Luis E. De Las Casas is a Professor of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. De Las Casas received his M.D. degree from Peruvian University Cayetano Heredia, Lima Peru. He completed a year of internship in Pediatrics at Texas Tech University, Texas followed by an Anatomic and Clinical Pathology residency at William Beaumont Army Medical Center and East Carolina University. Subsequently, Dr. De Las Casas completed two fellowships, one of Surgical Pathology at East Carolina University and the other of Cytopathology at University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics.
Prior to joining UTSW Medical Center in 2020, he held faculty appointments in the departments of pathology at the University of Wisconsin, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Texas Tech University Health Science Center, University of Toledo, and University of Rochester.
He is board-certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, as well as Cytopathology. He has an excellent record of peer-reviewed publications, teaching, and professional activities that focus on integrating cytopathology and surgical pathology practices using a personalized multidisciplinary clinical approach.
- Medical School
- Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (1989)
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (1994), Pediatrics
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (1996), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- East Carolina University (1999), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (2000), Cytopathology
- Gynecologic pathology
- Lung cancer pathology
- Superficial CD34-positive fibroblastic tumor: Cytologic features, tissue correlation, ancillary studies, and differential diagnosis of a recently described soft tissue neoplasm.
- Li W, Molnar SL, Mott M, White E, De Las Casas LE, Diagnostic cytopathology 2016 Nov 44 11 926-930
- Ipilimumab-Induced Granulomatous Disease Occurring Simultaneously With Disease Progression in a Patient With Metastatic Melanoma.
- Toumeh A, Sakhi R, Shah S, Arudra SK, De Las Casas LE, Skeel RT, American journal of therapeutics 2016 Jul-Aug 23 4 e1068-71
- Going beyond "Basaloid neoplasm": Fine needle aspiration cytology of epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the parotid gland.
- Molnar SL, Zarka MA, De Las Casas LE, Diagnostic cytopathology 2016 May 44 5 422-5
- Metastatic small cell carcinoma of uterine cervix to the thyroid gland diagnosed by ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration (US-FNA) cytology: a proactive approach.
- Li W, Molnar S, Cantley R, Kurtycz DF, De Las Casas LE, Diagnostic cytopathology 2015 Apr 43 4 349-51
- Phosphorylation of tyrosine 285 of PAK1 facilitates ßPIX/GIT1 binding and adhesion turnover.
- Hammer A, Oladimeji P, De Las Casas LE, Diakonova M, FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology 2015 Mar 29 3 943-59
- Cystic nephroma of the kidney.
- Jain S, Chaitanya Arudra SK, De Las Casas LE, The Journal of urology 2015 Jan 193 1 313-4
- RKIP Inhibits Local Breast Cancer Invasion by Antagonizing the Transcriptional Activation of MMP13.
- Datar I, Feng J, Qiu X, Lewandowski J, Yeung M, Ren G, Aras S, Al-Mulla F, Cui H, Trumbly R, Arudra SK, De Las Casas LE, de la Serna I, Bitar MS, Yeung KC, PloS one 2015 10 8 e0134494
- Pulmonary collision tumor consisting of adenocarcinoma and typical carcinoid--a case report and review of literature.
- Abbi KK, Hameed MK, Jiang Y, De Las Casas LE, Schwann TA, American journal of therapeutics 2014 Nov-Dec 21 6 e234-8
- A multiplex two-color real-time PCR method for quality-controlled molecular diagnostic testing of FFPE samples.
- Yeo J, Crawford EL, Blomquist TM, Stanoszek LM, Dannemiller RE, Zyrek J, De Las Casas LE, Khuder SA, Willey JC, PloS one 2014 9 2 e89395
- Giant Inflammatory Fibroid Polyp of the Descending Colon Treated with Endoscopic Resection.
- Kayyali A, Toumeh A, Ahmad U, De Las Casas LE, Nawras A, ACG case reports journal 2013 Oct 1 1 36-9
Technical considerations of EUS and EUS-FNA.. In Cytology of the Mediastinum and Gut via Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Aspiration.
1. Ricardo H. Bardales, MD, Luis E. De Las Casas, MD, Ali Nawras, MD, and J. Shawn Mallery, MD (2014). Springer
Normal and abnormal placentation.. In Clinical Obstetrics. The Fetus & Mother
2. Korourian S M.D., De Las Casas LE M.D.. (2007). Blackwell
Diagnostic Value of Urine Cytology Examination. In Practical Urologic Cytopathology
De Las Casas LE, M.D., Bardales RH M.D. (2002). Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- Eric A. Schenk Award
Excellence in Teaching | Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine | University of Rochester Medical Center; Rochester, NY (2016-2017)
- Eric A. Schenk Award
Excellence in Teaching | Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine | University of Rochester Medical Center; Rochester, NY (2016-2016)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Pathology | University of Toledo Medical Center; Toledo, OH (2014-2015)
- First place winner of the Peter White Award for Excellence in Scholarly Activity award
The 8th Annual University of Toledo Internal Medicine Research and Clinical Resident Symposium (2012)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Pathology | University of Toledo Medical Center; Toledo, OH (2010-2011)
- Excellence Award for outstanding performance and commitment to research
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul Foster School of Medicine. 3rd Annual Research Colloquium. Title: Value of High Risk HPV DNA Testing in Women 40 Years of Age and Over. Lessons from a County Hospital on the Border. (2009)
- Papanicolaou Research Award,
United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. Title: Value of GLUT 1 immunoreactivity to distinguish benign cystic lesions from cystic metastasis of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck in fine needle aspiration biopsy material (2003)
- Academic Award for the Best Scientific Study
XVI Latin American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology, El Salvador. Title: Uterine cervix cytology in rural areas of El Salvador (1999)
- Distinguished Visitor, San Salvador, El Salvador
For professional contributions in the detection of uterine cervix and mammary cancer. (1999)
- Best Paper
Society of Armed Forces Medical Laboratory Scientists Meeting. Washington, DC (co winner). Title: Metastatic breast cancer mimicking a chondroid neoplasm (1996)