Andrew Gelfand, M.D., earned his medical degree and completed a residency in pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine. He subsequently completed additional advanced training in pediatric pulmonology through a fellowship at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and the National Jewish Center.
Certified by the American Board of Pediatrics, Dr. Gelfand practices at UT Southwestern, Children’s Health, and Our Children’s House, where he serves as Chief Medical Officer. Our Children’s House is a pediatric subspecialty hospital with three primary programs which include acute rehabilitation, a feeding program for children who have trouble eating and drinking by mouth, and a ventilator program to help families transition home with children who need extra support for their breathing.
Dr. Gelfand is Chief of the Division of Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine within UT Southwestern’s Department of Pediatrics. and Chief of Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine at Children’s Health.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1990)
- Baylor College of Medicine (1991), Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine (1993), Pediatrics
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (1996), Pediatric Pulmonology
- National Jewish Center (1996), Immunology & Respiratory Disease
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Chronic Ventilation in Children
- Cystic fibrosis
- Expanding the phenotype of congenital central hypoventilation syndrome impacts management decisions.
- Byers HM, Chen M, Gelfand AS, Ong B, Jendras M, Glass IA Am. J. Med. Genet. A 2018 Apr
- Palivizumab prophylaxis of respiratory syncytial virus disease in 2000-2001: results from The Palivizumab Outcomes Registry.
- Parnes C, Guillermin J, Habersang R, Nicholes P, Chawla V, Kelly T, Fishbein J, McRae P, Goessler M, Gatti A, Calcagno JA, Eki C, Harris KA, Joyave J, McFarland K, Protter P, Sullivan M, Stanford A, Lovett N, Ortiz M, Rojas S, Cyrus S, Cyrus J, Cohen S, Buchin D, Riordan L, Zuniga M, Shah R, Minard C, Quintin A, Douglas G, van Houten J, Freutner S, Chartrand S, Nowatzke P, Romero J, Rhodes T, Benoit M, Walter E, Walker L, DeBonnett L, Cross M, Free T, Martin S, Shank K, Guedes B, Atkinson LA, Halpin GJ, Rouse K, Hand I, Geiss D, Marshall JR, Burleson L, Boland J, Seybold K, Hunter V, Unfer S, Schmucker J, Gley M, Marcus M, Thompson P, Milla P, Young C, Zanni R, Zinno V, Fetter-Zarzeka A, Busey A, Sokunbi MA, Airington S, Richard N, Muraligopal V, Lewis S, Weber FT, Giordano BP, Linehan D, Roach J, Davis R, Rzepka AA, Booth T, Smeltzer D, Walsh J, Arispe E, Rowley R, Bolling C, Botts T, Haskett K, Raby D, Batiz E, Gelfand A, Farrell L, Butler S, Colby L, Schochet P, Bentler J, Hirsch D, Wilkinson L, Aaronson A, Bennett E, Wingate J, Quinn D, Komendowski K, Deckard M, Frogel M, Nerwen C, Copenhaver S, Prater M, Wolsztein J, Mackey K, Benbow M, Naranjo M, Hensley S, Hayes C, Sadeghi H, Lawson SM, McCall M, Combs K, Ledbetter J, Sarnosky K, Swafford C, Speer M, Barton WJ, Mink JW, Lemm D, Hudak M, Case E, Rowen J, Fuentes S, Pane C, Richardson L, Chavarria C, Cassino D, Ghaffari K, Carroll C, Lee H, Guclu L, Johnson C, Blum V, Boron ML, Sorrentino M, Hirsch RL, Van Veldhuisen PC, Smith C Pediatr. Pulmonol. 2003 Jun 35 6 484-9
- Active intestinal chloride secretion in human carriers of cystic fibrosis mutations: an evaluation of the hypothesis that heterozygotes have subnormal active intestinal chloride secretion.
- Högenauer C, Santa Ana CA, Porter JL, Millard M, Gelfand A, Rosenblatt RL, Prestidge CB, Fordtran JS Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2000 Dec 67 6 1422-7
- Human respiratory syncytial virus produces prolonged alterations of neural control in airways of developing ferrets.
- Colasurdo GN, Hemming VG, Prince GA, Gelfand AS, Loader JE, Larsen GL Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 1998 May 157 5 Pt 1 1506-11
- Effect of aspiration of milk on mechanisms of neural control in the airways of developing rabbits.
- Gelfand AS, Larsen GL, Loader JE, Graves JP, Fan LL, Colasurdo GN Pediatr. Pulmonol. 1997 Mar 23 3 198-204
Honors & Awards
- Top Doctors
US News & World Report / Castle Connolly (2018)
- "Mom-Approved Docs"
DFW Child Magazine (2016-2018)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly (2008-2021)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2001)
- Best Pediatric Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (1996-2021)
- Best Doctors in America
2003, 2007, 2015, 2016-2018
- Outstanding Community Practitioner
Children's Medical Center, Dallas (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) (2002)
- American Medical Association (1996)
- American Thoracic Society (1996)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1996)
- Dallas Pediatric Society (2000)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (1996)