Dr. Tessier grew up in the suburbs of Syracuse, NY, and attended Cornell University as an undergraduate biochemistry major. He was awarded a US Navy Health Professions Scholarship to attend medical school at the State University of New York at Buffalo where he graduated summa cum laude. He completed his Internal Medicine internship and residency at the Naval Medical Center in Portsmouth, VA, followed by an additional year as the Chief of Residents and a staff appointment as an internist and associate program director. He was transferred to the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda (now the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center) just prior to the events of September 11, 2001 and the anthrax bioterrorism attacks. Dr. Tessier left active duty to complete his Infectious Diseases fellowship at the University of Virginia; during and after his fellowship he conducted research on the role of bacterial protein toxins in the pathogenesis of anthrax, a disease he became interested in due to his experiences in the Navy. He then accepted a faculty position at Virginia Commonwealth University as a transplant infectious diseases consultant. He became the medical director for transplant infectious diseases at VCU and was promoted to associate professor. Family circumstances resulted in a move to north Texas and a new job as the medical director of antimicrobial stewardship at the John Peter Smith Health Network in Fort Worth, TX. Dr. Tessier enthusiastically pursued a faculty appointment at UT Southwestern and joined the infectious diseases division in the autumn of 2018. He brings with him expertise in transplant and general infectious diseases, antimicrobial stewardship, the pathogenesis of diseases associated with bacterial protein toxins, as well as a passion for teaching medical students, residents, and fellows.
- Medical School
- State University of New York - Buffalo (1995)
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth (1998), Internal Medicine
- Chief Resident
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth (1999), Internal Medicine
- University of Virginia Health System (2006), Infectious Diseases
- clinical outcomes in transplant patients
- Clostridium difficile infection
- pathogenesis of anthrax meningitis
- Measuring Provider Compliance with an Institution-Based Clinical Pathway for Diverticulitis Using Radiologic Criteria.
- Gonzalez G, Montemayor E, Sanders JM, Burton M, Tessier JM, Duane TM Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2018 Oct 19 7 655-660
- Antibiotics vs. Appendectomy for Acute Uncomplicated Appendicitis in Adults: Review of the Evidence and Future Directions.
- Huston JM, Kao LS, Chang PK, Sanders JM, Buckman S, Adams CA, Cocanour CS, Parli SE, Grabowski J, Diaz J, Tessier JM, Duane TM Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2017 Jul 18 5 527-535
- Response to "Re-Thinking the Definition of Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infection".
- Mazuski JE, Tessier JM, May AK, Sawyer RG Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2017 04 18 3 375-376
- The Surgical Infection Society Revised Guidelines on the Management of Intra-Abdominal Infection.
- Mazuski JE, Tessier JM, May AK, Sawyer RG, Nadler EP, Rosengart MR, Chang PK, O'Neill PJ, Mollen KP, Huston JM, Diaz JJ, Prince JM Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2017 Jan 18 1 1-76
- defining a model for antimicrobial stewardship-results from an international cross-sectional survey.
- Sartelli M, Labricciosa FM, Barbadoro P, Pagani L, Ansaloni L, Brink AJ, Carlet J, Khanna A, Chichom-Mefire A, Coccolini F, Di Saverio S, May AK, Viale P, Watkins RR, Scudeller L, Abbo LM, Abu-Zidan FM, Adesunkanmi AK, Al-Dahir S, Al-Hasan MN, Alis H, Alves C, Araujo da Silva AR, Augustin G, Bala M, Barie PS, Beltrán MA, Bhangu A, Bouchra B, Brecher SM, Caínzos MA, Camacho-Ortiz A, Catani M, Chandy SJ, Jusoh AC, Cherry-Bukowiec JR, Chiara O, Colak E, Cornely OA, Cui Y, Demetrashvili Z, De Simone B, De Waele JJ, Dhingra S, Di Marzo F, Dogjani A, Dorj G, Dortet L, Duane TM, Elmangory MM, Enani MA, Ferrada P, Esteban Foianini J, Gachabayov M, Gandhi C, Ghnnam WM, Giamarellou H, Gkiokas G, Gomi H, Goranovic T, Griffiths EA, Guerra Gronerth RI, Haidamus Monteiro JC, Hardcastle TC, Hecker A, Hodonou AM, Ioannidis O, Isik A, Iskandar KA, Kafil HS, Kanj SS, Kaplan LJ, Kapoor G, Karamarkovic AR, Kenig J, Kerschaever I, Khamis F, Khokha V, Kiguba R, Kim HB, Ko WC, Koike K, Kozlovska I, Kumar A, Lagunes L, Latifi R, Lee JG, Lee YR, Leppäniemi A, Li Y, Liang SY, Lowman W, Machain GM, Maegele M, Major P, Malama S, Manzano-Nunez R, Marinis A, Martinez Casas I, Marwah S, Maseda E, McFarlane ME, Memish Z, Mertz D, Mesina C, Mishra SK, Moore EE, Munyika A, Mylonakis E, Napolitano L, Negoi I, Nestorovic MD, Nicolau DP, Omari AH, Ordonez CA, Paiva JA, Pant ND, Parreira JG, Pedziwiatr M, Pereira BM, Ponce-de-Leon A, Poulakou G, Preller J, Pulcini C, Pupelis G, Quiodettis M, Rawson TM, Reis T, Rems M, Rizoli S, Roberts J, Pereira NR, Rodríguez-Baño J, Sakakushev B, Sanders J, Santos N, Sato N, Sawyer RG, Scarpelini S, Scoccia L, Shafiq N, Shelat V, Sifri CD, Siribumrungwong B, Søreide K, Soto R, de Souza HP, Talving P, Trung NT, Tessier JM, Tumbarello M, Ulrych J, Uranues S, Van Goor H, Vereczkei A, Wagenlehner F, Xiao Y, Yuan KC, Wechsler-Fördös A, Zahar JR, Zakrison TL, Zuckerbraun B, Zuidema WP, Catena F World J Emerg Surg 2017 12 34
- Prophylactic Gentamicin Is Not Associated with Acute Kidney Injury in Patients with Open Fractures.
- Tessier JM, Moore B, Putty B, Gandhi RR, Duane TM Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2016 Dec 17 6 720-723
- Inclusion of Vancomycin as Part of Broad-Spectrum Coverage Does Not Improve Outcomes in Patients with Intra-Abdominal Infections: A Post Hoc Analysis.
- Sanders JM, Tessier JM, Sawyer RG, Lipsett PA, Miller PR, Namias N, O'Neill PJ, Dellinger EP, Coimbra R, Guidry CA, Cuschieri J, Banton KL, Cook CH, Moore BJ, Duane TM Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2016 Dec 17 6 694-699
- Antimicrobial Stewardship: A Call to Action for Surgeons.
- Sartelli M, Duane TM, Catena F, Tessier JM, Coccolini F, Kao LS, De Simone B, Labricciosa FM, May AK, Ansaloni L, Mazuski JE Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2016 Dec 17 6 625-631
- Unique characteristics of cryptococcosis identified after death in patients with liver cirrhosis: comparison with concurrent cohort diagnosed antemortem.
- Singh N, Sifri CD, Silveira FP, Miller R, Gregg KS, Huprikar S, Lease ED, Zimmer A, Dummer JS, Spak CW, Koval C, Banach DB, Shroff M, Le J, Ostrander D, Avery R, Eid A, Razonable RR, Montero J, Blumberg E, Alynbiawi A, Morris MI, Randall HB, Alangaden G, Tessier J, Cacciarelli TV, Wagener MM, Sun HY Med. Mycol. 2016 Sep
- Infections in the Non-Transplanted Immunocompromised Host.
- Tessier JM Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2016 Jun 17 3 323-8
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America (FIDSA)
- William B. Porter Outstanding Clinician Award
Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University (2012)
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP)
- Teacher of the Year
Department of Internal Medicine, National Naval Medical Center (2003)
- James J. Leonard Award for Excellence in Teaching Internal Medicine
Department of Internal Medicine, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences (2000)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honors Society
Epsilon Chapter, SUNY Buffalo (1995)
- Surgical Infection Society of North America (2012)
- American Society of Transplantation (2009)
- American Society of Microbiology (2003)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) (2003)