Dr. Wyckoff earned her engineering science degree from Trinity University in San Antonio, TX. She then came to UTSW Medical Center at Dallas for medical school and subsequently stayed for General Pediatrics training. She remained at UTSW for Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine training and worked under Phil Shaul, MD on a project which elucidated how plasma membrane estrogen receptors are coupled to eNOS production via G-protein signaling. Upon completion of sub-specialty training she joined the faculty of UTSW Pediatrics Department to become the director of Newborn Resuscitation Services at Parkland Memorial Hospital, a large, urban county hospital with over 12,000 deliveries annually. She developed and coordinates an educational rotation in newborn resuscitation for the senior pediatric house-officer, 2nd year emergency medicine residents, neonatal-perinatal medicine fellows and OB anesthesia and MFM fellows. In addition, she oversees the continued development of the high-risk neonatal resuscitation team. Dr. Wyckoff maintains and utilizes one of the most comprehensive neonatal resuscitation databases in the country to continually try to improve neonatal resuscitation processes locally and nationally. Prospective resuscitation protocols are studied in the delivery room and she has utilized a neonatal piglet model of asphyxia-induced hypotension/bradycardia and asphyxia-induced asystole to better elucidate the hemodynamics and optimize resuscitation strategies during CPR in the controlled setting of the laboratory. She has served on the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation, Neonatal Life Support Task Force since 2003 and served as Chair from 2015-2022. She has served on the American Academy of Pediatrics Neonatal Resuscitation Program Steering Committee since 2006, was Co-chair from 2010-2014 and currently serves as ILCOR Liaison to the committee. Since 2013 she has served as UTSW site PI for the NICHD Neonatal Research Network which conducts multi-center randomized controlled trials to improve the care of fragile newborns.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1994)
- Children's Health Dallas (1995), Pediatrics
- Children's Health Dallas (1997), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- Neonatal Research Network
- Neonatal Resuscitation
- 2022 International Consensus on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science With Treatment Recommendations: Summary From the Basic Life Support; Advanced Life Support; Pediatric Life Support; Neonatal Life Support; Education, Implementation, and Teams; and First Aid Task Forces.
- Wyckoff et al. 2022
- Mortality, In-Hospital Morbidity, Care Practices, and 2-Year Outcomes for Extremely Preterm Infants in the US, 2013-2018
- Bell EF, Hintz SR, Hansen NI, Bann CM, Wyckoff MH, DeMauro SB, Walsh MC, Vohr BR, Stoll BJ, Carlo WA, Van Meurs KP, Rysavy MA, Patel RM, Merhar SL, Sánchez PJ, Laptook AR, Hibbs AM, Cotten CM, D'Angio CT, Winter S, Fuller J, Das A; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network 2022
- 2021 International Consensus on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science With Treatment Recommendations: Summary From the Basic Life Support; Advanced Life Support; Neonatal Life Support; Education, Implementation, and Teams; First Aid Task Forces; and the COVID-19 Working Group.
- Wyckoff MH et al. 2021
- A randomized controlled trial of higher versus lower hemoglobin transfusion thresholds for extremely low birth weight infants: The Transfusion of Prematures (TOP) Trial.
- Kirpalani H, Bell EF, Hintz SR, Tan S, Schmidt B, Chaudhary AS, Johnson KJ, Crawford MM, Newman JE, Vohr BR, Carlo WA, D’Angio CT, Kennedy KA, Ohls RK, Poindexter BB, Schibler K, Whyte RK, Widness JA, Zupancic JA, Brambilla DJ, Wyckoff MH, Truog WE, Walsh MC, Chock VY, Laptook AR, Sokol GM, Yoder BA, Patel RM, Cotton CM, Carmen MF, Devaskar U, Chawla S, Sánchez PJ, Higgins RD, Das A, for the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research. 2020
- Delivery Room Resuscitation and Short-Term Outcomes in Moderately Preterm Infants.
- Bajaj M, Natarajan G, Shankaran S, Wyckoff M, Laptook AR, Bell EF, Stoll BJ, Carlo WA, Vohr BR, Saha S, Van Meurs KP, Sanchez PJ, D'Angio CT, Higgins RD, Das A, Newman N, Walsh MC J. Pediatr. 2018 Jan
- Admission Temperature and Associated Mortality and Morbidity among Moderately and Extremely Preterm Infants.
- Laptook AR, Bell EF, Shankaran S, Boghossian NS, Wyckoff MH, Kandefer S, Walsh M, Saha S, Higgins R J. Pediatr. 2018 Jan 192 53-59.e2
- Impact of the Neonatal Resuscitation Program-Recommended Low Oxygen Strategy on Outcomes of Infants Born Preterm.
- Kapadia VS, Lal CV, Kakkilaya V, Heyne R, Savani RC, Wyckoff MH J. Pediatr. 2017 Dec 191 35-41
- Efficacy of Intravenous and Endotracheal Epinephrine during Neonatal Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in the Delivery Room.
- Halling C, Sparks JE, Christie L, Wyckoff MH J. Pediatr. 2017 Mar
- The impact of ambient operating room temperature on neonatal and maternal hypothermia and associated morbidities: a randomized controlled trial.
- Duryea EL, Nelson DB, Wyckoff MH, Grant EN, Tao W, Sadana N, Chalak LF, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2016 Feb
- Part 13: Neonatal Resuscitation: 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.
- Wyckoff MH, Aziz K, Escobedo MB, Kapadia VS, Kattwinkel J, Perlman JM, Simon WM, Weiner GM, Zaichkin JG Circulation 2015 Nov 132 18 Suppl 2 S543-60
Respiratory and Cardiovascular Support in the Delivery Room. In Bancalari E, ed. The Newborn Lung: Neonatology Questions and Controversies. 4th ed.
Weiner G, Hooper S, Davis PG, Wyckoff MH. (2023). Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; .
Chest Compression, Medications, and Special Problems in Neonatal Resuscitation. In Martin RJ, Fanaroff AA, Walsh MC, eds. Fanaroff and Martin's Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. 12th ed.
Kapadia VS, Wyckoff MH. (2023). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier Saunders.
The Preterm Newborn. In Cunningham G. ed. Williams Obstetrics 26th ed.
Wyckoff MH. (2022). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill
Delivery Room Resuscitation of the Newborn infant. In Rudolph's Pediatrics, 23th ed, Kline MW, Blaney SM, Giardino AP, Oange JS, Penny DJ, Schutze GE, Shekerdemian LS, eds.
Kapadia VK. Wyckoff MH (2023). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill Education;
The Newborn. In Williams Obstetrics, 26th ed, Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY, eds.
Wyckoff MH (2022). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill Education;
Honors & Awards
- Mentor Award UTSW Leaders in Clinical Excellence Awards
- Pediatric Educator Award of the Southern Society for Pediatric Research
- Chair, Neonatal Life Support Task Force
International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (2015-2022)
- Editorial Board
- Elected Co-Chair of the Neonatal Resuscitation Program Steering Committee
American Academy of Pediatrics (2011-2015)
- Elected to Perinatal Research Society
- Elected to Society for Pediatric Research
Medical Academic Honor Society (1994)
- Acute Care Rotation Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical School (2007, 2009)
- Pediatric Faculty Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Pediatric Program Residents (2006, 2008, 2011, 2023)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2000)
- American Heart Association (2006)
- Perinatal Research Society (2008)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2007)