Dr. Wyckoff earned her engineering science degree from Trinity University in San Antonio, TX. She then came to UTSW Medical Center at Dallas for medical school and subsequently stayed for General Pediatrics training. She remained at UTSW for Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine training and worked under Phil Shaul, MD on a project which elucidated how plasma membrane estrogen receptors are coupled to eNOS production via G-protein signaling. Upon completion of sub-specialty training she joined the faculty of UTSW Pediatrics Department to become the director of Newborn Resuscitation Services at Parkland Memorial Hospital, a large, urban county hospital with over 12,000 deliveries annually. She developed and coordinates an educational rotation in newborn resuscitation for the senior pediatric house-officer, 2nd year emergency medicine residents, neonatal-perinatal medicine fellows and OB anesthesia fellows. In addition, she oversees the continued development of the high-risk neonatal resuscitation team. Dr. Wyckoff maintains and utilizes one of the most comprehensive neonatal resuscitation databases in the country to continually try to improve neonatal resuscitation processes locally and nationally. Prospective resuscitation protocols are studied in the delivery room and she has developed a neonatal piglet model of asphyxia-induced hypotension/bradycardia and asphyxia-induced asystole to better elucidate the hemodynamics and optimize resuscitation strategies during CPR in the controlled setting of the laboratory. She has served on the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation, Newborn Subsection since 2003 and is currently chair of the Neonatal Life Support Task Force. She has served on the American Academy of Pediatrics Neonatal Resuscitation Program Steering Committee since 2006 and recently completed a term as Co-chair. Since 2013 she has served as UTSW site PI for the NICHD Neonatal Research Network.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1994)
- Children's Health Dallas (1995), Pediatrics
- Children's Health Dallas (1997), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- Neonatal Research Network
- Neonatal Resuscitation
- Resuscitation of preterm neonates with limited versus high oxygen strategy.
- Kapadia VS, Chalak LF, Sparks JE, Allen JR, Savani RC, Wyckoff MH Pediatrics 2013 Dec 132 6 e1488-96
- Improving Neonatal Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Hemodynamics: Are Sustained Inflations During Compressions the Answer?
- Wyckoff MH Circulation 2013 Oct
- Change in Care Among Nonenrolled Patients During and After a Randomized Trial.
- Levan JM, Wyckoff MH, Ahn C, Heyne R, Sánchez PJ, Chalak L, Jaleel MA, Burchfield PJ, Christie L, Soll R, Badger GJ, Brion LP Pediatrics 2013 Sep
- Drugs during delivery room resuscitation - What, when and why?
- Kapadia VS, Wyckoff MH Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 2013 Aug
- Perinatal Asphyxia with Hyperoxemia within the First Hour of Life Is Associated with Moderate to Severe Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy.
- Kapadia VS, Chalak LF, Dupont TL, Rollins NK, Brion LP, Wyckoff MH J. Pediatr. 2013 Jun
- Chest compressions for bradycardia or asystole in neonates.
- Kapadia V, Wyckoff MH Clin Perinatol 2012 Dec 39 4 833-42
- Antioxidant protects against increases in low molecular weight hyaluronan and inflammation in asphyxiated newborn pigs resuscitated with 100% oxygen.
- Østerholt HC, Dannevig I, Wyckoff MH, Liao J, Akgul Y, Ramgopal M, Mija DS, Cheong N, Longoria C, Mahendroo M, Nakstad B, Saugstad OD, Savani RC PLoS ONE 2012 7 6 e38839
- Return of spontaneous circulation with a compression:ventilation ratio of 15:2 versus 3:1 in newborn pigs with cardiac arrest due to asphyxia.
- Solevåg AL, Dannevig I, Wyckoff M, Saugstad OD, Nakstad B Arch. Dis. Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2011 Nov 96 6 F417-21
- End-tidal CO2 detection of an audible heart rate during neonatal cardiopulmonary resuscitation after asystole in asphyxiated piglets.
- Chalak LF, Barber CA, Hynan L, Garcia D, Christie L, Wyckoff MH Pediatr. Res. 2011 May 69 5 Pt 1 401-5
- The two-thumb is superior to the two-finger method for administering chest compressions in a manikin model of neonatal resuscitation.
- Christman C, Hemway RJ, Wyckoff MH, Perlman JM Arch. Dis. Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2011 Mar 96 2 F99-F101
Delivery Room Resuscitation. In Rudolph CD, Rudolph AM, Lister G, First LR, Gershon AA, eds. Rudolph's Pediatrics. 23nd ed.
Foglia EE, Wyckoff MH. (2018). New York City, NY, McGraw-Hill;
Respiratory and Cardiovascular Support in the Delivery Room. In Bancalari E, ed. The Newborn Lung: Neonatology Questions and Controversies. 3rd ed.
Weiner G, Hooper S, Davis PG, Wyckoff MH. (2018). Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; .
Chest Compression, Medications, and Special Problems in Neonatal Resuscitation. In Martin RJ, Fanaroff AA, Walsh MC, eds. Fanaroff and Martin's Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. 11th ed.
Kapadia VS, Wyckoff MH. (2019). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier Saunders.
The Preterm Newborn. In Cunningham G. ed. Williams Obstetrics 25th ed.
Wyckoff MH. (2018). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill
Delivery Room Resuscitation of the Newborn infant. In Rudolph's Pediatrics, 23rd ed, Kline MW, Blaney SM, Giardino AP, Oange JS, Penny DJ, Schutze GE, Shekerdemian LS, eds.
Foglia EE. Wyckoff MH (2018). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill Education; 190-196
The Newborn. In Williams Obstetrics, 25th ed, Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY, eds.
Wyckoff MH (2018). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill Education; 606-618
The Preterm Newborn. In Williams Obstetrics, 25th ed, Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY, eds.
Wyckoff MH (2018). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill Education; 636-643
Honors & Awards
- Chair, Neonatal Life Support Task Force
International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (2015-2020)
- Editorial Board
- Elected Co-Chair of the Neonatal Resuscitation Program Steering Committee
American Academy of Pediatrics (2011-2015)
- Elected to Perinatal Research Society
- Elected to Society for Pediatric Research
Medical Academic Honor Society (1994)
- Acute Care Rotation Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical School (2007, 2009)
- Pediatric Faculty Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Pediatric Program Residents (2006, 2008, 2011)
- Perinatal Research Society (2008)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2007)
- American Heart Association (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2000)