Dr. Enwerem received her medical education at the University of Lagos in Lagos, Nigeria. She then earned a master's degree in public health from the Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, where she also obtained a certificate in Public Health Economics. She completed her internal medicine residency training at Howard University Hospital in Washington, D.C., and attained advanced training through a gastroenterology and hepatology fellowship at the University of California San Diego as an NIH funded T-32 fellow.
Dr. Enwerem's research focus includes population health, colorectal cancer screening, small bowel capsule endoscopy, luminal GI diseases like microscopic colitis and clostridium difficile. She serves as a local site investigator for the OPTION trial, a study that seeks to identify the optimal treatment of clostridium difficile, and has a grant to study microscopic colitis.
Her clinical interests include gastroenterology, hepatology, and health care technology.
Dr. Enwerem joined the UTSW faculty in 2020.
- Capsule endoscopy
- Clinical Services researcher
- Clostridium Difficile
- Colorectal cancer screening and prevention
- Microscopic colitis.
- Population Health
- Systematic Review of Prevalence, Risk Factors, and Risk for Metachronous Advanced Neoplasia in Patients With Young-Onset Colorectal Adenoma.
- Enwerem N, Cho MY, Demb J, Earles A, Heskett KM, Liu L, Singh S, Gupta S, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2020 May
- Inferior Outcomes of Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction and Comorbid Protein-Energy Malnutrition.
- Adejumo AC, Adejumo KL, Adegbala OM, Enwerem N, Ofosu A, Akanbi O, Fijabi DO, Ogundipe OA, Pani L, Adeboye A, JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2020 Mar 44 3 454-462
- The Role of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1 in Mild Cognitive Impairment.
- Iyalomhe O, Swierczek S, Enwerem N, Chen Y, Adedeji MO, Allard J, Ntekim O, Johnson S, Hughes K, Kurian P, Obisesan TO, Cell. Mol. Neurobiol. 2017 Aug 37 6 969-977
- Effect modification by race-ethnicity of environmental tobacco smoke exposure on airway inflammation in US children.
- Mehari A, Enwerem N, Odeyemi Y, Gillum RF, Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2015 Dec 115 6 477-80
- Social Support and Sleep Symptoms in U.S. Adults.
- Glenn C, Enwerem N, Odeyemi Y, Mehari A, Gillum RF, J Clin Sleep Med 2015 Aug 11 8 957
- Differential Impact of Comorbidities on Cost of Care amongst patients hospitalized for Acute Pancreatitis
- Enwerem N, Obirieze A, Laiyemo A, Gillum R. Am J Gastroenterol 2015 110 S994
- Estimating the influence of maternal height on under-five mortality in Nigeria.
- Enwerem NY, Obirieze AC, Bishai DM, Afr J Reprod Health 2014 Mar 18 1 54-60
- The effect of ballooning following carotid stent deployment on hemodynamic stability.
- Qazi U, Obeid TE, Enwerem N, Schneider E, White JR, Freischlag JA, Perler BA, Malas MB, J. Vasc. Surg. 2014 Mar 59 3 756-60
- Comparison of surgical bypass with angioplasty and stenting of superficial femoral artery disease.
- Malas MB, Enwerem N, Qazi U, Brown B, Schneider EB, Reifsnyder T, Freischlag JA, Perler BA, J. Vasc. Surg. 2014 Jan 59 1 129-35
- National cost of trauma care by payer status.
- Velopulos CG, Enwerem NY, Obirieze A, Hui X, Hashmi ZG, Scott VK, Cornwell EE, Schneider EB, Haider AH, J. Surg. Res. 2013 Sep 184 1 444-9
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- AASLD Emerging Liver Scholar
- Howard University Outstanding Scholarly activity
- American College of Gastroenterology (2016)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2016)
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2017)