Netanya Utay, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She serves as the Infectious Diseases Service Line Chief for Parkland Health and Hospital System, specializing in HIV, COVID-19, and other infectious diseases.
Dr. Utay earned her medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine. She completed her residency in internal medicine at the University of Washington and gained advanced training in infectious diseases through a fellowship at the National Institutes of Health.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in infectious disease and internal medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
Dr. Utay is Chair of the AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Comorbidities Transformative Science Group (CTSG). Her research interests include comorbidities in people with HIV and the role of chronic inflammation in promoting disease.
She serves as the HIV Pathogenesis and Treatment section editor for Current HIV/AIDS Reports. Additionally, she is a member of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, the Texas Medical Association, and the Dallas County Medical Society.
She has contributed to numerous peer-reviewed articles and delivered many international, national, and regional invited lectures.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2003)
- University of Washington Medical Center (2006), Internal Medicine
- National Institutes of Health (2013), Infectious Diseases
- Intestinal Permeability and Chronic Inflammation
- Potential use of serum-derived bovine immunoglobulin/protein isolate for the management of COVID-19.
- Utay NS, Asmuth DM, Gharakhanian S, Contreras M, Warner CD, Detzel CJ, Drug Dev Res 2021 Jun
- IFNL4 Genotype Does Not Associate with CD4 T-Cell Recovery in People Living with Human Immunodeficiency Virus.
- Meissner EG, Chung D, Tsao B, Haas DW, Utay NS, AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2021 03 37 3 184-188
- Multispectral Imaging Enables Characterization of Intrahepatic Macrophages in Patients With Chronic Liver Disease.
- Saldarriaga OA, Freiberg B, Krishnan S, Rao A, Burks J, Booth AL, Dye B, Utay N, Ferguson M, Akil A, Yi M, Beretta L, Stevenson HL, Hepatol Commun 2020 May 4 5 708-723
- Immune Activation and Inflammation in People With Human Immunodeficiency Virus: Challenging Targets.
- Utay NS, Overton ET, J Infect Dis 2020 04 221 10 1567-1570
- Timing of Antiretroviral Therapy Initiation Determines Rectal Natural Killer Cell Populations.
- Utay NS, Vigil KJ, Somasunderam A, Aulicino PC, Smulevitz B, Chiadika S, Wolf DS, Kimata JT, Arduino RC, AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2020 04 36 4 314-323
- Abnormal Intestinal Microbiome in Medical Disorders and Potential Reversibility by Fecal Microbiota Transplantation.
- DuPont HL, Jiang ZD, DuPont AW, Utay NS, Dig Dis Sci 2020 03 65 3 741-756
- Evaluation of Six Weekly Oral Fecal Microbiota Transplants in People with HIV.
- Utay NS, Monczor AN, Somasunderam A, Lupo S, Jiang ZD, Alexander AS, Finkelman M, Vigil KJ, Lake JE, Hanson B, DuPont HL, Arduino RC, Pathog Immun 2020 5 1 364-381
- Delayed gastrointestinal-associated lymphoid tissue reconstitution in duodenum compared with rectum in HIV-infected patients initiating antiretroviral therapy.
- Sainz T, Serrano-Villar S, Mann S, Ma ZM, Utay NS, Thompson CG, Chun TW, Kashuba AD, Siewe B, Albanese A, Troia-Cancio P, Sinclair E, Somasunderam A, Yotter T, Moreno S, Pollard RB, Landay A, Miller CJ, Asmuth DM, AIDS 2019 12 33 15 2289-2298
- Stunting Is Preceded by Intestinal Mucosal Damage and Microbiome Changes and Is Associated with Systemic Inflammation in a Cohort of Peruvian Infants.
- Zambruni M, Ochoa TJ, Somasunderam A, Cabada MM, Morales ML, Mitreva M, Rosa BA, Acosta GJ, Vigo NI, Riveros M, Arango S, Durand D, Berends MN, Melby P, Utay NS, Am J Trop Med Hyg 2019 11 101 5 1009-1017
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Treatment of Patients with Hepatitis C Resolves Serologic and Histopathologic Features of Autoimmune Hepatitis.
- Simoes CC, Saldarriaga OA, Utay NS, Stueck AE, Merwat SK, Merwat SN, Schiano TD, Fiel MI, Stevenson HL, Hepatol Commun 2019 Aug 3 8 1113-1123
Honors & Awards
- Best New Doctor, Texas Super Doctors Rising Stars
Texas Monthly (2015-2017)
- Top Doctor, Top Doctors of Houston
H Texas Magazine (2014)
- Young Investigator Award
Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (2010-2013)
- AIDS Clinical Trails Group (2011)
- Infectious Diseases Society for America (2006)