Christoph U. Lehmann, M.D., is a Professor of Pediatrics, Population and Data Sciences, and Bioinformatics at UT Southwestern, where he directs the Clinical Informatics Center.
Dr. Lehmann received his medical degree from Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat in Germany and completed postdoctoral training at Johns Hopkins University.
He conceived and launched the journal Applied Clinical Informatics, devoted to original research and commentary on the use of computer automation in the day-to-day practice of medicine. He has served as the Editor-in-Chief since its inception. In 2009, he co-edited Pediatric Informatics, the first textbook on this subject.
From 2010 to 2019, Dr. Lehmann served as the inaugural Medical Director of the Child Health Informatics Center for the American Academy of Pediatrics, where he was involved in developing the Model Pediatric EHR Format and currently works on the CHILD Registry. Dr. Lehmann served on the federal Health IT Policy Committee and co-chaired the Health IT for the Care Continuum Task Force at the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT. He was the first chair of the Examination Committee of the American Board of Preventive Medicine, Subcommittee for Clinical Informatics. Dr. Lehmann’s research focuses on improving clinical information technology and clinical decision support.
- Medical School
- Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat (1990)
- Marshall University/Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine (1995), Pediatrics
- Johns Hopkins University/Johns Hopkins Hospital (1998), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Johns Hopkins (2000)
- Applied clinical informatics
- Clinical decision support
- Informatics education
- Association of Healthcare Access With Intensive Care Unit Utilization and Mortality in Patients of Hispanic Ethnicity Hospitalized With COVID-19.
- Velasco F, Yang DM, Zhang M, Nelson T, Sheffield T, Keller T, Wang Y, Walker C, Katterapalli C, Zimmerman K, Masica A, Lehmann CU, Xie Y, Hollingsworth JW, J Hosp Med 2021 11 16 11 659-666
- Before-Visit Questionnaire: A Tool to Augment Communication and Decrease Provider Documentation Burden in Pediatric Diabetes.
- Kumah-Crystal YA, Stein PM, Chen Q, Lehmann CU, Novak LL, Roth S, Rosenbloom ST, Appl Clin Inform 2021 Oct 12 5 969-978
- Rolling Up the Sleeve: Equitable, Efficient, and Safe COVID-19 Mass Immunization for Academic Medical Center Employees.
- McDonald S, Basit MA, Toomay S, McLarty C, Hernandez S, Rubio C, Brown BJ, Rauschuber M, Lai K, Saleh SN, Willett DL, Lehmann CU, Medford RJ, Appl Clin Inform 2021 10 12 5 1074-1081
- Harnessing the Electronic Health Record and Computerized Provider Order Entry Data for Resource Management During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Luu HS, Filkins LM, Park JY, Rakheja D, Tweed J, Menzies C, Wang VJ, Mittal V, Lehmann CU, Sebert ME, JMIR Med Inform 2021 Sep
- Improving Emergency Department Documentation with Non-Interruptive Clinical Decision Support: An Open-Label, Randomized Clinical Efficacy Trial.
- Furmaga J, Courtney DM, Lehmann CU, Green W, O'Connell E, Diercks DB, Ott J, McDonald SA, Acad Emerg Med 2021 Aug
- COVID-19 Mass Vaccination Resource Calculator.
- Pryor GE, Marble K, Velasco FT, Lehmann CU, Basit MA, Appl Clin Inform 2021 08 12 4 774-777
- Web Services and Cloud Computing in Pediatric Care.
- Leu MG, Weinberg ST, Monsen C, Lehmann CU, Pediatrics 2021 Jun
- Integrating Web Services/Applications to Improve Pediatric Functionalities in Electronic Health Records.
- Weinberg ST, Monsen C, Lehmann CU, Leu MG, Pediatrics 2021 Jun
- The Effect of Electronic Health Record Burden on Pediatricians' Work-Life Balance and Career Satisfaction.
- Frintner MP, Kaelber DC, Kirkendall ES, Lourie EM, Somberg CA, Lehmann CU, Appl Clin Inform 2021 May 12 3 697-707
- Determining pediatric hypertension criteria: concordance between observed physician methods and guideline-recommended methods.
- Turer CB, Doney A, Bowen ME, Menzies C, Gheen WT, Bhat D, Fish J, Barlow SE, Skinner CS, Lehmann CU, J Hypertens 2021 May
Honors & Awards
- Physician Innovator Award
Physician in AMIA (2021)
- International Academy of Health Sciences Informatics
Elected to Fellowship (2017)
- Byron Oberst Award
American Academy of Pediatrics (2016)
- Leadership Forum Award
American Academy of Pediatrics (2016)
- Appreciation Award
American Medical Informatics Association (2015)
- American College of Medical Informatics
Elected to Fellowship (2010)
- Leadership Award
American Medical Informatics Association (2009)
- Best Practice Award in Health-System Pharmacy
American Society of Health-System Pharmacy (2006)
- Citation for Distinguished Services Rendered
American Academy of Pediatrics (2006)
- 'Bright Ideas' Award
Johns Hopkins Hospital (2003)
- WG Leadership Award
American Medical Informatics Association (2002)
- Francis F. Schwentker
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University (1998)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society
- American Pediatric Society (APS) (2014)
- HealthITXChange, Member (2011-2014)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2003-2017)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (2001)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Member Council on Clinical Information Technology (2001)
- American Medical Informatics Association (1996)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (1995)