Dr. Pooja Koolwal is originally from the Rio Grande Valley and received her medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX. She then completed her Internal Medicine residency and Nephrology fellowship at Washington University in St. Louis, MO. She was drawn to UTSW by the opportunity to care for the underserved dialysis population at Parkland Hospital, but her clinical interests also include home dialysis modalities, women’s health in nephrology and resident education. Outside of work, she enjoys spending time with family and traveling.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2013)
- Washington University Barnes Jewish Hospital/ St. Louis Children's Hospital Consortium Program (2016), Internal Medicine
- Washington University School of Medicine (2018), Nephrology
- Travel advice for the immunocompromised traveler: prophylaxis, vaccination, and other preventive measures.
- Patel RR, Liang SY, Koolwal P, Kuhlmann FM Ther Clin Risk Manag 2015 11 217-28
- Epidermal growth factor down-regulates the expression of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) through E-cadherin in pancreatic cancer cells.
- Tong Z, Chakraborty S, Sung B, Koolwal P, Kaur S, Aggarwal BB, Mani SA, Bresalier RS, Batra SK, Guha S Cancer 2011 Jun 117 11 2408-18
Honors & Awards
- Knowlton Incentive for Excellence Award
Washington University, St. Louis (2017)
- Internal Medicine Distinguished Service Award
Washington University, St. Louis (2016)