Salwan Al Mutar, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Salwan Al Mutar, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Hematology and Oncology.
Dr. Al Mutar earned his medical degree at the Al-Mustansiriyah University College of Medicine in Iraq. He completed internal medicine residency training at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit. He then completed advanced training through a fellowship in medical oncology at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston and a clinical research fellowship in gastrointestinal cancer at The Ohio State University.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in medical oncology, Dr. Al Mutar joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020.
Dr. Al Mutar’s clinical and research interests include gastrointestinal cancers, geriatric oncology, and improving cancer care quality and delivery. Dr. Al Mutar obtained a master's degree in Translational Pharmacology and Clinical Trial Design Specialization from the Ohio State University in December 2021 to strengthen that commitment to improve access to high-quality clinical trials. As a medical oncologist, he specializes in treating gastrointestinal cancers.
Dr. Al Mutar is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology and the American Association for Cancer Research.
Dr. Al Mutar’s interests outside of medicine include soccer, water sports, and traveling.
- Medical School
- University of Al-Mustansiririah College of Medicine, Iraq (2011)
- Wayne State University School of Medicine (2017), Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Medical Branch (2019), Medical Oncology
- Research Fellowship
- The Ohio State University Medical Center (2020), Gi Oncology
- Gastrointestinal Oncology
- Geriatric Oncology
- Quality of Care Improvement
- Oxaliplatin-induced Pulmonary Toxicity: A Rare but Serious Complication.
- Suthar KH, Al Mutar S, Venkatesan R, Cureus 2020 Mar 12 3 e7483
Honors & Awards
- Ohio State Honor Society
Ohio State University (2019)
- American Association of Cancer Research (2019)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2017)
- American Society of Hematology (2017)