Dr. Tang obtained his medical degree from the Norman Bethune College of Medicine, Jilin University, and his PhD from the Xiangya School of Medicine, Central South University. He completed his postdoctoral training by Dr. Michael Lotze at the University of Pittsburgh. He is currently the director of Cell Death and Disease Laboratory and the Center for DAMP Biology in the Department of Surgery at UTSW.
His laboratory pursues a focused research in DAMPs, cell death, and inflammatory diseases.
His laboratory major scientific contributions are summarized below:
1) Identified HMGB1 as a novel regulator of autophagy.
2) Identified novel regulators (NRF2, HSPB1, HSPB5, FANCD2, ACSL4, CISD1, MT1G, NCOA4, BECN1, and DPP4) of ferroptosis.
3) Identified a novel PKM-mediated metabolism mechanism involved in sepsis.
4) Identified novel pathologic roles of HMGB1 and mitophagy in pancreatic cancer.
5) Identified a novel cell death termed alkaliptosis.
- Autophagy in cell survival and death
- DAMP in sepsis and pancreatic cancer
- Regulated cell death (ferroptosis, pyroptosis, and alkaliptosis)
- PINK1 and PARK2 Suppress Pancreatic Tumorigenesis through Control of Mitochondrial Iron-Mediated Immunometabolism.
- Li C, Zhang Y, Cheng X, Yuan H, Zhu S, Liu J, Wen Q, Xie Y, Liu J, Kroemer G, Klionsky DJ, Lotze MT, Zeh HJ, Kang R, Tang D Dev. Cell 2018 08 46 4 441-455.e8
- Lipid Peroxidation Drives Gasdermin D-Mediated Pyroptosis in Lethal Polymicrobial Sepsis.
- Kang R, Zeng L, Zhu S, Xie Y, Liu J, Wen Q, Cao L, Xie M, Ran Q, Kroemer G, Wang H, Billiar TR, Jiang J, Tang D Cell Host Microbe 2018 Jul 24 1 97-108.e4
- The Circadian Clock Controls Immune Checkpoint Pathway in Sepsis.
- Deng W, Zhu S, Zeng L, Liu J, Kang R, Yang M, Cao L, Wang H, Billiar TR, Jiang J, Xie M, Tang D Cell Rep 2018 Jul 24 2 366-378
- High mobility group protein B1 controls liver cancer initiation through yes-associated protein -dependent aerobic glycolysis.
- Chen R, Zhu S, Fan XG, Wang H, Lotze MT, Zeh HJ, Billiar TR, Kang R, Tang D Hepatology 2018 May 67 5 1823-1841
- JTC801 Induces pH-dependent Death Specifically in Cancer Cells and Slows Growth of Tumors in Mice.
- Song X, Zhu S, Xie Y, Liu J, Sun L, Zeng D, Wang P, Ma X, Kroemer G, Bartlett DL, Billiar TR, Lotze MT, Zeh HJ, Kang R, Tang D Gastroenterology 2018 04 154 5 1480-1493
- Inhibition of Aurora Kinase A Induces Necroptosis in Pancreatic Carcinoma.
- Xie Y, Zhu S, Zhong M, Yang M, Sun X, Liu J, Kroemer G, Lotze M, Zeh HJ, Kang R, Tang D Gastroenterology 2017 11 153 5 1429-1443.e5
- ALK is a therapeutic target for lethal sepsis.
- Zeng L, Kang R, Zhu S, Wang X, Cao L, Wang H, Billiar TR, Jiang J, Tang D Sci Transl Med 2017 Oct 9 412
- The Tumor Suppressor p53 Limits Ferroptosis by Blocking DPP4 Activity.
- Xie Y, Zhu S, Song X, Sun X, Fan Y, Liu J, Zhong M, Yuan H, Zhang L, Billiar TR, Lotze MT, Zeh HJ, Kang R, Kroemer G, Tang D Cell Rep 2017 Aug 20 7 1692-1704