Emily Bufkin, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine and the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and Associate Director for the Combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Residency Program.
Originally from Mississippi, Dr. Bufkin received her bachelor’s degree in biological engineering from Mississippi State University in Starkville, where she graduated summa cum laude. She earned her medical degree at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and completed a residency in internal medicine and pediatrics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, serving her final year as Chief Resident.
Dr. Bufkin joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020.
Dr. Bufkin is a member of the American College of Physicians and the American Academy of Pediatrics. Additionally, she serves as a physician coordinator for Special Olympics Texas.
Dr. Bufkin's clinical interests include improving health care transitions for adults with chronic childhood conditions and improving coordination of care for children with medical complexity.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Bufkin enjoys spending time with her family, exploring local parks, listening to audiobooks, and art.
- Medical School
- University of Mississippi Medical Center (2016)
- University of Alabama of Birmingham (2019), Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
- Chief Resident
- University of Alabama of Birmingham (2020), Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
- Care Coordination for Children with Medical Complexity
- Healthcare Transition of Care
Honors & Awards
- Founder's Fund Recipient
University of Alabama at Birmingham (2018)
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honor Society
University of Mississippi Medical Center (2015)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
Universtiy of Mississippi Medical Center
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2016)
- American College of Physicians (2016)