Waddah Arafat, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Waddah Arafat, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Hematology and Oncology.
Originally from Damascus, Syria, Dr. Arafat earned his medical degree at Damascus University Faculty of Medicine. He completed internal medicine residency training at Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis. He then completed advanced training through a fellowship in hematology and medical oncology at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in hematology and medical oncology, Dr. Arafat joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Arafat is the Chair of the Germ Cell Tumor Board and Deputy Chief Medical Informatics Officer. He is also a member of the Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center Quality Assurance & Performance Improvement Committee, the Clinical Oversight Committee, and the Oncology Care Model Steering Committee.
Dr. Arafat is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. Arafat's research interests include clinical oncology, radiation oncology, germ cell tumors, urothelial cancer, and renal cell carcinoma. His findings have resulted in numerous peer-reviewed publications.
- Medical School
- Damascus University School of Medicine, Syria (2009)
- Alshami Hospital, Syria (2010), Internal Medicine
- Indiana University School of Medicine (2013), Internal Medicine
- University of Wisconsin Health Sciences Center (2018), Hematology Oncology
- Bladder Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Novel Therapeutics and Biomarker Studies
- Prostate Cancer
- Testicular Cancer
- Stereotactic Ablative Radiation Therapy for Oligoprogressive Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Schoenhals JE, Mohamad O, Christie A, Zhang Y, Li D, Singla N, Bowman I, Arafat W, Hammers H, Courtney K, Cole S, Bagrodia A, Margulis V, Desai N, Garant A, Choy H, Timmerman R, Brugarolas J, Hannan R, Adv Radiat Oncol 2021 Sep-Oct 6 5 100692
- Oncologist Perspectives on Telemedicine for Patients With Cancer: A National Comprehensive Cancer Network Survey.
- Tevaarwerk AJ, Chandereng T, Osterman T, Arafat W, Smerage J, Polubriaginof FCG, Heinrichs T, Sugalski J, Martin DB, JCO Oncol Pract 2021 Jul OP2100195
- Disparities in Pre-Orchiectomy Sperm Cryopreservation Among Testicular Cancer Patients at a Public Safety Net Hospital and a Private Tertiary Care Center.
- Patel A, Howard JM, Chertack N, Badia RR, Margulis V, Woldu SL, Courtney K, Bowman IA, Arafat W, Meng X, Bakare T, Bagrodia A, Urology 2021 Jul
- Development and initial clinical testing of a multiplexed circulating tumor cell assay in patients with clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Bade RM, Schehr JL, Emamekhoo H, Gibbs BK, Rodems TS, Mannino MC, Desotelle JA, Heninger E, Stahlfeld CN, Sperger JM, Singh A, Wolfe SK, Niles DJ, Arafat W, Steinharter JA, Jason Abel E, Beebe DJ, Wei XX, McKay RR, Choueri TK, Lang JM, Mol Oncol 2021 Feb
- Prophylaxis Against Thromboembolic Events During Chemotherapy for Germ Cell Cancer.
- Meng X, Ahmed M, Courtney KD, Arafat W, Ibrahim I, Margulis V, Nichols C, Bagrodia A, Front Oncol 2021 11 724682
- Phase II trial of stereotactic ablative radiation (SAbR) for oligometastatic kidney cancer.
- Hannan, R, Christensen, M, Robles,L, Christie, A, Garant,A, Desai, NB, Hammers, HJ, Arafat, W, Bowman, IA, Cole, S, Courtney, KD, Woldu, SL, Bagrodia, A, Margulis, V, Cadeddu, JA, Choy, H, Sher, D, Brugarolas J, Journal of Clinical Oncology 2021 39(6_suppl) p. 311-311.
- Overcoming sociodemographic factors in the care of patients with testicular cancer at a safety net hospital.
- Chertack N, Ghandour RA, Singla N, Freifeld Y, Hutchinson RC, Courtney K, Bowman IA, Arafat W, Meng X, Moore JA, Aydin AM, Sagalowsky AI, Margulis V, Lotan Y, Woldu SL, Bagrodia A, Cancer 2020 10 126 19 4362-4370
- Prospective Safety and Feasibility trial of Nivolumab and Stereotactic Ablative Radiation Therapy (SAbR) for Metastatic Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma (mRCC)
- S.All, A.Diaz de Leon, O.Mohamad, H.Choy, H.Hammers, A.Sanjeevaiah, W.Arafat, K.Courtney, R.D.Timmermanm J.Brugarolas, R.Hannan International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 2020 108 3, suppl_1 e896-e897
- Intra-patient heterogeneity in urothelial cancer (UC) circulating tumor cells (CTC) and PDL1 expression to identify biomarkers of response and new therapeutic targets: A pilot study.
- Arafat, W, Stahlfeld, C, Sperger, JM, Heninger, E, Gopalakrishnan, D, Barata, PC, Lamenza, M, Devonshire, S, Hoxha, N, Profusek, P, Rini, Bi, Ornstein, MC, Garcia, JA, Kyriakopoulos, C, Lang, JM, Grivas, P Journal of Clinical Oncology 2017 35, no. 15_suppl
- Development and clinical validation of circulating tumor cell (CTC) biomarkers in clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC) for the OMNIVORE clinical trial.
- Arafat, W, Desotelle, J, Rodems, T, McKay, RR, Abel, J, Choueiri, TK, Lang, JM Journal of Clinical Oncology 2017 35, no. 15_suppl p. 4579-4579.
Epidemiology of Mediastinal Germ Cell Neoplasms. In Modern Thoracic Oncology
Albany, C., W. Arafat, and L.H. Einhorn (2018). World Scientific Publishing Company, Incorporated
Clinical Presentation and Diagnosis of Mediastinal Germ Cell Neoplasms. In Modern Thoracic Oncology
Albany, C., W. Arafat, and L.H. Einhorn (2018). World Scientific Publishing Company, Incorporated.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow Award
Wisconsin Association of Hematology and Oncology (2017)