- Medical School
- Damascus University School of Medicine, Syria (2010)
- Washington Hospital Center/Georgetown University Hospital (2014), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Harvard University T.H Chan School of public health (2017)
- Graduate School
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (2017)
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (2019), Gastroenterology
- Bariatric endoscopy
- Esophageal Cancer
- Pancreaticobiliary cancer
- Surgical outcomes of ERCP-guided transpapillary gallbladder drainage versus percutaneous cholecystostomy as bridging therapies for acute cholecystitis followed by interval cholecystectomy.
- Kaura K, Bazerbachi F, Sawas T, Levy MJ, Martin JA, Storm AC, Wise KB, Reisenauer CJ, Abu Dayyeh BK, D Topazian M, Petersen BT, Schiller HJ, Chandrasekhara V, HPB (Oxford) 2020 Jul 22 7 996-1003
- ERCP-directed electrohydraulic lithotripsy for treatment of cystic duct and remnant gallbladder stones.
- Marya NB, Martin JA, Sawas T, Abu Dayyeh BK, Levy MJ, Storm AC, Petersen BT, Chandrasekhara V, VideoGIE 2020 Jul 5 7 300-303
- Cholangioscopy Biopsies Improve Detection of Cholangiocarcinoma When Combined with Cytology and FISH, but Not in Patients with PSC.
- Kaura K, Sawas T, Bazerbachi F, Storm AC, Martin JA, Gores GJ, Abu Dayyeh BK, Topazian MD, Levy MJ, Petersen BT, Chandrasekhara V, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2020 May 65 5 1471-1478
- Safety and histologic outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection with a novel articulating knife for esophageal neoplasia.
- Genere JR, Priyan H, Sawas T, Hanada Y, Visrodia K, Zakko L, Iyer PG, Wong Kee Song LM, Wang KK, Gastrointest. Endosc. 2020 Apr 91 4 797-805
- An innovative technique using a percutaneously placed guidewire allows for higher success rate for ERCP compared to balloon enteroscopy assistance in Roux-en-Y gastric bypass anatomy.
- Sawas T, Storm AC, Bazerbachi F, Fleming CJ, Vargas EJ, Chandrasekhara V, Andrews JC, Levy MJ, Martin JA, Petersen BT, Topazian MD, Abu Dayyeh BK, Surg Endosc 2020 02 34 2 806-813
- Discovery, Validation, and Application of Novel Methylated DNA Markers for Detection of Esophageal Cancer in Plasma.
- Qin Y, Wu CW, Taylor WR, Sawas T, Burger KN, Mahoney DW, Sun Z, Yab TC, Lidgard GP, Allawi HT, Buttar NS, Smyrk TC, Iyer PG, Katzka DA, Ahlquist DA, Kisiel JB, Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 12 25 24 7396-7404
- Comparison of Phenotypes and Risk Factors for Esophageal Adenocarcinoma at Present vs Prior Decades.
- Sawas T, Azad N, Killcoyne S, Iyer PG, Wang KK, Fitzgerald RC, Katzka DA, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019 Nov
- Young Adults With Esophageal Adenocarcinoma Present With More Advanced Stage Tumors and Have Shorter Survival Times.
- Sawas T, Manrique GC, Iyer PG, Wang KK, Katzka DA, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019 08 17 9 1756-1762
- Esophageal overtubes provide no benefit to safety or technical success in upper gastrointestinal tract endoscopic suturing.
- Storm AC, Vargas EJ, Matar R, Wong Kee Song LM, Sawas T, Bazerbachi F, Buttar NS, Topazian MD, Abu Dayyeh BK, Endosc Int Open 2019 Jul 7 7 E919-E921
- Editorial: giving high-grade help to low-grade dysplasia.
- Sawas T, Katzka DA, Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2019 06 49 11 1451-1452
Honors & Awards
- William H. Summerskill Outstanding Research Award
Highest achievement in research for a trainee in clinical sub-specialty fellowship programs in the Mayo Clinic Department of Medicine (2019)
- University of Texas Southwestern (2020)