Luis E. De Las Casas is a Professor of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. De Las Casas received his M.D. degree from Peruvian University Cayetano Heredia, Lima Peru. He completed a year of internship in Pediatrics at Texas Tech University, Texas followed by an Anatomic and Clinical Pathology residency at William Beaumont Army Medical Center and East Carolina University. Subsequently, Dr. De Las Casas completed two fellowships, one of Surgical Pathology at East Carolina University and the other of Cytopathology at University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics.
Prior to joining UTSW Medical Center in 2020, he held faculty appointments in the departments of pathology at the University of Wisconsin, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Texas Tech University Health Science Center, University of Toledo, and University of Rochester.
He is board-certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, as well as Cytopathology. He has an excellent record of peer-reviewed publications, teaching, and professional activities that focus on integrating cytopathology and surgical pathology practices using a personalized multidisciplinary clinical approach.
- Medical School
- Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia/Peru (1989)
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (1994), Pediatrics
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (1996), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- East Carolina University (1999), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (2000), Cytopathology
- Gynecologic pathology
- Lung cancer pathology
- Intraoperative cytology when cryostat is not available. A 7-year experience in a Peruvian cancer center.
- Abad-Licham M, Astigueta J, De Las Casas L, Gonzales-Saravia J, Ortiz C, Vásquez O, Bardales RH, Diagn Cytopathol 2023 Feb 51 2 E45-E53
- Shape-Sensing Robotic-Assisted Bronchoscopy with Concurrent use of Radial Endobronchial Ultrasound and Cone Beam Computed Tomography in the Evaluation of Pulmonary Lesions.
- Styrvoky K, Schwalk A, Pham D, Chiu HT, Rudkovskaia A, Madsen K, Carrio S, Kurian EM, De Las Casas L, Abu-Hijleh M, Lung 2022 Dec 200 6 755-761
- Interventional cytopathology, a challenging but gratifying journey.
- De Las Casas L, Semin Diagn Pathol 2022 Nov 39 6 381-382
- Oxidized Regenerated Cellulose (Surgicel®) on Cytology/Histology.
- Kurian EM, Abu-Hijleh M, Lowrey TR, De Las Casas LE, Acta Cytol 2022 Jul 1-4
- Intraoperative cytopathology of thoracic surgery (ICTS). A captivating, worthwhile, and rewarding service line.
- Torrealba JR, Waters J, Opsahl M, Casas LEL, Semin Diagn Pathol 2022 Jan
- GM-CSF drives myelopoiesis, recruitment and polarisation of tumour-associated macrophages in cholangiocarcinoma and systemic blockade facilitates antitumour immunity.
- Ruffolo LI, Jackson KM, Kuhlers PC, Dale BS, Figueroa Guilliani NM, Ullman NA, Burchard PR, Qin SS, Juviler PG, Keilson JM, Morrison AB, Georger M, Jewell R, Calvi LM, Nywening TM, O'Dell MR, Hezel AF, De Las Casas L, Lesinski GB, Yeh JJ, Hernandez-Alejandro R, Belt BA, Linehan DC, Gut 2021 Aug
- Intraoperative Cytology for Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery. A Quality Improvement Analysis.
- De Las Casas LE, Danakas AM, Torrealba JR, Wizorek JJ, Ettel MG, Lada MJ, Brunnström H, Plavnicky J, Sweeney M, Jones CE, Ann Thorac Surg 2021 Mar
- Difficulties in diagnostics of lung tumours in biopsies: an interpathologist concordance study evaluating the international diagnostic guidelines.
- Ericson Lindquist K, Ciornei C, Westbom-Fremer S, Gudinaviciene I, Ehinger A, Mylona N, Urdar R, Lianou M, Svensson F, Seidal T, Haglund F, Dobra K, Béndek M, Bardóczi E, Szablewska A, Witkowski M, Ramnefjell M, De Las Casas LE, Gulyas M, Hegedus A, Micke P, Brunnström H, J Clin Pathol 2021 Feb
- Optimising rapid on-site evaluation-assisted endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration of mediastinal lymph nodes: The real-time cytopathology intervention process.
- Danakas AM, Jones CE, Magguilli M, Lada MJ, Plavnicky J, Parajuli S, Wizorek JJ, Peyre CG, Ettel M, Sweeney M, De Las Casas LE, Cytopathology 2021 Feb
- Pathologists at the Leading Edge of Optimizing the Tumor Tissue Journey for Diagnostic Accuracy and Molecular Testing.
- De Las Casas LE, Hicks DG, Am J Clin Pathol 2021 Feb
Technical considerations of EUS and EUS-FNA.. In Cytology of the Mediastinum and Gut via Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Aspiration.
1. Ricardo H. Bardales, MD, Luis E. De Las Casas, MD, Ali Nawras, MD, and J. Shawn Mallery, MD (2014). Springer
Normal and abnormal placentation.. In Clinical Obstetrics. The Fetus & Mother
2. Korourian S M.D., De Las Casas LE M.D.. (2007). Blackwell
Diagnostic Value of Urine Cytology Examination. In Practical Urologic Cytopathology
De Las Casas LE, M.D., Bardales RH M.D. (2002). Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- Eric A. Schenk Award
Excellence in Teaching | Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine | University of Rochester Medical Center; Rochester, NY (2016-2017)
- Eric A. Schenk Award
Excellence in Teaching | Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine | University of Rochester Medical Center; Rochester, NY (2016-2016)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Pathology | University of Toledo Medical Center; Toledo, OH (2014-2015)
- First place winner of the Peter White Award for Excellence in Scholarly Activity award
The 8th Annual University of Toledo Internal Medicine Research and Clinical Resident Symposium (2012)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Pathology | University of Toledo Medical Center; Toledo, OH (2010-2011)
- Excellence Award for outstanding performance and commitment to research
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul Foster School of Medicine. 3rd Annual Research Colloquium. Title: Value of High Risk HPV DNA Testing in Women 40 Years of Age and Over. Lessons from a County Hospital on the Border. (2009)
- Papanicolaou Research Award,
United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. Title: Value of GLUT 1 immunoreactivity to distinguish benign cystic lesions from cystic metastasis of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck in fine needle aspiration biopsy material (2003)
- Academic Award for the Best Scientific Study
XVI Latin American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology, El Salvador. Title: Uterine cervix cytology in rural areas of El Salvador (1999)
- Distinguished Visitor, San Salvador, El Salvador
For professional contributions in the detection of uterine cervix and mammary cancer. (1999)
- Best Paper
Society of Armed Forces Medical Laboratory Scientists Meeting. Washington, DC (co winner). Title: Metastatic breast cancer mimicking a chondroid neoplasm (1996)