Dr. Youssef was born in Greenville, SC and completed his undergraduate education at the University of Pittsburgh with a major in Neuroscience. He completed his medical education at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) where he furthered his neurology education with several research projects, winning a grant from the American Brain Tumor Association to study glioblastoma both molecularly and radiographically. After completing medical school he completed his residency in Houston, TX at Baylor College of Medicine in the department of Neurology. He continued to perform research on high grade gliomas, as well as low grade gliomas while in residency. This then led to a fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center where he continued to learn neuro-oncology and continue to work on several research projects that have been presented at multiple national meetings and published in several medical journals.
Dr. Youssef now sees patients with both low and high grade gliomas, as well as other brain tumors including medulloblastoma, ependymoma, meningiomas, and rare brain tumors. He also sees patients with neurologic complications of systemic cancer therapy, brain metastasis, and leptomeningeal disease.
- Medical School
- Medical University of South Carolina (2014)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2018), Neurology
- MD Anderson Cancer Center (2020), Neuro-oncology
- Cancer Neurology
- Low grade gliomas
- Rare brain tumors
- Distance traveled to glioblastoma treatment: A measure of the impact of socioeconomic status on survival.
- Bird CE, Traylor JI, Youssef M, Abdullah KG, Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2021 Aug 209 106909
- IDH mutation status and the development of venous thromboembolism in astrocytoma patients.
- Mandel JJ, Youssef M, Yust-Katz S, Patel AJ, Jalali A, Li Z, Wu J, Ludmir EB, de Groot JF, J Neurol Sci 2021 Jun 427 117538
- Paraneoplastic syndromes in small cell lung cancer
- Soomro Z, Youssef M, Yust-Katz S, Jalali A, Patel A, Mandel J Journal of Thoracic Disease 2020
- Treatment strategies for glioblastoma in older patients: age is just a number.
- Youssef M, Ludmir EB, Mandel JJ, Patel AJ, Jalali A, Treiber J, Wu J, McAleer MF, de Groot JF, J. Neurooncol. 2019 Oct
- Recurrent Papillary Glioneuronal Tumor.
- Goethe EA, Youssef M, Patel AJ, Jalali A, Goodman JC, Mandel JJ, World Neurosurg 2019 Aug 128 127-130
- Effect of health disparities on overall survival of patients with glioblastoma.
- Mandel JJ, Youssef M, Nam J, Patel AJ, Jalali A, Ludmir EB, Liu D, Wu J, Armstrong G, Huse J, Bondy M, de Groot JF, J. Neurooncol. 2019 Apr 142 2 365-374
- Treatment Strategies for Glioblastoma in Older Patients: Age is Just a Number.
- Youssef M., Ludmir E., Mandel J., Patel AJ., Jalali A., Treiber J., Wu J., McAleer M., de Groot J. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 2019 145 357-364
- Highlighting the need for reliable clinical trials in glioblastoma.
- Mandel JJ, Youssef M, Ludmir E, Yust-Katz S, Patel AJ, De Groot JF, Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2018 10 18 10 1031-1040
- Neurologic complications of immune checkpoint inhibitors in cancer patients.
- Youssef M, Woodman K Neurology 2018
- Recent Advances for Targeted Therapies in Glioblastoma. In: Somasundaram K. (eds) Advances in Biology and Treatment of Glioblastoma.
- Youssef M., Mandel J., Chowdhary S., Kesari S. Current Cancer Research 2017
Metabolic and Nutritional Nervous System Dysfunction in Cancer Patients. In Neurological Complications of Systemic Cancer and Antineoplastic Therapy, Second Edition
Youssef M, Beal T, Mandel J (2020). Newton/Malkin
Recent Advances for Targeted Therapies in Glioblastoma. In Advances in Biology and Treatment of Glioblastoma
Youssef M., Mandel J., Chowdhary S., Kesari S. (2017). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Chief Fellow, MD Anderson Cancer Center Department of Neuro-Oncology
- American Brain Tumor Association, Summer research grant recipiant
Research performed on GBM imaging and response to Temozolomide in patients exposed to O6-BG (2011-2011)
- American Academy of Neurology (2014)
- Society for Neuro-Oncology (2018)