Dr. Zhang obtained his Bachelor’s degree from Wuhan University in China in 2001 followed by a Ph.D study working with Dr. Jennifer Grandis at Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine until Late 2005. From 2006 to early 2013, He worked as a postdoctoral fellow (2006-06/2011) and an instructor (07/2011-01/2013) in the lab of Nobel Laureate Dr. William Kaelin Jr. at Dana Farber Cancer Institute on prolyl hydroxylase and oxygen sensing pathway in cancer. He became an assistant professor at Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Feb of 2013. He was promoted to associate professor with tenure in Feb of 2019 at UNC Chapel Hill and now he is an associate professor with tenure in the Department of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He is currently holding the title of Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) Scholar in Cancer Research.
His research has been continuously funded by the National Institute of Health. Currently his research is supported by the National Cancer Institute, Department of Defense (DOD), American Cancer Society (ACS), CPRIT as well as Kidney Cancer Research Alliance (KCCure).
He is a member of both the American Society for Investigative Pathology (ASIP) and American Association for Cancer Research (AACR). He obtained various awards, including CPRIT Rising Star Award, ASIP Ramzi Cotran Early Career Investigator Award, DOD KCRP Idea Development Award, ACS Research Scholar Award, Kimmel Scholar Award, V Scholar Award, Susan. G. Komen Career Catalyst Award and Mary Kay Foundation Award. He also served as the Associate Scientific Advisor at Science Translational Medicine. He currently serves as chart member for ACS Tumor Biochemistry and Endocrinolgy (TBE) as well as NIH Molecular Oncogenesis (MONC) study sections.
- Wuhan University (2001), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of Pittsburgh (2005), Pharmacology
- kidney cancer, breast cancer, hypoxia signaling, VHL, post-translational modification
- Histone H3 proline 16 hydroxylation regulates mammalian gene expression.
- Liu X, Wang J, Boyer JA, Gong W, Zhao S, Xie L, Wu Q, Zhang C, Jain K, Guo Y, Rodriguez J, Li M, Uryu H, Liao C, Hu L, Zhou J, Shi X, Tsai YH, Yan Q, Luo W, Chen X, Strahl BD, von Kriegsheim A, Zhang Q, Wang GG, Baldwin AS, Zhang Q, Nat Genet 2022 Nov
- USP13 promotes deubiquitination of ZHX2 and tumorigenesis in kidney cancer.
- Xie H, Zhou J, Liu X, Xu Y, Hepperla AJ, Simon JM, Wang T, Yao H, Liao C, Baldwin AS, Gong K, Zhang Q, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2022 Sep 119 36 e2119854119
- An oncogenic JMJD6-DGAT1 axis tunes the epigenetic regulation of lipid droplet formation in clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Zhou J, Simon JM, Liao C, Zhang C, Hu L, Zurlo G, Liu X, Fan C, Hepperla A, Jia L, Tcheuyap VT, Zhong H, Elias R, Ye J, Henne WM, Kapur P, Nijhawan D, Brugarolas J, Zhang Q, Mol Cell 2022 Jun
- Integrated Metabolic Profiling and Transcriptional Analysis Reveals Therapeutic Modalities for Targeting Rapidly Proliferating Breast Cancers.
- Liao C, Glodowski CR, Fan C, Liu J, Mott KR, Kaushik A, Vu H, Locasale JW, McBrayer SK, DeBerardinis RJ, Perou CM, Zhang Q, Cancer Res 2021 Dec
- ZHX2 promotes HIF1a oncogenic signaling in triple-negative breast cancer.
- Fang W, Liao C, Shi R, Simon JM, Ptacek TS, Zurlo G, Ye Y, Han L, Fan C, Bao L, Ortiz CL, Lin HR, Manocha U, Luo W, Kim WY, Yang LW, Zhang Q, Elife 2021 Nov 10
- Identification of BBOX1 as a Therapeutic Target in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer.
- Liao C, Zhang Y, Fan C, Herring LE, Liu J, Locasale JW, Takada M, Zhou J, Zurlo G, Hu L, Simon JM, Ptacek TS, Andrianov VG, Loza E, Peng Y, Yang H, Perou CM, Zhang Q, Cancer Discov 2020 Jul
- USP37 promotes deubiquitination of HIF2a in kidney cancer.
- Hong K, Hu L, Liu X, Simon JM, Ptacek TS, Zheng X, Liao C, Baldwin AS, Zhang Q, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2020 May
- Genome-wide Screening Identifies SFMBT1 as an Oncogenic Driver in Cancer with VHL Loss.
- Liu X, Simon JM, Xie H, Hu L, Wang J, Zurlo G, Fan C, Ptacek TS, Herring L, Tan X, Li M, Baldwin AS, Kim WY, Wu T, Kirschner MW, Gong K, Zhang Q, Mol. Cell 2020 Jan
- TBK1 is a Synthetic Lethal Target in Cancer with VHL Loss.
- Hu L, Xie H, Liu X, Potjewyd F, James LI, Wilkerson EM, Herring LE, Xie L, Chen X, Cabrera JC, Hong K, Liao C, Tan X, Baldwin AS, Gong K, Zhang Q, Cancer Discov 2019 Dec
- Prolyl hydroxylase substrate adenylosuccinate lyase is an oncogenic driver in triple negative breast cancer.
- Zurlo G, Liu X, Takada M, Fan C, Simon JM, Ptacek TS, Rodriguez J, von Kriegsheim A, Liu J, Locasale JW, Robinson A, Zhang J, Holler JM, Kim B, Zikánová M, Bierau J, Xie L, Chen X, Li M, Perou CM, Zhang Q, Nat Commun 2019 Nov 10 1 5177
Honors & Awards
- ASIP Ramzi Cotran Early Career Investigator Award
- CPRIT Rising Star Award
- UT System Rising STARs Award
- American Cancer Society Research Scholar
- Associate Scientific Advisor, Science Translational Medicine
- Susan G. Komen Career Catalyst Award
- The V Scholar Award
- Kimmel Scholar Award
- American Society for Investigative Pathology (2015)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2006)