I grew up in Fort Worth, TX before moving to Houston for college and graduate school. My MD/MBA program helped set my interests not only in clinical medicine, but also in making healthcare systems perform better for everyone. Seeking new experiences, my wife and I moved to high-energy Chicago during residency, and then to beautiful Seattle for fellowship. We moved back to Texas once I found an exciting opportunity at a world-class institution -- UT Southwestern Medical Center!
My interests include quality improvement, cost-effectivness research, and other value-based care initiatives, particularly within clinical neurology. I look to promote these concepts within our neurology residency training program through didactics, project mentorship, and real-time clinical decision making. Current/recent projects include reducing avoidable neurological ED visits and improving OSA referrals within the stroke population.
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Jones Business School at Rice University (2011)
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2011)
- Rush University Medical Center (2012), Internal Medicine
- Rush University Medical Center (2015), Neurology
- University of Washington Medical Center (2016), Clinical Neurophysiology
- Cost-effectiveness research
- Delivery Innovation
- Quality Improvement, engaging trainees in Q.I. research and other systems-based practice issues
- Characterization of potentially avoidable neurological emergency department visits at a large urban public hospital.
- Amin A, McCreary M, Dewey C, Hall C, Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2023 36 2 186-189
- Characterisation of TRIM46 autoantibody-associated paraneoplastic neurological syndrome.
- Valencia-Sanchez C, Knight AM, Hammami MB, Guo Y, Mills JR, Kryzer TJ, Piquet AL, Amin A, Heinzelmann M, Lucchinetti CF, Lennon VA, McKeon A, Pittock SJ, Dubey D, J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2021 Dec
- Neurological Considerations of SARS-CoV-2 Infection
- Amin AJ, Blackburn K COVID-19 Action Newsletter, UTSW Internal Medicine 2020 1 16 1-3
- Clinical reasoning: a 35-year-old man with 2 episodes of meningoencephalitis associated with flu-like illnesses.
- Amin AJ, Lewis SL, Neurology 2015 Mar 84 9 e60-4
- Changes in prevalence and characteristics of IgE-mediated food allergies in children referred to a tertiary care center in 2003 and 2008.
- Amin AJ, Davis CM, Allergy Asthma Proc 2012 Jan-Feb 33 1 95-101
- American Academy of Neurology (2012)
- American Epilepsy Society (2015)
- The Neurohospitalist Society (2020)