Sarimar Agosto Salgado M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Agosto is an oncologic endocrinologist specialized in the management of all stages of thyroid cancer (including differentiated & medullary thyroid cancer), hereditary endocrine neoplasia disorders, pituitary tumors, adrenal tumors, pheochromocytoma-paraganglioma syndromes & endocrine complications of cancer therapies.
Originally from Puerto Rico, Dr. Agosto completed Endocrinology fellowship training at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio where she continued practicing as board certified endocrinologist at University Health System clinics including being adjunct assistant medicine professor at UT San Antonio and active member of the University Health System Commission on Cancer Committee. Her dedication towards her patients earned her recognition among both San Antonio’s Top Rising Star Doctors 2018 & San Antonio Best Doctors 2018. Given her clinical and research interest in advanced thyroid cancer, she returned for training at the Oncologic Endocrinology Fellowship at the prestigious University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, becoming the fifth graduate of this unique fellowship training & the first Hispanic to graduate from the program. During her training she earned a Clinical Quality Improvement Certificate from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center; furthermore, she has been actively involved in the creation & implementation of multiple quality improvement initiatives for the benefit of thyroid cancer patients.
She is a member of the American Thyroid Association (ATA), Endocrine Society, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist (AACE) and her work has been presented at international & national scientific meetings.
- Medical School
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (2011)
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (2012), Internal Medicine
- Universidad Central del Caribe (2014), Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Health Science Center (2016), Endocrinology, Diabetes, Metabolism & Nutrition
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (2019), Oncologic Endocrinology
- Adrenal Tumors
- Endocrine Neoplasia
- Pheochromocytoma & Paraganglioma Syndromes
- Pituitary Tumors
- Quality Improvement
- Thyroid Cancer
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Associated Hypercalcemia: A Case Report and Literature Review.
- Toro-Tobón D, Agosto S, Ahmadi S, Koops M, Bruder JM, Am J Case Rep 2017 Feb 18 203-207
Thyroid Emergencies in Critically Ill Cancer Patients. In Oncologic Critical Care
Agosto, S. Thosani, S (2019). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Endocrine Society Outstanding Abstract Award
Brain Metastases in Thyroid Cancer: Molecular Profile and Institutional Experience of a Single Tertiary Referral Center in the Era of Kinase Inhibitor Therapy (2019)
- Invitation for Endocrine Society Presidential Poster Competition
- San Antonio Best Doctors 2018 Recognition
- San Antonio Top Rising Stars Doctors 2018 Recognition
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (2015)
- Endocrine Society (2014)
- American Thyroid Association (2013)