE, Leon MB, Rocha-Singh K, Townsend RR, Katzen BT, Oparil S, Brar S, DeBruin V, Fahy M, Bakris GL, Bakris G, Cohen SA, D'Agostino R, Esler M, Flack J, Katzen B, Leon M, Mauri L, Negoita M, Townsend R, Abbud Z, Addo T, Anderson D, Angle J, Aronow H, Babaev A, Benzuly K, Brar S, Brown D, Calhoun D, Casale P, Chaffer S, Choi J, Chung E, Cohen DL, Creager M, Dangas G, Dauerman H, David S, Davies M, de Marchena E, Denktas AE, Devireddy C, Downey W, Dunlap M, Fisher D, Hastings J, Marso S The Lancet 2022 Oct 400 1405-1416
- Evidence of Reduced Efferent Renal Sympathetic Innervation after Chemical Renal Denervation in Humans
- Hearon CM, Howden EJ, Fu Q, Yoo JK, Dias KA, Roberts-Reeves MA, Samels M, Sarma S, Nesbitt S, Vongpatanasin W, Goldstein DS, Addo T, Levine BD American Journal of Hypertension 2021 Jul 34 744-752
- Clinical outcomes and cost comparisons of stent and non-stent interventions in infrainguinal peripheral artery disease: Insights from the excellence in Peripheral artery Disease (XLPAD) registry
- Banerjee S, Jeon-Slaughter H, Armstrong EJ, Bajzer C, Abu-Fadel M, Khalili H, Prasad A, Bou Dargham B, Kamath P, Addo T, Luna M, Gigliotti O, Foteh M, Cawich I, Kinlay S, Ali M, Ramanan B, Niazi K, Tsai S, Shammas NW, Brilakis ES Journal of Invasive Cardiology 2019 31 1-9
- Comparative Effectiveness Study of Drug-Eluting and Bare-Metal Peripheral Artery Stents in Endovascular Femoropopliteal Artery Revascularization
- Jeon-Slaughter H, Khalili H, Tsai S, Armstrong EJ, Shammas NW, Jawaid O, Lu H, Addo T, Gigliotti O, Abu-Fadel M, Banerjee S Journal of Invasive Cardiology 2018 Oct 30 373-379
- Radiation safety in the catheterization laboratory: Current perspectives and practices
- Menon R, Karatasakis A, Patel S, Danek BA, Karacsonyi J, Rangan BV, Addo T, Kumbhani D, Kapadia S, Luna M, Mahmud E, Chambers C, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES Journal of Invasive Cardiology 2018 Aug 30 296-300
- Mortality following cardiovascular and bleeding events occurring beyond 1 year after coronary stenting: A secondary analysis of the Dual Antiplatelet Therapy (DAPT) Study
- Author Collaboration DA, Secemsky EA, Yeh RW, Kereiakes DJ, Cutlip DE, Cohen DJ, Steg PG, Cannon CP, Apruzzese PK, D'Agostino RB, Massaro JM, Mauri L, Kaplan A, Ahmed A, Ahmed AH, Albirini A, Moreyra A, Rabinowitz A, Shroff A, Moak A, Jacobs A, Kabour A, Gupta A, Irimpen A, Rosenthal A, Taussig A, Ferraro A, Chhabra A, Pucillo A, Spaedy A, White A, Pratsos A, Shakir A, Ghitis A, Agarwal A, Jain A, Chawla A, Tang A, Barker B, Bertolet B, Uretsky B, Erickson B, Rama B, McLaurin B, Dearing B, Negus B, Price B, Brott B, Bhambi B, Banerjee S, Addo T JAMA Cardiology 2017 May 2 478-487
- Primary and rescue PCI in acute myocardial infarction and elements of myocardial conditioning
- Addo T, Swanson N, Gershlick A 2016 Nov 155-162
- Comparative Assessment of Procedure Cost and Outcomes Between Guidewire and Crossing Device Strategies to Cross Peripheral Artery Chronic Total Occlusions
- Banerjee S, Jeon-Slaughter H, Tsai S, Mohammad A, Foteh M, Abu-Fadel M, Gigliotti OS, Cawich I, Rodriguez G, Kumbhani D, Addo T, Luna M, Das TS, Prasad A, Armstrong EJ, Shammas NW, Brilakis ES JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions 2016 Nov 9 2243-2252
- Optical coherence tomography findings after chronic total occlusion interventions: Insights from the “AngiographiC evaluation of the everolimus-eluting stent in chronic Total occlusions” (ACE-CTO) study (NCT01012869)
- Sherbet DP, Christopoulos G, Karatasakis A, Danek BA, Kotsia A, Navara R, Michael TT, Roesle M, Rangan BV, Haagen D, Garcia S, Maniu C, Pershad A, Abdullah SM, Hastings JL, Kumbhani DJ, Luna M, Addo T, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES Cardiovascular Revascularization Medicine 2016 Oct 17 444-449
Honors & Awards
- Active Duty, Army Achievement Commendation
United States Army Reserves for Service during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom (2005-2006)
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- American Medical Association
- Cardiovascular Research Foundation