Laila Castellino, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine.
Originally from India, Dr. Castellino completed her medical training at Grant Medical College in Mumbai. She completed internal medicine residency training at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, followed by a fellowship in infectious diseases at Mount Sinai Beth-Israel Medical Center in New York City.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in infectious diseases, Dr. Castellino joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2019.
Dr. Castellino has a strong clinical interest in bone and joint infections, having successfully initiated a multidisciplinary high-risk foot clinic that led to a decrease in limb amputations. Before leaving the VA she served as the local site investigator for the VA-sponsored study Investigation of Rifampin to Reduce Pedal Amputations for Osteomyelitis in Diabetics, or VA INTREPID.
- Medical School
- Grant Medical College, India (2001)
- Maimonides Medical Center (2005), Internal Medicine
- Mount Sinai Beth Isreal (2007), Infectious Diseases
- Bone & Joint Infections
- Healthcare Epidemiology
- Healthcare-associated Legionnaires' disease: Limitations of surveillance definitions and importance of epidemiologic investigation.
- Castellino LM, Gamage SD, Hoffman PV, Kralovic SM, Holodniy M, Bernstein JM, Roselle GA J Infect Prev 2017 Nov 18 6 307-310
- Serratia fonticola, pathogen or bystander? A case series and review of the literature.
- Aljorayid A, Viau R, Castellino L, Jump RL IDCases 2016 5 6-8
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center employee comments suggest additional educational targets to improve influenza vaccination campaigns.
- Castellino L, Cheek VL, Jump RL Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2015 Mar 36 3 363-4
- Escherichia coli sequence type 131 (ST131) subclone H30 as an emergent multidrug-resistant pathogen among US veterans.
- Colpan A, Johnston B, Porter S, Clabots C, Anway R, Thao L, Kuskowski MA, Tchesnokova V, Sokurenko EV, Johnson JR Clin. Infect. Dis. 2013 Nov 57 9 1256-65
HIV Infection/AIDS. In Genital and Perianal Diseases: A Color Handbook
Castellino L (2014). Boca Raton, FL, CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group
Honors & Awards
- Directors Gold Coin Award
Dayton VA Medical Center (2018)
- Special Contribution Award for Patient Safety
Dayton VA Medical Center (2011)
- Excellent in Teaching Award
Wright State University and Dayton VA Medical Center (2009)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2007)
- Society for Health Care Epidemiology (2015)