Katherine C. Michelis, M.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Cardiology. She is also on faculty at the VA North Texas Health Care System in Dallas, where she serves as the Director of Cardiac and Vascular Rehab. Her clinical and research interests include amyloid cardiomyopathy, heart transplantation, mechanical circulatory support, and cardiac rehabilitation.
Dr. Michelis earned her medical degree at the George Washington University School of Medicine in Washington, DC. She completed an internal medicine residency and general cardiology fellowship at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York. She then completed fellowships in advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology as well as clinical research at UT Southwestern.
She is certified in Cardiovascular Disease and Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. She also has subspecialty certification in echocardiography. She joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
She has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications in major scientific journals and has presented her research nationally.
Dr. Michelis’ interests outside of medicine include traveling, running, cooking, and spending time with her husband and two boys.
- Medical School
- George Washington University School of Medicine (2012)
- Mount Sinai Medical Center (2014), Internal Medicine
- Mount Sinai Medical Center (2018), Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2020), Advanced Heart Failure & Transplant Cardiology
- Advanced Heart Failure
- Amyloid Cardiomyopathy
- Heart Transplantation
- Mechanical Circulatory Support
- Phenomapping a Novel Classification System for Patients With Destination Therapy Left Ventricular Assist Devices.
- Hendren NS, Segar MW, Zhong L, Michelis KC, Drazner MH, Young JB, Tang WHW, Pandey A, Grodin JL, Am J Cardiol 2021 Nov
- A library of induced pluripotent stem cells from clinically well-characterized, diverse healthy human individuals.
- Schaniel C, Dhanan P, Hu B, Xiong Y, Raghunandan T, Gonzalez DM, Dariolli R, D'Souza SL, Yadaw AS, Hansen J, Jayaraman G, Mathew B, Machado M, Berger SI, Tripodig J, Najfeld V, Garg J, Miller M, Surlyn CS, Michelis KC, Tangirala NC, Weerahandi H, Thomas DC, Beaumont KG, Sebra R, Mahajan M, Schadt E, Vidovic D, Schürer SC, Goldfarb J, Azeloglu EU, Birtwistle MR, Sobie EA, Kovacic JC, Dubois NC, Iyengar R, Stem Cell Reports 2021 Oct
- Discordance Between Severity of Heart Failure as Determined by Patient Report Versus Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing.
- Michelis KC, Grodin JL, Zhong L, Pandey A, Toto K, Ayers CR, Thibodeau JT, Drazner MH, J Am Heart Assoc 2021 Jun e019864
- Durable Mechanical Circulatory Support in Patients With Amyloid Cardiomyopathy: Insights From INTERMACS.
- Michelis KC, Zhong L, Tang WHW, Young JB, Peltz M, Drazner MH, Pandey A, Griffin J, Maurer MS, Grodin JL, Circ Heart Fail 2020 12 13 12 e007931
- Impact of body mass index on surgical coronary revascularization for ischaemic heart failure: insights from STICHES.
- Hendren NS, Zhong L, Neeland IJ, Michelis KC, Drazner MH, Tang WHW, Pandey A, Grodin JL, ESC Heart Fail 2020 Sep
- Dynamic Forecasts of Survival for Patients Living With Destination Left Ventricular Assist Devices: Insights From INTERMACS.
- Michelis KC, Zhong L, Peltz M, Pandey A, Tang WHW, Rohatgi A, Young JB, Drazner MH, Grodin JL, J Am Heart Assoc 2020 07 9 14 e016203
- Bone pain in a heart transplant recipient.
- Michelis KC, La Hoz RM, Araj FG, Am J Transplant 2020 05 20 5 1458-1460
- Donor name visibility in DonorNet.
- Michelis KC, Garg S, Drazner MH, J Heart Lung Transplant 2020 04 39 4 402-403
- Cutaneous Vasculitis and Central Nervous System Infarctions due to Varicella Zoster Virus Vasculopathy in an Immunocompromised Patient.
- Flores Rosario K, Michelis KC, Bjorkman C, Araj FG, Case Rep Transplant 2020 2020 5049627
- Coronary artery manifestations of fibromuscular dysplasia.
- Michelis KC, Olin JW, Kadian-Dodov D, d'Escamard V, Kovacic JC, J Am Coll Cardiol 2014 Sep 64 10 1033-46
Honors & Awards
- Walter Freeman Research Award
George Washington University School of Medicine (2012)
- Michael Mulinos Postgraduate Award
Hellenic Medical Society of New York (2011)