Dr. Gangavati holds a medical degree from Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences in Bellur, India. She completed internal medicine residency training at Northeast Ohio Medical University in Canton, Ohio, where she was Chief Resident. She then obtained advanced training through a fellowship program in geriatric medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in geriatric medicine, Dr. Gangavati joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2019.
Dr. Gangavati's clinical interests include orthostatic hypotension, falls in the elderly population, home-based primary care, perioperative care, and care of frail elderly. She also enjoys teaching and mentoring students.
Dr. Gangavati is a Fellow of the American Geriatrics Society and a member of the Texas Medical Association, the Dallas County Medical Society, the American Medical Association, and the Indian Geriatrics Society.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Gangavati enjoys spending time with her family. She also has a diploma in Indian classical dance.
- Medical School
- University of MySore Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, India (1999)
- Canton Medical Education Foundation (2006), Internal Medicine
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (2008), Geriatric Medicine
- Hypertension/Hypotension and the Risk of Falls in the Elderly Population
- Preventive Medicine and Perioperative Care in the Frail Elderly
- COVID-19 in Long term care facilities.
- Anupama Gangavati, MD, Tara Duval, MD, Namirah Jamshed, MD Covid-19 Action Newsletter C.A.N 2020 1 11
- Hypertension, orthostatic hypotension, and the risk of falls in a community-dwelling elderly population: the maintenance of balance, independent living, intellect, and zest in the elderly of Boston study.
- Gangavati A, Hajjar I, Quach L, Jones RN, Kiely DK, Gagnon P, Lipsitz LA J Am Geriatr Soc 2011 Mar 59 3 383-9
- Establishing standards of quality for elderly patients undergoing pancreatic resection.
- Pratt WB, Gangavati A, Agarwal K, Schreiber R, Lipsitz LA, Callery MP, Vollmer CM Arch Surg 2009 Oct 144 10 950-6
- Prevalence and characteristics of traumatic intracranial hemorrhage in elderly fallers presenting to the emergency department without focal findings.
- Gangavati AS, Kiely DK, Kulchycki LK, Wolfe RE, Mottley JL, Kelly SP, Nathanson LA, Abrams AP, Lipsitz LA J Am Geriatr Soc 2009 Aug 57 8 1470-4
- Stabilization of glomerular filtration rate in advanced chronic kidney disease: a two-year follow-up of a cohort of chronic kidney disease patients stages 4 and 5.
- Serrano A, Huang J, Ghossein C, Nishi L, Gangavathi A, Madhan V, Ramadugu P, Ahya SN, Paparello J, Khosla N, Schlueter W, Batlle D, Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2007 Jan 14 1 105-12
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American Geriatrics Society
- Geriatric Academic Career Award (Grant: K01HP20504)
HRSA Grant (2010-2013)
- Hartford Geriatric Fellowship Award
Harvard Geriatrics BIDMC (2008-2009)
- Harvard/Hartford Foundation Research Fellowship Award
Harvard Geriatrics BIDMC (2007-2008)
- Clinical Vignette Abstract-Oral presentation
ACP National (2006)
- Excellence in teaching award
NEOUCOM Ohio (2005-2006)
- Williams L. Hoppes, MD, Outstanding First-Year Resident Award
NEOUCOM affiliated Hospitals, Canton, Ohio (2004)
- AGS International activities special interest group (2012)
- American Geriatrics Society (AGS) (2006)
- American Medical Association (2004-2007)
- Gerontological Society of America (2006-2015)
- Indian Geriatrics Society (2013)