Kathryn Dao, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Kathryn Dao, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern and a member of the Division of Rheumatic Diseases. She specializes in systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, sarcoidosis, gout, vasculitis, and pregnancy and lactation in patients with rheumatic diseases.
Dr. Dao earned her medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical School. She completed a residency in internal medicine at Washington University Barnes-Jewish Hospital and returned to UT Southwestern for advanced training through a rheumatology fellowship.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in rheumatology, Dr. Dao joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2019.
Dr. Dao is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and a member of the American College of Rheumatology, the Texas Medical Association, and the Dallas County Medical Society. Additionally, she is a contributing author and blogger for RheumNow.com. She has published numerous academic articles related to rheumatology. She has been named a D Magazine "Best Doctor" for 15 consecutive years from 2008 to 2022.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1999)
- Washington University Barnes Jewish Hospital/ St. Louis Children's Hospital Consortium Program (2000), Internal Medicine
- Washington University Barnes Jewish Hospital/ St. Louis Children's Hospital Consortium Program (2002), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Rheumatology
- COVID19 and Rheumatic Diseases
- Pregnancy and Lactation Autoimmune Network Registry
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Clinical Studies
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Clinical Studies
- Perceptions of Pregnancy and Lactation from the Pregnancy and Lactation Autoimmune Network Registry.
- Mills BS, Dao KH, Tecson KM, Beil EF, Tate R, Cush JJ, J. Rheumatol. 2019 Apr
- TNF-driven adaptive response mediates resistance to EGFR inhibition in lung cancer.
- Gong K, Guo G, E Gerber D, Gao B, Peyton M, Huang C, D Minna J, J Hatanpaa K, Kernstine K, Cai L, Xie Y, Zhu H, Fattah F, Zhang S, Takahashi M, Mukherjee B, Burma S, Dowell J, Dao K, A Papadimitrakopoulou V, Olivas V, G Bivona T, Zhao D, A Habib A J. Clin. Invest. 2018 Apr
- Proceedings from the American College of Rheumatology Reproductive Health Summit: the management of fertility, pregnancy, and lactation in women with autoimmune and systemic inflammatory diseases.
- Kavanaugh A, Cush JJ, Ahmed MS, Bermas BL, Chakravarty E, Chambers C, Clowse M, Curtis JR, Dao K, Hankins GD, Koren G, Kim SC, Lapteva L, Mahadevan U, Moore T, Nolan M, Ren Z, Sammaritano LR, Seymour S, Weisman MH, Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2015 Mar 67 3 313-25
- SLE peripheral blood B cell, T cell and myeloid cell transcriptomes display unique profiles and each subset contributes to the interferon signature.
- Becker AM, Dao KH, Han BK, Kornu R, Lakhanpal S, Mobley AB, Li QZ, Lian Y, Wu T, Reimold AM, Olsen NJ, Karp DR, Chowdhury FZ, Farrar JD, Satterthwaite AB, Mohan C, Lipsky PE, Wakeland EK, Davis LS, PLoS ONE 2013 8 6 e67003
- Nonserious infections: should there be cause for serious concerns?
- Dao KH, Herbert M, Habal N, Cush JJ, Rheum. Dis. Clin. North Am. 2012 Nov 38 4 707-25
- Safety, tolerability, and clinical outcomes after intraarticular injection of a recombinant adeno-associated vector containing a tumor necrosis factor antagonist gene: results of a phase 1/2 Study.
- Mease PJ, Wei N, Fudman EJ, Kivitz AJ, Schechtman J, Trapp RG, Hobbs KF, Greenwald M, Hou A, Bookbinder SA, Graham GE, Wiesenhutter CW, Willis L, Ruderman EM, Forstot JZ, Maricic MJ, Dao KH, Pritchard CH, Fiske DN, Burch FX, Prupas HM, Anklesaria P, Heald AE, J. Rheumatol. 2010 Apr 37 4 692-703
- Acute polyarthritis.
- Dao K, Cush JJ, Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2006 Aug 20 4 653-72
- Increased prevalence of activated CD70+CD4+ T cells in the periphery of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Han BK, White AM, Dao KH, Karp DR, Wakeland EK, Davis LS, Lupus 2005 14 8 598-606
- Determinants for breast feeding and bottle feeding in Botswana.
- Omondi LO, Persson LA, Staugård F, J. Trop. Pediatr. 1990 02 36 1 28-33
Chapter 10: Rheumatology. In Medical Secrets, 6th Ed.
R. Kornu, K Dao, R Patel, C Orozco (Ed.) (2019). Elsevier
Polyarthritis and Fever. In Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2nd Ed.
Dao K, Cush JJ (2014).
Rheumatology. In Medical Secrets, 5th Ed.
R Kornu, K Dao, R Patel, C Orozco (Ed.) (2012). Mosby
Drug Safety: Managing Innovation in Rheumatology
Cush J, Dao K (Ed.) (2012). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
The Washington Manual Subspecialty Consult Series: Rheumatology Subspecialty
Kevin Latinis, Kathryn Dao, Ernesto Gutierrez, et. al. (Ed.) (2004). Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine - Best Doctors
- Alpha Omega Alpha - Medical Honor Society
- American College of Physicians (2004)
- American College of Rheumatology (2002)
- Dallas County Medical Association (2004)
- Texas Medical Association (2004)