Dr. Dao received her medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical School in 1999 and is a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. She completed her internship and residency training in Internal Medicine at Washington University-Barnes Jewish Hospital in Saint Louis, MO then returned to Dallas for her rheumatology fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. During her fellowship, Dr. Dao’s research focused on lupus gene expression profiles using micro-array analysis; her data were well received as oral presentations at the American College of Rheumatology meetings and subsequently published. After completing her fellowship training, she joined Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas and later served as the Associate Chief of Rheumatology at Texas Health Presbyterian in Dallas, Texas. From 2010-2019, she assumed duties as the Associate Director of Clinical Rheumatology at Baylor Research Institute in Dallas where she was actively involved in patient care, medical education, and clinical research. In 2019, she joined UT Southwestern as a faculty member professor in the Division of Rheumatic Diseaes. Outside of her clinical duties, she had served on various committees for the American College of Rheumatology and had been active with the Arthritis Foundation, establishing the “Part of Me” project, raising money for research and education for 5 years. She has lectured and authored articles, book chapters, taught rheumatology for board review courses, and blogged on different topics in rheumatology. She was voted as one of D-magazine Best Doctors by her peers from 2007 to present time. Her areas of interest include Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Reproductive Health in Rheumatic Diseases, and Drug Safety.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1999)
- Washington University Barnes Jewish Hospital/ St. Louis Children's Hospital Consortium Program (2000), Internal Medicine
- Washington University Barnes Jewish Hospital/ St. Louis Children's Hospital Consortium Program (2002), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Rheumatology
- COVID19 and Rheumatic Diseases
- Pregnancy and Lactation Autoimmune Network Registry
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Clinical Studies
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Clinical Studies
- Perceptions of Pregnancy and Lactation from the Pregnancy and Lactation Autoimmune Network Registry.
- Mills BS, Dao KH, Tecson KM, Beil EF, Tate R, Cush JJ, J. Rheumatol. 2019 Apr
- TNF-driven adaptive response mediates resistance to EGFR inhibition in lung cancer.
- Gong K, Guo G, E Gerber D, Gao B, Peyton M, Huang C, D Minna J, J Hatanpaa K, Kernstine K, Cai L, Xie Y, Zhu H, Fattah F, Zhang S, Takahashi M, Mukherjee B, Burma S, Dowell J, Dao K, A Papadimitrakopoulou V, Olivas V, G Bivona T, Zhao D, A Habib A J. Clin. Invest. 2018 Apr
- Proceedings from the American College of Rheumatology Reproductive Health Summit: the management of fertility, pregnancy, and lactation in women with autoimmune and systemic inflammatory diseases.
- Kavanaugh A, Cush JJ, Ahmed MS, Bermas BL, Chakravarty E, Chambers C, Clowse M, Curtis JR, Dao K, Hankins GD, Koren G, Kim SC, Lapteva L, Mahadevan U, Moore T, Nolan M, Ren Z, Sammaritano LR, Seymour S, Weisman MH, Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2015 Mar 67 3 313-25
- SLE peripheral blood B cell, T cell and myeloid cell transcriptomes display unique profiles and each subset contributes to the interferon signature.
- Becker AM, Dao KH, Han BK, Kornu R, Lakhanpal S, Mobley AB, Li QZ, Lian Y, Wu T, Reimold AM, Olsen NJ, Karp DR, Chowdhury FZ, Farrar JD, Satterthwaite AB, Mohan C, Lipsky PE, Wakeland EK, Davis LS, PLoS ONE 2013 8 6 e67003
- Nonserious infections: should there be cause for serious concerns?
- Dao KH, Herbert M, Habal N, Cush JJ, Rheum. Dis. Clin. North Am. 2012 Nov 38 4 707-25
- Safety, tolerability, and clinical outcomes after intraarticular injection of a recombinant adeno-associated vector containing a tumor necrosis factor antagonist gene: results of a phase 1/2 Study.
- Mease PJ, Wei N, Fudman EJ, Kivitz AJ, Schechtman J, Trapp RG, Hobbs KF, Greenwald M, Hou A, Bookbinder SA, Graham GE, Wiesenhutter CW, Willis L, Ruderman EM, Forstot JZ, Maricic MJ, Dao KH, Pritchard CH, Fiske DN, Burch FX, Prupas HM, Anklesaria P, Heald AE, J. Rheumatol. 2010 Apr 37 4 692-703
- Acute polyarthritis.
- Dao K, Cush JJ, Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2006 Aug 20 4 653-72
- Increased prevalence of activated CD70+CD4+ T cells in the periphery of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Han BK, White AM, Dao KH, Karp DR, Wakeland EK, Davis LS, Lupus 2005 14 8 598-606
- Determinants for breast feeding and bottle feeding in Botswana.
- Omondi LO, Persson LA, Staugård F, J. Trop. Pediatr. 1990 02 36 1 28-33
Chapter 10: Rheumatology. In Medical Secrets, 6th Ed.
R. Kornu, K Dao, R Patel, C Orozco (Ed.) (2019). Elsevier
Polyarthritis and Fever. In Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2nd Ed.
Dao K, Cush JJ (2014).
Rheumatology. In Medical Secrets, 5th Ed.
R Kornu, K Dao, R Patel, C Orozco (Ed.) (2012). Mosby
Drug Safety: Managing Innovation in Rheumatology
Cush J, Dao K (Ed.) (2012). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
The Washington Manual Subspecialty Consult Series: Rheumatology Subspecialty
Kevin Latinis, Kathryn Dao, Ernesto Gutierrez, et. al. (Ed.) (2004). Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine - Best Doctors
- Alpha Omega Alpha - Medical Honor Society
- American College of Physicians (2004)
- Dallas County Medical Association (2004)
- Texas Medical Association (2004)
- American College of Rheumatology (2002)