Dr. Zhang obtained his Bachelor’s degree from Wuhan University in China in 2001 followed by a Ph.D study working with Dr. Jennifer Grandis at Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine until Late 2005. From 2006 to early 2013, He worked as a postdoctoral fellow (2006-06/2011) and an instructor (07/2011-01/2013) in the lab of The Nobel Laureate Dr. William Kaelin Jr. at Dana Farber Cancer Institute on prolyl hydroxylase and oxygen sensing pathway in cancer. He became an assistant professor at Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Feb of 2013. He was promoted to associate professor with tenure in Feb of 2019 at UNC Chapel Hill and now he is an associate professor with tenure in the Department of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He is currently holding the title of Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) Scholar in Cancer Research.
His research has been continuously funded by the National Institute of Health. Currently his research is supported by the National Cancer Institute, Department of Defense (DOD), American Cancer Society (ACS), CPRIT as well as Kidney Cancer Research Alliance (KCCure).
He is a member of both the American Society for Investigative Pathology (ASIP) and American Association for Cancer Research (AACR). He obtained various awards, including CPRIT Rising Star Award, ASIP Ramzi Cotran Early Career Investigator Award, DOD KCRP Idea Development Award, ACS Research Scholar Award, Kimmel Scholar Award, V Scholar Award, Susan. G. Komen Career Catalyst Award and Mary Kay Foundation Award. He also served as the Associate Scientific Advisor at Science Translational Medicine.
- Wuhan University (2001), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of Pittsburgh (2005), Pharmacology
- kidney cancer, breast cancer, hypoxia signaling, VHL, post-translational modification
- Control of cyclin D1 and breast tumorigenesis by the EglN2 prolyl hydroxylase.
- Zhang Q, Gu J, Li L, Liu J, Luo B, Cheung HW, Boehm JS, Ni M, Geisen C, Root DE, Polyak K, Brown M, Richardson AL, Hahn WC, Kaelin WG, Bommi-Reddy A Cancer Cell 2009 Nov 16 5 413-24
- Phosphorylation of TNF-alpha converting enzyme by gastrin-releasing peptide induces amphiregulin release and EGF receptor activation.
- Zhang Q, Thomas SM, Lui VW, Xi S, Siegfried JM, Fan H, Smithgall TE, Mills GB, Grandis JR, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2006 May 103 18 6901-6
- SRC family kinases mediate epidermal growth factor receptor ligand cleavage, proliferation, and invasion of head and neck cancer cells.
- Zhang Q, Thomas SM, Xi S, Smithgall TE, Siegfried JM, Kamens J, Gooding WE, Grandis JR, Cancer Res. 2004 Sep 64 17 6166-73
- Reactive oxygen species induce antibiotic tolerance during systemic Staphylococcus aureus infection.
- Rowe SE, Wagner NJ, Li L, Beam JE, Wilkinson AD, Radlinski LC, Zhang Q, Miao EA, Conlon BP, Nat Microbiol 2019 Dec
- FoxO3 activation in hypoxic tubules prevents chronic kidney disease.
- Li L, Kang H, Zhang Q, D'Agati VD, Al-Awqati Q, Lin F, J. Clin. Invest. 2019 03 129 6 2374-2389
- Estrogen-dependent DLL1-mediated Notch signaling promotes luminal breast cancer.
- Kumar S, Srivastav RK, Wilkes DW, Ross T, Kim S, Kowalski J, Chatla S, Zhang Q, Nayak A, Guha M, Fuchs SY, Thomas C, Chakrabarti R, Oncogene 2019 03 38 12 2092-2107
- Regulation of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1a during Hypoxia by DAP5-Induced Translation of PHD2.
- Bryant JD, Brown MC, Dobrikov MI, Dobrikova EY, Gemberling SL, Zhang Q, Gromeier M, Mol. Cell. Biol. 2018 06 38 11
- Novel RNA-Affinity Proteogenomics Dissects Tumor Heterogeneity for Revealing Personalized Markers in Precision Prognosis of Cancer.
- Wang L, Wrobel JA, Xie L, Li D, Zurlo G, Shen H, Yang P, Wang Z, Peng Y, Gunawardena HP, Zhang Q, Chen X Cell Chem Biol 2018 Feb
- MYC activation cooperates with Vhl and Ink4a/Arf loss to induce clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Bailey ST, Smith AM, Kardos J, Wobker SE, Wilson HL, Krishnan B, Saito R, Lee HJ, Zhang J, Eaton SC, Williams LA, Manocha U, Peters DJ, Pan X, Carroll TJ, Felsher DW, Walter V, Zhang Q, Parker JS, Yeh JJ, Moffitt RA, Leung JY, Kim WY Nat Commun 2017 Jun 8 15770
- PHD2 Targeting Overcomes Breast Cancer Cell Death upon Glucose Starvation in a PP2A/B55a-Mediated Manner.
- Di Conza G, Trusso Cafarello S, Zheng X, Zhang Q, Mazzone M, Cell Rep 2017 03 18 12 2836-2844
Honors & Awards
- ASIP Ramzi Cotran Early Career Investigator Award
- CPRIT Rising Star Award
- UT System Rising STARs Award
- American Cancer Society Research Scholar
- Associate Scientific Advisor, Science Translational Medicine
- Susan G. Komen Career Catalyst Award
- The V Scholar Award
- Kimmel Scholar Award
- American Society for Investigative Pathology (2015)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2006)