Dr. Lieber is originally from New Jersey and received her medical training at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. She completed her internal medicine residency at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York, and then pursued advanced training with fellowships in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. There she also completed a Master in Science in Clinical Research from the Department of Epidemiology at the Gillings School of Public Health. She joined UT Southwestern as a faculty member in 2020 in the Division of Digestive and Liver Disease. Dr. Lieber brings to UT Southwestern a strong background in advanced liver disease, clinical research, and ethics. In 2018, she received the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (AASLD) Innovation Award followed by the AASLD Advanced/Transplant Hepatology Award in 2019. Her clinical practice emphasizes patient-centered care for individuals with advanced liver disease in need of liver transplantation. Her research interests are focused in liver transplantation outcomes, patient reported outcomes, and health behavior intervention design. Dr. Lieber’s interests outside of medicine include spending time with her family, dog, cooking, cycling, and traveling.
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (2013)
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (2016), Internal Medicine
- Graduate School
- Gillings School of Public Health - University of North Carolina (2019)
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (2019), Gastroenterology
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (2020), Transplant Hepatology
- Health Behavior Intervention Design
- Liver Transplantation Outcomes
- Patient-reported Outcomes in Advanced Liver Disease and Liver Transplantation
- Complications of Anesthesia Services in Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Procedures.
- Lieber SR, Heller BJ, Martin CF, Howard CW, Crockett S, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2020 Aug 18 9 2118-2127.e4
- Complications Associated with Anesthesia Services in Endoscopic Procedures Among Patients with Cirrhosis.
- Lieber SR, Heller BJ, Howard CW, Sandler RS, Crockett S, Barritt AS, Hepatology 2020 Mar
- Opioid prescriptions are associated with hepatic encephalopathy in a national cohort of patients with compensated cirrhosis.
- Moon AM, Jiang Y, Rogal SS, Tapper EB, Lieber SR, Barritt AS, Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2020 03 51 6 652-660
- The impact of post-transplant diabetes mellitus on liver transplant outcomes.
- Lieber SR, Lee RA, Jiang Y, Reuter C, Watkins R, Szempruch K, Gerber DA, Desai CS, DeCherney GS, Barritt AS, Clin Transplant 2019 06 33 6 e13554
- A New Approach to Hemostasis in Acute Variceal Bleeding: Oh Spray Can You See?
- Lieber SR, Dellon ES, Gastroenterology 2019 03 156 4 1211-1213
- Burden and Cost of Gastrointestinal, Liver, and Pancreatic Diseases in the United States: Update 2018.
- Peery AF, Crockett SD, Murphy CC, Lund JL, Dellon ES, Williams JL, Jensen ET, Shaheen NJ, Barritt AS, Lieber SR, Kochar B, Barnes EL, Fan YC, Pate V, Galanko J, Baron TH, Sandler RS, Gastroenterology 2019 01 156 1 254-272.e11
- Pretransplant Psychosocial Risk Factors May Not Predict Late Nonadherence and Graft Rejection in Adult Liver Transplant Recipients.
- Lieber SR, Helcer J, Leven E, Knight CS, Wlodarkiewicz C, Shenoy A, Shemesh E, Florman SS, Schiano TD, Annunziato RA, Exp Clin Transplant 2018 10 16 5 533-540
- Promoting Research with Organ Transplant Patients.
- Lieber SR, Schiano TD, Rhodes R, IRB 2018 Sep-Oct 40 5 1-10
- Should living donor liver transplantation be an option when deceased donation is not?
- Lieber SR, Schiano TD, Rhodes R, J. Hepatol. 2018 05 68 5 1076-1082
- Controversies in clinical trials for alcoholic hepatitis.
- Lieber SR, Rice JP, Lucey MR, Bataller R, J. Hepatol. 2018 03 68 3 586-592
Individual Rights versus the Public Interest: Outbreak. In The Picture of Health: Medical Ethics and the Movies
Lieber SR (2015). New York, Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- AASLD Advanced/Transplant Hepatology Award
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2019-2021)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2019)
- AASLD Innovation Fund
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2018-2020)
- American Society for Transplantation (2020)
- AGA Institute Ethics Committee (2019-2021)
- European Association for Study of Liver Disease (2017)
- American Gastroenterology Association (2016)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2015)