Dr Enwerem received her medical degree from the University of Lagos in Lagos, Nigeria. After her medical school, she attended Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, earning a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree and a certificate in Public Health Economics. She completed her Internal Medicine residency training at Howard University Hospital in Washington, DC, and her Gastroenterology and Hepatology fellowship at University of California, San Diego. She brings a strong background in general gastroenterology, endoscopy and hepatology.
Dr Enwerem’s clinical and research interests include-Young onset colorectal adenomas and cancers, colorectal cancer screening and prevention, and microscopic colitis. She is also interested in medical education, and as part of the UCSD Health Sciences International bridge to residency program, taught USMLE Step 2CK for two consecutive years.
- Colorectal cancer screening and prevention
- Health care disparities and Outcomes research
- Medical Education
- Microscopic colitis.
- Young onset colorectal adenomas and cancers
- Systematic Review of Prevalence, Risk Factors, and Risk for Metachronous Advanced Neoplasia in Patients With Young-Onset Colorectal Adenoma.
- Enwerem N, Cho MY, Demb J, Earles A, Heskett KM, Liu L, Singh S, Gupta S, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2020 May
- Inferior Outcomes of Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction and Comorbid Protein-Energy Malnutrition.
- Adejumo AC, Adejumo KL, Adegbala OM, Enwerem N, Ofosu A, Akanbi O, Fijabi DO, Ogundipe OA, Pani L, Adeboye A, JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2020 Mar 44 3 454-462
- The Role of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1 in Mild Cognitive Impairment.
- Iyalomhe O, Swierczek S, Enwerem N, Chen Y, Adedeji MO, Allard J, Ntekim O, Johnson S, Hughes K, Kurian P, Obisesan TO, Cell. Mol. Neurobiol. 2017 Aug 37 6 969-977
- Effect modification by race-ethnicity of environmental tobacco smoke exposure on airway inflammation in US children.
- Mehari A, Enwerem N, Odeyemi Y, Gillum RF, Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2015 Dec 115 6 477-80
- Social Support and Sleep Symptoms in U.S. Adults.
- Glenn C, Enwerem N, Odeyemi Y, Mehari A, Gillum RF, J Clin Sleep Med 2015 Aug 11 8 957
- Differential Impact of Comorbidities on Cost of Care amongst patients hospitalized for Acute Pancreatitis
- Enwerem N, Obirieze A, Laiyemo A, Gillum R. Am J Gastroenterol 2015 110 S994
- Estimating the influence of maternal height on under-five mortality in Nigeria.
- Enwerem NY, Obirieze AC, Bishai DM, Afr J Reprod Health 2014 Mar 18 1 54-60
- The effect of ballooning following carotid stent deployment on hemodynamic stability.
- Qazi U, Obeid TE, Enwerem N, Schneider E, White JR, Freischlag JA, Perler BA, Malas MB, J. Vasc. Surg. 2014 Mar 59 3 756-60
- Comparison of surgical bypass with angioplasty and stenting of superficial femoral artery disease.
- Malas MB, Enwerem N, Qazi U, Brown B, Schneider EB, Reifsnyder T, Freischlag JA, Perler BA, J. Vasc. Surg. 2014 Jan 59 1 129-35
- National cost of trauma care by payer status.
- Velopulos CG, Enwerem NY, Obirieze A, Hui X, Hashmi ZG, Scott VK, Cornwell EE, Schneider EB, Haider AH, J. Surg. Res. 2013 Sep 184 1 444-9
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- AASLD Emerging Liver Scholar
- Howard University Outstanding Scholarly activity
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2017)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2016)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2016)