Dr. Van Woerkom grew up in the intermountain west on his grandfather’s dairy farm and lived abroad in Europe. He received his initial medical training at the University of Utah. He completed a residency at Oregon Health and Science University where he received a teaching award from his colleagues. He did his cardiology training in Arizona at the Mayo Clinic. Because of his interest in cardiac imaging, he completed two additional cardiac imaging fellowships at the aforementioned institutions. His model of care is patient-centered and utilizes familial integration and shared-decision making. He specializes in cardiac imaging with a focus on ultrasound (echo), magnetic resonance (MRI), cardiac nuclear imaging, and computed tomography (CT). These modalities inform him on cardiac muscle health and valvular function and in developing treatment plans for diseases that affect heart muscle and the aortic, mitral, pulmonary and tricuspid valves. Dr. Van Woerkom hikes, cycles on and off roads, climbs mountains, and runs in his spare time.
- Medical School
- University of Utah School of Medicine (2010)
- Oregon Health & Science University (2013), Internal Medicine
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (2016), Cardiovascular Disease
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (2017), Advanced Echocardiography
- Oregon Health and Science University (2018), Cardiac Advanced Imaging
- Cardiac Imaging
- Cardiac Magnetic Resonance
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Transcatheter Therapies in Valvular Heart Disease
- Value in Healthcare
- What is Clinical Efficacy of Transesophageal Echocardiography in Patients With Cryptogenic Stroke?: A Critically Appraised Topic.
- Christiansen ME, Van Woerkom RC, Demaerschalk BM, Wingerchuk DM, O'Carroll CB Neurologist 2018 Jan 23 1 30-33
- Inhaled nitric oxide mitigates need for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in a patient with refractory acute hypoxemic respiratory failure due to cardiac and pulmonary shunts.
- Nokes B, Yeneneh B, Maddux J, Van Woerkom RC, Lowell A, Callisen H, Patel B, Shamoun F, Fortuin FD, DeValeria P, Sen A Respir Med Case Rep 2018 24 98-102
- Conus artery occlusion causing isolated right ventricular outflow tract infarction: novel application of cardiac magnetic resonance in anterior STEMI.
- Lyle M, Van Woerkom RC, Tweet M, Young PM, Best PJ Cardiovasc Diagn Ther 2016 Jun 6 3 262-6
- Inpatient Cardiology Consultation: Lessons Learned During Fellowship.
- Abudiab MM, Van Woerkom RC J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015 Jul 66 2 199-200
- Lung function and gas exchange in Eisenmenger syndrome and their impact on exercise capacity and survival.
- Broberg CS, Van Woerkom RC, Swallow E, Dimopoulos K, Diller GP, Allada G, Gatzoulis MA Int. J. Cardiol. 2014 Jan 171 1 73-7
- Teaching high-value, cost-conscious care to residents: the Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine–American College of Physicians Curriculum.
- Smith CD Ann. Intern. Med. 2012 Aug 157 4 284-6
- Parathyroid hormone, vitamin D, renal dysfunction, and cardiovascular disease: dependent or independent risk factors?
- Anderson JL, Vanwoerkom RC, Horne BD, Bair TL, May HT, Lappé DL, Muhlestein JB Am. Heart J. 2011 Aug 162 2 331-339.e2
- Report of simultaneous acute pancreatitis and acute hepatitis in a patient taking ezetimibe/simvastatin.
- Van Woerkom RC, Adler DG J Clin Lipidol 2010 Jul-Aug 4 4 314-5
- Contemporary issues in the prevention and management of postthrombotic syndrome.
- Vazquez SR, Freeman A, VanWoerkom RC, Rondina MT Ann Pharmacother 2009 Nov 43 11 1824-35
- Can a pass/fail grading system adequately reflect student progress?
- Miller BM, Kalet A, Vanwoerkom RC, Zorko N, Halsey J Virtual Mentor 2009 Nov 11 11 842-51
Honors & Awards
- Medical Housestaff Teaching Award
Oregon Health & Science University (2012)
- Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (2017)
- Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (2015)
- American College of Cardiology (2013)
- American College of Physicians (2008)
- American Medical Association (2006)
- American Society of Echocardiography (2003)