Dr. Maddipati earned his medical degree at the Boston University School of Medicine in Boston. He remained in Boston to complete a residency in internal medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital followed by a gastroenterology fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania where he remained as a faculty member until joining UTSW in 2019. Dr. Maddipati’s clinical interests are in pancreatic disorders including pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer, cancer genetics, screening of high risk and hereditary gastrointestinal malignances, and general gastroenterology. His laboratory is focused on understanding and developing treatments for pancreatic cancer, tumor metastasis, and pancreatitis.
- Medical School
- Boston University School of Medicine (2008)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (2010), Internal Medicine
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (2014), Gastroenterology
- Cancer Genetics
- Cancer Metastasis
- High Risk and Hereditary Cancer Screening
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Regulation of Epithelial Plasticity Determines Metastatic Organotropism in Pancreatic Cancer.
- Reichert M, Bakir B, Moreira L, Pitarresi JR, Feldmann K, Simon L, Suzuki K, Maddipati R, Rhim AD, Schlitter AM, Kriegsmann M, Weichert W, Wirth M, Schuck K, Schneider G, Saur D, Reynolds AB, Klein-Szanto AJ, Pehlivanoglu B, Memis B, Adsay NV, Rustgi AK, Dev. Cell 2018 06 45 6 696-711.e8
- EMT Subtype Influences Epithelial Plasticity and Mode of Cell Migration.
- Aiello NM, Maddipati R, Norgard RJ, Balli D, Li J, Yuan S, Yamazoe T, Black T, Sahmoud A, Furth EE, Bar-Sagi D, Stanger BZ, Dev. Cell 2018 06 45 6 681-695.e4
- Pancreatic cancer survival analysis defines a signature that predicts outcome.
- Raman P, Maddipati R, Lim KH, Tozeren A, PLoS ONE 2018 13 8 e0201751
- KLF4 Initiates Acinar Cell Reprogramming and Is Essential for the Early Stages of Pancreatic Carcinogenesis.
- Maddipati R, Katz JP, Cancer Cell 2016 Mar 29 3 247-248
- Pancreatic Cancer Metastases Harbor Evidence of Polyclonality.
- Maddipati R, Stanger BZ, Cancer Discov 2015 Oct 5 10 1086-97
- Hippo signaling regulates differentiation and maintenance in the exocrine pancreas.
- Gao T, Zhou D, Yang C, Singh T, Penzo-Méndez A, Maddipati R, Tzatsos A, Bardeesy N, Avruch J, Stanger BZ, Gastroenterology 2013 Jun 144 7 1543-53, 1553.e1
- Robust cellular reprogramming occurs spontaneously during liver regeneration.
- Yanger K, Zong Y, Maggs LR, Shapira SN, Maddipati R, Aiello NM, Thung SN, Wells RG, Greenbaum LE, Stanger BZ, Genes Dev. 2013 Apr 27 7 719-24
- Mitochondrial reactive oxygen species promote production of proinflammatory cytokines and are elevated in TNFR1-associated periodic syndrome (TRAPS).
- Bulua AC, Simon A, Maddipati R, Pelletier M, Park H, Kim KY, Sack MN, Kastner DL, Siegel RM, J. Exp. Med. 2011 Mar 208 3 519-33
- Concerted action of wild-type and mutant TNF receptors enhances inflammation in TNF receptor 1-associated periodic fever syndrome.
- Simon A, Park H, Maddipati R, Lobito AA, Bulua AC, Jackson AJ, Chae JJ, Ettinger R, de Koning HD, Cruz AC, Kastner DL, Komarow H, Siegel RM, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 May 107 21 9801-6
- Peptide-conjugated quantum dots activate neuronal receptors and initiate downstream signaling of neurite growth.
- Vu TQ, Maddipati R, Blute TA, Nehilla BJ, Nusblat L, Desai TA, Nano Lett. 2005 Apr 5 4 603-7
Liver and Pancreas: Mechanisms of Development and Size Control. In Stem Cells: From Basic Research to Therapy
Maddipati, R., Stanger, B.Z (2014). Science Publishers
Honors & Awards
- CPRIT Scholar in Cancer Research
Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (2019)
- Disease Oriented Clinical Scholar
Disease-Oriented Clinical Scholars (DOCS) program, UTSW (2019)
- AGA-Caroline Craig Augustyn & Damian Augustyn Award in Digestive Cancer
American Gastroenterological Association (2018)
- Frank Brooks Excellence in Research Award
University of Pennsylvania (2013)
- HHMI Medical Research Scholar
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (2006)
- American Pancreas Association (2015)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2014)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2010)
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2010)