Dr. Chung earned his medical degree at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. He completed a residency in internal medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital followed by a medical oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC), where he remained as a faculty member of the Leukemia Service for six years before joining the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018. His clinical interests include the myelodysplastic syndromes and acute myeloid leukemia, as well as clonal hematopoiesis. His laboratory is focused on understanding and targeting disease stem cells in hematologic malignancies.
- Medical School
- Washington University School of Medicine (2006)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (2009), Internal Medicine
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (2012), Medical Oncology
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Clonal Hematopoiesis
- Leukemia Stem Cells
- The Myelodysplastic Syndromes
- CD99 is a therapeutic target on disease stem cells in myeloid malignancies.
- Chung SS, Eng WS, Hu W, Khalaj M, Garrett-Bakelman FE, Tavakkoli M, Levine RL, Carroll M, Klimek VM, Melnick AM, Park CY Sci Transl Med 2017 01 9 374
- Hematopoietic stem cell origin of BRAFV600E mutations in hairy cell leukemia.
- Chung SS, Kim E, Park JH, Chung YR, Lito P, Teruya-Feldstein J, Hu W, Beguelin W, Monette S, Duy C, Rampal R, Telis L, Patel M, Kim MK, Huberman K, Bouvier N, Berger MF, Melnick AM, Rosen N, Tallman MS, Park CY, Abdel-Wahab O Sci Transl Med 2014 May 6 238 238ra71
- Convergence of oncogenic cooperation at single-cell and single-gene levels drives leukemic transformation.
- Liu Y, Gu Z, Cao H, Kaphle P, Lyu J, Zhang Y, Hu W, Chung SS, Dickerson KE, Xu J, Nat Commun 2021 11 12 1 6323
- The association of leukocyte immunoglobulin-like receptor subfamily B-4 expression in acute myeloid leukemia and central nervous system involvement.
- Bergstrom CP, Dahiya S, Chen W, Zhang CC, Zhu H, Yan J, Madanat Y, Patel P, Vusirkala M, Ramakrishnan P, Rizvi S, Chung S, Awan F, Anderson LD, Collins R, Kansagra A, Leuk Res 2020 Nov 100 106480
- Banking on a cooperative effort.
- Chung SS, Leuk Lymphoma 2019 12 60 13 3102-3103
- CD97 is a critical regulator of acute myeloid leukemia stem cell function.
- Martin GH, Roy N, Chakraborty S, Desrichard A, Chung SS, Woolthuis CM, Hu W, Berezniuk I, Garrett-Bakelman FE, Hamann J, Devlin SM, Chan TA, Park CY, J Exp Med 2019 10 216 10 2362-2377
- Oncogenic TRK fusions are amenable to inhibition in hematologic malignancies.
- Taylor J, Pavlick D, Yoshimi A, Marcelus C, Chung SS, Hechtman JF, Benayed R, Cocco E, Durham BH, Bitner L, Inoue D, Chung YR, Mullaney K, Watts JM, Diamond EL, Albacker LA, Mughal TI, Ebata K, Tuch BB, Ku N, Scaltriti M, Roshal M, Arcila M, Ali S, Hyman DM, Park JH, Abdel-Wahab O J. Clin. Invest. 2018 Aug 128 9 3819-3825
- Aging, hematopoiesis, and the myelodysplastic syndromes.
- Chung SS, Park CY Blood Adv 2017 Dec 1 26 2572-2578
- Distinct evolution and dynamics of epigenetic and genetic heterogeneity in acute myeloid leukemia.
- Li S, Garrett-Bakelman FE, Chung SS, Sanders MA, Hricik T, Rapaport F, Patel J, Dillon R, Vijay P, Brown AL, Perl AE, Cannon J, Bullinger L, Luger S, Becker M, Lewis ID, To LB, Delwel R, Löwenberg B, Döhner H, Döhner K, Guzman ML, Hassane DC, Roboz GJ, Grimwade D, Valk PJ, D'Andrea RJ, Carroll M, Park CY, Neuberg D, Levine R, Melnick AM, Mason CE Nat. Med. 2016 07 22 7 792-9
- CD34-Selected Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplants Conditioned with Myeloablative Regimens and Antithymocyte Globulin for Advanced Myelodysplastic Syndrome: Limited Graft-versus-Host Disease without Increased Relapse.
- Tamari R, Chung SS, Papadopoulos EB, Jakubowski AA, Hilden P, Devlin SM, Goldberg JD, Perales MA, Ponce DM, Sauter CS, Maloy MA, Herman DY, Klimek V, Young JW, O'Reilly RJ, Giralt SA, Castro-Malaspina H Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2015 Dec 21 12 2106-2114
Acute Myeloid Leukemia Stem Cells. In Cancer Stem Cells
Chung SS, Park CY (2014). Wiley
Honors & Awards
- Junior Faculty Scholar Award in Basic/Translational Research
American Society of Hematology (2020)
- Disease-Oriented Clinical Scholar
UT Southwestern (2018)
- First-time Tenure-track Scholar
- Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award (K08)
- Early Career Award in Myelodysplastic Syndrome Research
Dresner Foundation (2017)
- Paul Sherlock Housestaff Teaching Award
MSKCC Department of Medicine (2017)
- Fellow Scholar Award in Basic/Translational Research
American Society of Hematology (2015)
- Postdoctoral Research Award
Bone Marrow Failure Research Program, Department of Defense (2013)
- Young Investigator Award
American Socity of Clinical Oncology (2012)
- International Society for Experimental Hematology (2013)
- American Society of Hematology (2009)