Dr. Abdullah treats brain tumors using traditional microsurgery techniques and awake craniotomies to map intricate regions of the brain during surgery. He also uses endoscopic and tubular approaches, intraoperative fluorescence, and laser therapy to provide minimally invasive surgery options to his patients. Dr. Abdullah runs a research laboratory that develops new drug and treatment targets for brain cancers. He is actively involved in enrolling patients and running clinical trials for brain tumors.
He has published more than 100 research papers and lectures both nationally and internationally on the treatment and science of brain tumors. He co-edited the seminal textbook on malignant gliomas, Glioblastoma.
In addition to brain tumors, Dr. Abdullah treats hydrocephalus, Chiari Malformations, trigeminal neuralgia, and traumatic brain injuries. He is an Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultant to the National Football League and the Dallas Cowboys.
Dr. Abdullah earned his medical degree at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, where he was a National Institutes of Health Howard Hughes Medical Institute Scholar. He completed a residency in neurological surgery at the University of Pennsylvania and then received advanced training in open and endoscopic neurosurgical oncology through a fellowship at the Wellington Hospital in New Zealand. He completed an additional postdoctoral research fellowship in stem cell biology at the University of Pennsylvania, and holds a master’s degree from the London School of Economics.
- Medical School
- Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (2012)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- London School of Economics and Political Science (2018)
- Graduate School
- London School of Economics and Political Science (2018), Economics
- University of Pennsylvania (2019), Neurological Surgery
- Contralateral Transcingulate Resection of a Mid Cingulate Cavernous Malformation.
- Glauser G, Abdullah KG, Choudhri O, World Neurosurg 2019 Jun
- Evaluating the Association Between the Extent of Resection and Survival in Gliosarcoma.
- Ahmed FI, Abdullah KG, Durgin J, Salinas RD, O'Rourke DM, Brem S, Cureus 2019 Apr 11 4 e4374
- Factors Predicting Ventriculostomy Revision at a Large Academic Medical Center.
- Ramayya AG, Glauser G, Mcshane B, Branche M, Sinha S, Kvint S, Buch V, Abdullah KG, Kung D, Chen HI, Malhotra NR, Ozturk A, World Neurosurg 2019 Mar 123 e509-e514
- Topical Vancomycin Reduces Surgical-Site Infections After Craniotomy: A Prospective, Controlled Study.
- Mallela AN, Abdullah KG, Brandon C, Richardson AG, Lucas TH, Neurosurgery 2018 10 83 4 761-767
- The Effect of Underlying Liver Disease on Perioperative Outcomes Following Craniotomy for Tumor: An American College of Surgeons National Quality Improvement Program Analysis.
- Goel NJ, Abdullah KG, Choudhri OA, Kung DK, Lucas TH, Chen HI, World Neurosurg 2018 Jul 115 e85-e96
- A Retrospective Propensity Score-Matched Early Thromboembolic Event Analysis of Prothrombin Complex Concentrate vs Fresh Frozen Plasma for Warfarin Reversal Prior to Emergency Neurosurgical Procedures.
- Agarwal P, Abdullah KG, Ramayya AG, Nayak NR, Lucas TH, Neurosurgery 2018 06 82 6 877-886
- Radiomic MRI signature reveals three distinct subtypes of glioblastoma with different clinical and molecular characteristics, offering prognostic value beyond IDH1.
- Rathore S, Akbari H, Rozycki M, Abdullah KG, Nasrallah MP, Binder ZA, Davuluri RV, Lustig RA, Dahmane N, Bilello M, O'Rourke DM, Davatzikos C, Sci Rep 2018 Mar 8 1 5087
- Outcomes and Prognostic Factors in Pediatric Oligodendroglioma: A Population-Based Study.
- Goel NJ, Abdullah KG, Lang SS, Pediatr Neurosurg 2018 53 1 24-35
- Operative Strategies to Minimize Complications Following Resection of Pituitary Macroadenomas.
- Thawani JP, Ramayya AG, Pisapia JM, Abdullah KG, Lee JY, Grady MS, J Neurol Surg B Skull Base 2017 Apr 78 2 184-190
- Three-Dimensional Printed Modeling of Diffuse Low-Grade Gliomas and Associated White Matter Tract Anatomy.
- Thawani JP, Singh N, Pisapia JM, Abdullah KG, Parker D, Pukenas BA, Zager EL, Verma R, Brem S, Neurosurgery 2017 04 80 4 635-645
Brem and Abdullah (Ed.) (2016). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- American Academy of Neurological Surgery Emerging Investigator Award
- Texas SuperDoctors Rising Star Award