Tian grew up in Chengdu, China. He obtained his BSc degree in chemistry at the University of Science and Technology of China. In 2009, he relocated to Boston, to begin his doctoral studies with Prof. John Porco at Boston University. Tian’s thesis research focused on synthesis of complex and bioactive natural products, particularly in tetrahydroxanthone family natural products. In 2015, Tian started his postdoctoral training in the laboratory of Prof. Phil Baran at Scripps Research, focusing on the development of synthetically useful radical cross-coupling reactions. Tian joined UT Southwestern in September 2018 as an assistant professor. His research program will focus on development of modular and efficient synthetic methods and strategies.
- Concise synthesis of bioactive natural products and small molecules
- Discovery and application of novel chemical transformation
- A General Amino Acid Synthesis Enabled by Innate Radical Cross-Coupling.
- Baran PS, Ni S, Garrido-Castro AF, Merchant RR, deGruyter JN, Schmitt DC, Mousseau JJ, Gallego GM, Yang S, Collins MR, Qiao JX, Yeung KS, Langley DR, Poss MA, Scola PM, Qin T Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2018 Sep
- )-rich complexity by combining cycloaddition and C-C cross-coupling reactions.
- Chen TG, Barton LM, Lin Y, Tsien J, Kossler D, Bastida I, Asai S, Bi C, Chen JS, Shan M, Fang H, Fang FG, Choi HW, Hawkins L, Qin T, Baran PS Nature 2018 Jul
- ) linkages on DNA.
- Wang J, Lundberg H, Asai S, Martín-Acosta P, Chen JS, Brown S, Farrell W, Dushin RG, O'Donnell CJ, Ratnayake AS, Richardson P, Liu Z, Qin T, Blackmond DG, Baran PS Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2018 Jun
- Asymmetric Synthesis of Gonytolide A: Strategic Use of an Aryl Halide Blocking Group for Oxidative Coupling.
- Wu X, Iwata T, Scharf A, Qin T, Reichl KD, Porco JA J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018 Apr
- -rich (fluoro)alkylated scaffolds.
- Merchant RR, Edwards JT, Qin T, Kruszyk MM, Bi C, Che G, Bao DH, Qiao W, Sun L, Collins MR, Fadeyi OO, Gallego GM, Mousseau JJ, Nuhant P, Baran PS Science 2018 Feb
- CITU: A Peptide and Decarboxylative Coupling Reagent.
- deGruyter JN, Malins LR, Wimmer L, Clay KJ, Lopez-Ogalla J, Qin T, Cornella J, Liu Z, Che G, Bao D, Stevens JM, Qiao JX, Allen MP, Poss MA, Baran PS Org. Lett. 2017 Nov 19 22 6196-6199
- Decarboxylative Alkynylation.
- Smith JM, Qin T, Merchant RR, Edwards JT, Malins LR, Liu Z, Che G, Shen Z, Shaw SA, Eastgate MD, Baran PS Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2017 Jun
- Decarboxylative alkenylation.
- Edwards JT, Merchant RR, McClymont KS, Knouse KW, Qin T, Malins LR, Vokits B, Shaw SA, Bao DH, Wei FL, Zhou T, Eastgate MD, Baran PS Nature 2017 Apr
- Fe-Catalyzed C-C Bond Construction from Olefins via Radicals.
- Lo JC, Kim D, Pan CM, Edwards JT, Yabe Y, Gui J, Qin T, Gutiérrez S, Giacoboni J, Smith MW, Holland PL, Baran PS J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017 Jan
- Nickel-Catalyzed Barton Decarboxylation and Giese Reactions: A Practical Take on Classic Transforms.
- Qin T, Malins LR, Edwards JT, Merchant RR, Novak AJ, Zhong JZ, Mills RB, Yan M, Yuan C, Eastgate MD, Baran PS Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2017 Jan 56 1 260-265
Honors & Awards
- Sugata Ray Memorial Award for International Students
- Vertex Fellowship
- Department of Biochemistry (2018)