Spencer L. Bowen, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Radiology Research section who serves as a Positron Emission Tomography (PET) research scientist.
Dr. Bowen holds a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering from the University of Washington in Seattle. He earned his doctoral degree in biomedical engineering from the University of California at Davis, and then worked as a research fellow at Massachusetts General Hospital in Charlestown, Massachusetts.
Prior to joining the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020, he served as a research assistant professor at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC and the Virginia Tech-Wake Forest University School of Biomedical Engineering and Sciences in Roanoke, Virginia.
Dr. Bowen's research focuses on the development of nuclear tomographic scanner tools to enable precision imaging for the care and study of oncology, neurology, and cardiology patients. He investigates advanced acquisition techniques, reconstruction algorithms, and post-processing methods for quantitative hybrid (PET-CT and PET-MR) and standalone PET cameras.
His research activities have resulted in more than a dozen original scientific publications, have been featured on the cover of the Journal of Nuclear Medicine, and covered by the press.
Dr. Bowen serves as a reviewer for several publications, including the Journal of Nuclear Medicine Technology, Journal of Nuclear Medicine, Medical Physics, European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging - Physics, Physics in Medicine and Biology, and IEEE's Transactions on Nuclear Science and Transactions on Medical Imaging.
- Advanced acquisition techniques, reconstruction algorithms, and post-processing methods for quantitative PET imaging
- Development of a classifier for [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose extravasation severity using semi-quantitative readings from topically applied detectors.
- Perrin S, Kiser JW, Knowland J, Bowen SL, EJNMMI Phys 2022 Sep 9 1 61
- Supplemental transmission aided attenuation correction for quantitative cardiac PET/MR
- Park M, Zaha VG, Badawi RD, Bowen SL arXiv 2022
- Comparison of maximum likelihood and conventional PET scatter scaling methods for 18 F-FDG and 68 Ga-DOTATATE PET/CT.
- Bal H, Kiser JW, Conti M, Bowen SL, Med Phys 2021 May
- Transmission imaging for integrated PET-MR systems.
- Bowen SL, Fuin N, Levine MA, Catana C, Phys Med Biol 2016 08 61 15 5547-68
- Different partial volume correction methods lead to different conclusions: An (18)F-FDG-PET study of aging.
- Greve DN, Salat DH, Bowen SL, Izquierdo-Garcia D, Schultz AP, Catana C, Becker JA, Svarer C, Knudsen GM, Sperling RA, Johnson KA, Neuroimage 2016 05 132 334-343
- Effects of ferumoxytol on quantitative PET measurements in simultaneous PET/MR whole-body imaging: a pilot study in a baboon model.
- Borra RJ, Cho HS, Bowen SL, Attenberger U, Arabasz G, Catana C, Josephson L, Rosen BR, Guimaraes AR, Hooker JM, EJNMMI Phys 2015 Dec 2 1 6
- Masamune: a tool for automatic dynamic PET data processing, image reconstruction and integrated PET/MRI data analysis.
- Chonde DB, Izquierdo-Garcia D, Chen K, Bowen SL, Catana C, EJNMMI Phys 2014 Jul 1 Suppl 1 A57
- Influence of the partial volume correction method on (18)F-fluorodeoxyglucose brain kinetic modelling from dynamic PET images reconstructed with resolution model based OSEM.
- Bowen SL, Byars LG, Michel CJ, Chonde DB, Catana C, Phys Med Biol 2013 Oct 58 20 7081-106
- Quantification with a dedicated breast PET/CT scanner.
- Bowen SL, Ferrero A, Badawi RD, Med Phys 2012 May 39 5 2694-707
- High-resolution (18)F-FDG PET with MRI for monitoring response to treatment in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Chaudhari AJ, Bowen SL, Burkett GW, Packard NJ, Godinez F, Joshi AA, Naguwa SM, Shelton DK, Hunter JC, Boone JM, Buonocore MH, Badawi RD, Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging 2010 May 37 5 1047
Honors & Awards
- Trainee Award
IEEE Medical Imaging Conference (2011)
- Trainee Award
IEEE Medical Imaging Conference (2009)
- Young Investigator Award, 2nd runner up
Computer and Instrumentation Council, Society of Nuclear Medicine, Annual Meeting (2008)
- Trainee Award
IEEE Medical Imaging Conference (2006)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging