Venuprasad K. Poojary, Ph.D., a faculty member in Internal Medicine and Immunology, studies regulatory mechanisms in immune cells that prevent chronic inflammation. Dr. Poojary got his postdoctoral training at La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology in San Diego, CA. His current research interests include post-translational modifications, immune tolerance, and T cell differentiation in regulation of gastrointestinal inflammation and cancer. The goal of his research is to identify key immune checkpoints of gastrointestinal disorders that could be targeted for therapeutic intervention and drug development.
- Colon Cancer
- Gut Microbiota
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBDs)
- Th17/Treg Differentiation
- The synthetic small molecule FL3 combats intestinal tumorigenesis via Axin1-mediated inhibition of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling.
- Jackson DN, Alula KM, Delgado-Deida Y, Tabti R, Turner K, Wang X, Venuprasad K, Souza RF, Désaubry L, Theiss AL, Cancer Res. 2020 Jul
- Deubiquitination of NLRP6 inflammasome by Cyld critically regulates intestinal inflammation.
- Mukherjee S, Kumar R, Tsakem Lenou E, Basrur V, Kontoyiannis DL, Ioakeimidis F, Mosialos G, Theiss AL, Flavell RA, Venuprasad K, Nat. Immunol. 2020 Jun 21 6 626-635
- Gut Microbiota Contributes to Spontaneous Colitis in E3 Ligase Itch-Deficient Mice.
- Kathania M, Tsakem EL, Theiss AL, Venuprasad K, J. Immunol. 2020 Apr 204 8 2277-2284
- Mitochondrial dysfunction during loss of prohibitin 1 triggers Paneth cell defects and ileitis.
- Jackson DN, Panopoulos M, Neumann WL, Turner K, Cantarel BL, Thompson-Snipes L, Dassopoulos T, Feagins LA, Souza RF, Mills JC, Blumberg RS, Venuprasad K, Thompson WE, Theiss AL, Gut 2020 Feb
- SUMOylation of ROR-?t inhibits IL-17 expression and inflammation via HDAC2.
- Singh AK, Khare P, Obaid A, Conlon KP, Basrur V, DePinho RA, Venuprasad K, Nat Commun 2018 10 9 1 4515
- IL-17-driven intestinal fibrosis is inhibited by Itch-mediated ubiquitination of HIC-5.
- Paul J, Singh AK, Kathania M, Elviche TL, Zeng M, Basrur V, Theiss AL, Venuprasad K, Mucosal Immunol 2018 03 11 2 427-436
- Elevated d-2-hydroxyglutarate during colitis drives progression to colorectal cancer.
- Han J, Jackson D, Holm J, Turner K, Ashcraft P, Wang X, Cook B, Arning E, Genta RM, Venuprasad K, Souza RF, Sweetman L, Theiss AL Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2018 Jan 115 5 1057-1062
- Itch inhibits IL-17-mediated colon inflammation and tumorigenesis by ROR-?t ubiquitination.
- Kathania M, Khare P, Zeng M, Cantarel B, Zhang H, Ueno H, Venuprasad K Nat. Immunol. 2016 Jun
- The E3 ubiquitin ligase Itch inhibits p38a signaling and skin inflammation through the ubiquitylation of Tab1.
- Theivanthiran B, Kathania M, Zeng M, Anguiano E, Basrur V, Vandergriff T, Pascual V, Wei WZ, Massoumi R, Venuprasad K Sci Signal 2015 Feb 8 365 ra22
- The E3 ligase Itch and deubiquitinase Cyld act together to regulate Tak1 and inflammation.
- Ahmed N, Zeng M, Sinha I, Polin L, Wei WZ, Rathinam C, Flavell R, Massoumi R, Venuprasad K, Nat. Immunol. 2011 Nov 12 12 1176-83
Immune regulation by ubiquitin conjugation. In Lymphocyte Signal Transduction
Venuprasad K, Yang C, Shao Y, Demydenko D, Harada Y, Jeon MS, Liu YC. (2008). Springer Link
Cbl-b-mediated regulation of cell signaling and cancer. In Signaling Pathways in Immune Cells
Venuprasad K. (2011). Springer Link
- American Association for Advancement of Science (2009)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2009)
- American Society of Cell Biology (2009)
- American Association of Immunologists (2006)