Dr. Baowei Fei is a Professor in the Department of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He is also a Full Professor and Cecil H. and Ida Green Chair in Systems Biology Science in the Department of Bioengineering at the University of Texas (UT) at Dallas. He is Director of Quantitative Bioimaging Laboratory (https://www.fei-lab.org). Before he was recruited to UT Dallas in 2018, Dr. Fei was Associate Professor with tenure in the Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences and Department of Mathematics & Computer Science at Emory University where he was Director of the Precision Imaging – Quantitative, Molecular & Image-Guided Technologies Program. Dr. Fei was a Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Scholar, served as a faculty member, and mentored Ph.D. students in the Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering at Emory University and Georgia Institute of Technology in 2009-2018.
Dr. Fei received his Ph.D. and M.Sc. degrees from Case Western Reserve University in Ohio. With a prestigious scholarship from the U.S. Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program, Dr. Fei completed his post-doctoral training at the same institution. He was Assistant Professor in the Departments of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering at Case Western Reserve University in 2005-2008.
Dr. Fei received numerous awards at the national and local levels. In 2013, Dr. Fei was selected as a Distinguished Investigator by the Academy for Radiology & Biomedical Imaging Research. In the same year, he as a faculty member received the Emory 1% Award. In 2010, he received the Young Investigator Award from the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. He was a recipient of the U.S. Department of Defense Post-Doctoral Traineeship Award. He was recognized as a Distinguished Scholar by the Georgia Cancer Coalition and the Governor of Georgia in 2009.
Dr. Fei is a national leader in quantitative imaging and image-guided interventions. He serves as Conference Chair for the International Conference of SPIE Medical Imaging – Image-Guided Procedures, Robotics Interventions, and Modeling from 2017-2020. The SPIE Medical Imaging Conference is the internationally recognized premier forum for reporting state-of-the-art research and development in medical imaging. Dr. Fei served as the Chair for the National Institute of Health (NIH) Study Section ZRG1 SBIB-J (56) on Imaging and Image-guided Interventions and as co-Chair for multiple NIH and Department of Defense (DOD) Study Section Panels. He served as an Associate Editor for Medical Physics, an Editorial Board Member for the Journal of Biomedical Optics and other five journals in the field of biomedical imaging, and a reviewer for more than 20 international journals in medical imaging. Dr. Fei is a Senior Member of the International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE). He is also a member of American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM), World Molecular Imaging Society (WMIS), and Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI). Dr. Fei has published more than 200 peer-reviewed journal papers, full-length conference proceedings, and book chapters.
Dr. Fei served as Principal Investigator (PI) of 20 research grants from the National Institute of Health (NIH), Department of Defense (DOD), foundations, industry, state and local programs, and other agencies. He also served as co-investigator for more than 17 other funded grants. Dr. Fei led and completed a first-in-human clinical trial on PET/ultrasound fusion targeted biopsy of the prostate and contributed to the improvement of prostate cancer detection and patient care. Dr. Fei currently serves as PI for three active NIH R01 grants. The titles of the three R01 grants are listed as: 1) Molecular imaging directed, 3D ultrasound-guided, biopsy system (R01CA156775), 2) Image-guided intravascular robotic system for mitral valve repair and implants (R01HL140325), and 3) Academic-industrial partnership for translation of PET/TRUS guided intervention (R01CA204254).
Dr. Fei enjoys mentoring undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and visiting scholars when they undertake research projects. His graduate students received multiple national awards at the International Conference of SPIE Medical Imaging and other organization. His trainees have become faculty members in academic institutions in the USA and other countries. Dr. Fei envisions that biomedical imaging will be a leading force in a new era of precision medicine where quantitative methods of engineering and systems sciences have a pivotal role in disease detection, diagnostics, and treatment. The mission of his research lab is to shape and advance the science and technology of biomedical imaging through innovative research and inspiring education, with the goal of becoming a destination laboratory internationally recognized as a first choice of both researchers and students.
For more information, please visit his lab website at https://www.fei-lab.org.
- Cancer research: prostate, head and neck, breast, pancreas, and brain
- Cardiovascular diseases: heart failure
- Image-guided interventions: image-guided surgery, therapy, biopsy, and drug delivery
- Imaging: biomedical imaging, digital imaging
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) for biomedical imaging applications
- Multimodality imaging: hyperspectral imaging, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), positron emission tomography (PET), computed tomography (CT), and ultrasound imaging
- Neurodegenerative disorders
- Quantitative imaging: image processing & analysis, segmentation, classification, and registration
- Translational imaging: cellular & molecular imaging, small animal imaging, and clinical imaging
- Virtual reality, augmented reality, mixed reality for biomedical and clinical applications
- A semiautomatic segmentation method for prostate in CT images using local texture classification and statistical shape modeling.
- Shahedi M, Halicek M, Guo R, Zhang G, Schuster DM, Fei B Med Phys 2018 Apr
- PSNet: prostate segmentation on MRI based on a convolutional neural network.
- Tian Z, Liu L, Zhang Z, Fei B J Med Imaging (Bellingham) 2018 Apr 5 2 021208
- Imaging technologies for cardiac fiber and heart failure: a review.
- Watson SR, Dormer JD, Fei B Heart Fail Rev 2018 Mar 23 2 273-289
- Convolutional Neural Networks for the Detection of Diseased Hearts Using CT Images and Left Atrium Patches.
- Dormer JD, Halicek M, Ma L, Reilly CM, Schreibmann E, Fei B Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng 2018 Feb 10575
- Heart Chamber Segmentation from CT Using Convolutional Neural Networks.
- Dormer JD, Ma L, Halicek M, Reilly CM, Schreibmann E, Fei B Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng 2018 Feb 10578
- Tumor Margin Classification of Head and Neck Cancer Using Hyperspectral Imaging and Convolutional Neural Networks.
- Halicek M, Little JV, Wang X, Patel M, Griffith CC, Chen AY, Fei B Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng 2018 Feb 10576
- A semiautomatic algorithm for three-dimensional segmentation of the prostate on CT images using shape and local texture characteristics.
- Shahedi M, Ma L, Halicek M, Guo R, Zhang G, Schuster DM, Nieh P, Master V, Fei B Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng 2018 Feb 10576
- Deformable Registration of Histological Cancer Margins to Gross Hyperspectral Images using Demons.
- Halicek M, Little JV, Wang X, Chen ZG, Patel M, Griffith CC, El-Deiry MW, Saba NF, Chen AY, Fei B Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng 2018 Feb 10581
- Ultrasound Segmentation of Rat Hearts Using Convolution Neural Networks.
- Dormer JD, Guo R, Shen M, Jiang R, Wagner MB, Fei B Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng 2018 Feb 10580
- Optical Biopsy of Head and Neck Cancer Using Hyperspectral Imaging and Convolutional Neural Networks.
- Halicek M, Little JV, Wang X, Patel M, Griffith CC, El-Deiry MW, Chen AY, Fei B Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng 2018 Jan-Feb 10469
Honors & Awards
- Cecil H. and Ida Green Chair in Systems Biology Science
The University of Texas at Dallas (2018)
- Chair of the NIH Study Section
on Integrating Biospecimens into Clinical Assay Development, National Institutes of Health (NIH) (2018)
- Conference Chair
The SPIE Medical Imaging: Image-guided Procedures, Robotic Interventions, and Modeling (2017-2020)
- Chair of NIH Study Section
on Early Phase Clinical Trials in Imaging and Image-guided Interventions, National Institutes of Health (NIH) (2016-2017)
- Distinguished Investigator Award
The Academy for Radiology & Biomedical Imaging Research, Washington, DC (2013)
- The Emory 1% Faculty Award
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA (2013)
- The Outstanding Young Investigator Award
Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA (2013)
- Distinguished Cancer Scholar
Georgia Cancer Coalition and the Governor of Georgia (2009)
- Young Investigator Award - First Place
Computer and Instrumentation Council, The Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (2009)
- Postdoctoral Traineeship Award
U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs
- Radiological Society of Northern America (RSNA) (2011)
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) (2009)
- World Molecular Imaging Society (WMIS) (2009)
- Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI) (2006)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Inc. (IEEE) (2002)
- International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) (2002)