Dr. Zhang obtained his Bachelor’s degree from Wuhan University in China in 2001 followed by a Ph.D study working with Dr. Jennifer Grandis at Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine until Late 2005. From early 2006 to 2011, He worked with Dr. William Kaelin at Dana Farber Cancer Institute on prolyl hydroxylase and oxygen sensing pathway in cancer. He worked as an instructor from 2011-2012 at Harvard Medical School before becoming an assistant professor at Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Feb of 2013. He was promoted to associate professor with tenure in Feb of 2019 at UNC Chapel Hill and now he is an associate professor with tenure in the Department of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He is currently holding the title of Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) Scholar in Cancer Research.
His research has been continuously funded by the National Institute of Health. Currently his research is supported by the National Cancer Institute, Department of Defense (DOD), American Cancer Society (ACS), CPRIT as well as Kidney Cancer Research Alliance (KCCure).
He is a member of both the American Society for Investigative Pathology (ASIP) and American Association for Cancer Research (AACR). He obtained various awards, including CPRIT Rising Star Award, ASIP Ramzi Cotran Early Career Investigator Award, DOD KCRP Idea Development Award, ACS Research Scholar Award, Kimmel Scholar Award, V Scholar Award, Susan. G. Komen Career Catalyst Award and Mary Kay Foundation Award. He also served as the Associate Scientific Advisor at Science Translational Medicine.
- kidney cancer, breast cancer, hypoxia signaling, VHL, post-translational modification
- VHL substrate transcription factor ZHX2 as an oncogenic driver in clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Zhang J, Wu T, Simon J, Takada M, Saito R, Fan C, Liu XD, Jonasch E, Xie L, Chen X, Yao X, Teh BT, Tan P, Zheng X, Li M, Lawrence C, Fan J, Geng J, Liu X, Hu L, Wang J, Liao C, Hong K, Zurlo G, Parker JS, Auman JT, Perou CM, Rathmell WK, Kim WY, Kirschner MW, Kaelin WG, Baldwin AS, Zhang Q Science 2018 07 361 6399 290-295
- FBW7 Loss Promotes Chromosomal Instability and Tumorigenesis via Cyclin E1/CDK2-Mediated Phosphorylation of CENP-A.
- Takada M, Zhang W, Suzuki A, Kuroda TS, Yu Z, Inuzuka H, Gao D, Wan L, Zhuang M, Hu L, Zhai B, Fry CJ, Bloom K, Li G, Karpen GH, Wei W, Zhang Q Cancer Res. 2017 Jul
- EglN2 associates with the NRF1-PGC1a complex and controls mitochondrial function in breast cancer.
- Zhang J, Wang C, Chen X, Takada M, Fan C, Zheng X, Wen H, Liu Y, Wang C, Pestell RG, Aird KM, Kaelin WG, Liu XS, Zhang Q EMBO J. 2015 Oct
- Prolyl hydroxylation by EglN2 destabilizes FOXO3a by blocking its interaction with the USP9x deubiquitinase.
- Zheng X, Zhai B, Koivunen P, Shin SJ, Lu G, Liu J, Geisen C, Chakraborty AA, Moslehi JJ, Smalley DM, Wei X, Chen X, Chen Z, Beres JM, Zhang J, Tsao JL, Brenner MC, Zhang Y, Fan C, DePinho RA, Paik J, Gygi SP, Kaelin WG, Zhang Q Genes Dev. 2014 Jul 28 13 1429-44
- Control of cyclin D1 and breast tumorigenesis by the EglN2 prolyl hydroxylase.
- Zhang Q, Gu J, Li L, Liu J, Luo B, Cheung HW, Boehm JS, Ni M, Geisen C, Root DE, Polyak K, Brown M, Richardson AL, Hahn WC, Kaelin WG, Bommi-Reddy A Cancer Cell 2009 Nov 16 5 413-24
- Antitumor mechanisms of combined gastrin-releasing peptide receptor and epidermal growth factor receptor targeting in head and neck cancer.
- Zhang Q, Bhola NE, Lui VW, Siwak DR, Thomas SM, Gubish CT, Siegfried JM, Mills GB, Shin D, Grandis JR, Mol. Cancer Ther. 2007 Apr 6 4 1414-24
- Phosphorylation of TNF-alpha converting enzyme by gastrin-releasing peptide induces amphiregulin release and EGF receptor activation.
- Zhang Q, Thomas SM, Lui VW, Xi S, Siegfried JM, Fan H, Smithgall TE, Mills GB, Grandis JR, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2006 May 103 18 6901-6
- SRC family kinases mediate epidermal growth factor receptor ligand cleavage, proliferation, and invasion of head and neck cancer cells.
- Zhang Q, Thomas SM, Xi S, Smithgall TE, Siegfried JM, Kamens J, Gooding WE, Grandis JR, Cancer Res. 2004 Sep 64 17 6166-73
- FoxO3 activation in hypoxic tubules prevents chronic kidney disease.
- Li L, Kang H, Zhang Q, D'Agati VD, Al-Awqati Q, Lin F, J. Clin. Invest. 2019 03 129 6 2374-2389
- Estrogen-dependent DLL1-mediated Notch signaling promotes luminal breast cancer.
- Kumar S, Srivastav RK, Wilkes DW, Ross T, Kim S, Kowalski J, Chatla S, Zhang Q, Nayak A, Guha M, Fuchs SY, Thomas C, Chakrabarti R, Oncogene 2019 03 38 12 2092-2107
Honors & Awards
- ASIP Ramzi Cotran Early Career Investigator Award
- CPRIT Rising Star Award
- UT System Rising STARs Award
- American Cancer Society Research Scholar
- Associate Scientific Advisor, Science Translational Medicine
- Susan G. Komen Career Catalyst Award
- The V Scholar Award
- Kimmel Scholar Award
- Qing Zhang (2019)