Dr. Gangavati completed her residency and chief residency at NEOUCOM affiliated hospitals, Canton Ohio. She completed her clinical and research fellowship in Geriatrics at Harvard Combined Geriatric Fellowship Program. After her fellowship, she stayed on at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical center, Harvard Medical school as an Instructor of Medicine and Staff Geriatrician for 5 years. She received her Geriatric Academic Career Award which focused on developing and assessing a multi and interdisciplinary anticoagulation management curriculum in the elderly.
Dr. Gangavati is board certified in both Internal Medicine and Geriatric Medicine.
Dr. Gangavati's clinical interests include orthostatic hypotension, falls, perioperative care and care of frail elderly. She enjoys teaching and mentoring students.
Outside of clinical work, she enjoys spending time with her family. She is trained and has a diploma in Indian classical dance and enjoys dancing.
- Medical School
- University of MySore Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, India (1999)
- Canton Medical Education Foundation (2006), Internal Medicine
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (2008), Geriatric Medicine
- Hypertension/Hypotension and the Risk of Falls in the Elderly Population
- Preventive Medicine and Perioperative Care in the Frail Elderly
- Hypertension, orthostatic hypotension, and the risk of falls in a community-dwelling elderly population: the maintenance of balance, independent living, intellect, and zest in the elderly of Boston study.
- Gangavati A, Hajjar I, Quach L, Jones RN, Kiely DK, Gagnon P, Lipsitz LA J Am Geriatr Soc 2011 Mar 59 3 383-9
- Establishing standards of quality for elderly patients undergoing pancreatic resection.
- Pratt WB, Gangavati A, Agarwal K, Schreiber R, Lipsitz LA, Callery MP, Vollmer CM Arch Surg 2009 Oct 144 10 950-6
- Prevalence and characteristics of traumatic intracranial hemorrhage in elderly fallers presenting to the emergency department without focal findings.
- Gangavati AS, Kiely DK, Kulchycki LK, Wolfe RE, Mottley JL, Kelly SP, Nathanson LA, Abrams AP, Lipsitz LA J Am Geriatr Soc 2009 Aug 57 8 1470-4
- Stabilization of glomerular filtration rate in advanced chronic kidney disease: a two-year follow-up of a cohort of chronic kidney disease patients stages 4 and 5.
- Serrano A, Huang J, Ghossein C, Nishi L, Gangavathi A, Madhan V, Ramadugu P, Ahya SN, Paparello J, Khosla N, Schlueter W, Batlle D, Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2007 Jan 14 1 105-12
Honors & Awards
- Geriatric Academic Career Award (Grant: K01HP20504)
HRSA Grant (2010-2013)
- Hartford Geriatric Fellowship Award
Harvard Geriatrics BIDMC (2008-2009)
- Harvard/Hartford Foundation Research Fellowship Award
Harvard Geriatrics BIDMC (2007-2008)
- Clinical Vignette Abstract-Oral presentation
ACP National (2006)
- Excellence in teaching award
NEOUCOM Ohio (2005-2006)
- Williams L. Hoppes, MD, Outstanding First-Year Resident Award
NEOUCOM affiliated Hospitals, Canton, Ohio (2004)
- Indian Geriatrics Society (2013)
- AGS International activities special interest group (2012)
- American Geriatrics Society (AGS) (2006)
- Gerontological Society of America (2006-2015)
- American Medical Association (2004-2007)