Heather McArthur, M.D.
Endowed Title Komen Distinguished Chair in Clinical Breast Cancer Research
Department Internal Medicine
Graduate Programs Cancer Biology
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Heather Lynn McArthur, M.D., M.P.H., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of the Division of Hematology and Oncology. She serves as Clinical Director of the Breast Cancer Program at Simmons Cancer Center, and specializes in breast cancer research and treatment.
Originally from Canada, Dr. McArthur received her bachelor's degree from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. She earned her medical degree at the University of Toronto and completed internal medicine residency training at the University of Calgary. She then received advanced training through a medical oncology fellowship at the University of British Columbia and an advanced clinical research fellowship in breast cancer at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York. She also holds a master’s degree in public health from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Dr. McArthur joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021. Previously, she served as Medical Director of Breast Oncology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.
At UT Southwestern, she holds the Komen Distinguished Chair in Clinical Breast Cancer Research. Her research focuses on innovations in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, and she has a special interest in developing immunotherapy strategies.
The author of more than 100 research articles and abstracts, she has been a reviewer for medical journals including Cancer, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Nature, and New England Journal of Medicine. She currently serves as an Associate Editor for Breast Cancer Research and on the editorial boards for Cancer and Breast Cancer Research and Treatment.
She also serves on the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology’s Immuno-Oncology Committee Advisory Council, Oncology Education’s Scientific Steering Committee, and the National Cancer Institute’s Breast Immuno-Oncology Task Force of the Breast Cancer Steering Committee.
Dr. McArthur is a member of the American Association for Cancer Research, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and the Southwest Oncology Group.
- Medical School
- University of Toronto (2001)
- University of Calgary (2004), Internal Medicine
- British Columbia Cancer Vancouver Centre (2006), Medical Oncology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Harvard University (2008)
- Graduate School
- Harvard University School of Public Health (2008)
- Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC) clinical practice guideline on immunotherapy for the treatment of breast cancer.
- Emens LA, Adams S, Cimino-Mathews A, Disis ML, Gatti-Mays ME, Ho AY, Kalinsky K, McArthur HL, Mittendorf EA, Nanda R, Page DB, Rugo HS, Rubin KM, Soliman H, Spears PA, Tolaney SM, Litton JK, J Immunother Cancer 2021 Aug 9 8
- Advances in Combining Radiation and Immunotherapy in Breast Cancer.
- Nguyen AT, Shiao SL, McArthur HL, Clin Breast Cancer 2021 04 21 2 143-152
- Biomarkers of Immune Checkpoint Blockade Response in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer.
- Isaacs J, Anders C, McArthur H, Force J, Curr Treat Options Oncol 2021 03 22 5 38
- A Case Series of Metastatic Metaplastic Breast Carcinoma Treated With Anti-PD-1 Therapy.
- Kim I, Rajamanickam V, Bernard B, Chun B, Wu Y, Martel M, Sun Z, Redmond WL, Sanchez K, Basho R, McArthur H, Page DB, Front Oncol 2021 11 635237
- Immunomodulatory Activity of a Colony-stimulating Factor-1 Receptor Inhibitor in Patients with Advanced Refractory Breast or Prostate Cancer: A Phase I Study.
- Autio KA, Klebanoff CA, Schaer D, Kauh JSW, Slovin SF, Adamow M, Blinder VS, Brahmachary M, Carlsen M, Comen E, Danila DC, Doman TN, Durack JC, Fox JJ, Gluskin JS, Hoffman DM, Kang S, Kang P, Landa J, McAndrew PF, Modi S, Morris MJ, Novosiadly R, Rathkopf DE, Sanford R, Chapman SC, Tate CM, Yu D, Wong P, McArthur HL, Clin Cancer Res 2020 11 26 21 5609-5620
- The path to a better biomarker: application of a risk management framework for the implementation of PD-L1 and TILs as immuno-oncology biomarkers in breast cancer clinical trials and daily practice.
- Gonzalez-Ericsson PI, Stovgaard ES, Sua LF, Reisenbichler E, Kos Z, Carter JM, Michiels S, Le Quesne J, Nielsen TO, Laenkholm AV, Fox SB, Adam J, Bartlett JM, Rimm DL, Quinn C, Peeters D, Dieci MV, Vincent-Salomon A, Cree I, Hida AI, Balko JM, Haynes HR, Frahm I, Acosta-Haab G, Balancin M, Bellolio E, Yang W, Kirtani P, Sugie T, Ehinger A, Castaneda CA, Kok M, McArthur H, Siziopikou K, Badve S, Fineberg S, Gown A, Viale G, Schnitt SJ, Pruneri G, Penault-Llorca F, Hewitt S, Thompson EA, Allison KH, Symmans WF, Bellizzi AM, Brogi E, Moore DA, Larsimont D, Dillon DA, Lazar A, Lien H, Goetz MP, Broeckx G, El Bairi K, Harbeck N, Cimino-Mathews A, Sotiriou C, Adams S, Liu SW, Loibl S, Chen IC, Lakhani SR, Juco JW, Denkert C, Blackley EF, Demaria S, Leon-Ferre R, Gluz O, Zardavas D, Emancipator K, Ely S, Loi S, Salgado R, Sanders M, J Pathol 2020 04 250 5 667-684
- Pembrolizumab for Early Triple-Negative Breast Cancer.
- Schmid P, Cortes J, Pusztai L, McArthur H, Kümmel S, Bergh J, Denkert C, Park YH, Hui R, Harbeck N, Takahashi M, Foukakis T, Fasching PA, Cardoso F, Untch M, Jia L, Karantza V, Zhao J, Aktan G, Dent R, O'Shaughnessy J, N Engl J Med 2020 02 382 9 810-821
- A phase 2 clinical trial?assessing the?efficacy and safety of pembrolizumab and radiotherapy in patients with metastatic triple-negative breast cancer.
- Ho AY, Barker CA, Arnold BB, Powell SN, Hu ZI, Gucalp A, Lebron-Zapata L, Wen HY, Kallman C, D'Agnolo A, Zhang Z, Flynn J, Dunn SA, McArthur HL, Cancer 2020 02 126 4 850-860
- Current Landscape of Immunotherapy in Breast Cancer: A Review.
- Adams S, Gatti-Mays ME, Kalinsky K, Korde LA, Sharon E, Amiri-Kordestani L, Bear H, McArthur HL, Frank E, Perlmutter J, Page DB, Vincent B, Hayes JF, Gulley JL, Litton JK, Hortobagyi GN, Chia S, Krop I, White J, Sparano J, Disis ML, Mittendorf EA, JAMA Oncol 2019 Aug 5 8 1205-1214
- Contemporary Guidelines in Whole-Breast Irradiation: An Alternative Perspective.
- Recht A, McArthur H, Solin LJ, Tendulkar R, Whitley A, Giuliano A, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2019 07 104 3 567-573
Honors & Awards
- Bernard Lee Schwartz Cancer Lectureship
Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center (2021)
- Certificate of Excellence in Recognition of Being in the Top 10% Nationally in Patient Experience Performance of all Physicians in Specialty
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (2020-2021)
- Robert L. Longmire Lectureship
Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center (2020)
- Laura Ziskin Prize in Translational Cancer Research
Stand Up To Cancer (2019)
- LA Goes Pink Award in Tribute to Liz Smagala Tate
Breast Cancer Research Foundation (2018-2020)
- Eileen Dreyer Memorial Lecture Award
SASS Foundation for Medical Research Inc. (2015)
- ASCO Cancer Foundation Merit Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2009)
- San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium AstraZeneca Clinical Scholars Award
San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (2008)
- ASCO Cancer Foundation Merit Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2007)
- First Prize, Poster Award for Epidemiology and Population Research
University of British Columbia Department of Medicine (2006)
- First Prize, Poster Award for Translation II Adoption
British Columbia Cancer Agency Annual Cancer Conference (2005)
- Second Place Award for Excellence in Research
Canadian Society of Internal Medicine (2004)
- Award for Excellence in Teaching in the Clinical Clerkship
University of Calgary (2003)
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Southwest Oncology Group