Dr. Hoshida received an M.D. from University of Tsukuba, and completed internal medicine residency and fellowship training for clinical gastroenterology and hepatology, diagnostic pathology, diagnostic and interventional radiology, and biostatistics at University of Tokyo and Toranomon Hospital in Japan. He earned a Ph.D. in medical sciences from University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Medicine. After postdoctoral training for cancer genomics and systems biology at University of Tokyo, Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology and Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard University, he was recruited as faculty at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Tisch Cancer Institute (2012-2018), and was later recruited to UT Southwestern to direct Liver Tumor Translational Research Program (2018-) and to join one of the nation’s largest liver cancer clinical care and research teams.
Dr. Hoshida has expertise in molecular classification, prognostic prediction, molecular targeted therapies, and chemoprevention in liver cirrhosis and cancer. He has been leading several international translational liver cirrhosis/cancer genomics projects, including Precision Liver Cancer Prevention Consortium, utilizing high-throughput omics technologies and integrative clinical and cross-species systems biology analysis over the past decade. The current focuses of his team include liver cancer risk-predictive molecular biomarkers specific to clinical contexts (e.g., geographic region, liver disease etiology, and patient race/ethnicity), individual risk-stratified personalized cancer screening based on cost-effectiveness, chemoprevention target discovery, radiogenomics, molecular subtype-guided liver cancer therapies, and informatics methodology and software by utilizing patient-derived tissues/cells, liquid biopsy of circulating biomolecules, single-cell omics, molecular digital spatial tissue profiling, clinical diagnostic platforms, nanomedicine technologies, and high-power computation.
- Liver cancer
- Liver cirrhosis
- Molecular classification
- Precision medicine
- Prognostic prediction
- Inhibition of Acetyl-CoA Carboxylase by Phosphorylation or the Inhibitor ND-654 Suppresses Lipogenesis and Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Lally JSV, Ghoshal S, DePeralta DK, Moaven O, Wei L, Masia R, Erstad DJ, Fujiwara N, Leong V, Houde VP, Anagnostopoulos AE, Wang A, Broadfield LA, Ford RJ, Foster RA, Bates J, Sun H, Wang T, Liu H, Ray AS, Saha AK, Greenwood J, Bhat S, Harriman G, Miao W, Rocnik JL, Westlin WF, Muti P, Tsakiridis T, Harwood HJ, Kapeller R, Hoshida Y, Tanabe KK, Steinberg GR, Fuchs BC Cell Metab. 2018 Sep
- Combination of Gene Expression Signature and Model for End-Stage Liver Disease Score Predicts Survival of Patients With Severe Alcoholic Hepatitis.
- Trépo E, Goossens N, Fujiwara N, Song WM, Colaprico A, Marot A, Spahr L, Demetter P, Sempoux C, Im GY, Saldarriaga J, Gustot T, Devière J, Thung SN, Minsart C, Sersté T, Bontempi G, Abdelrahman K, Henrion J, Degré D, Lucidi V, Rubbia-Brandt L, Nair VD, Moreno C, Deltenre P, Hoshida Y, Franchimont D Gastroenterology 2018 03 154 4 965-975
- Cell type-specific pharmacological kinase inhibition for cancer chemoprevention.
- Deshmukh M, Nakagawa S, Higashi T, Vincek A, Venkatesh A, Ruiz de Galarreta M, Koh AP, Goossens N, Hirschfield H, Bian CB, Fujiwara N, Ono A, Hoshida H, El-Abtah M, Ahmad NB, Lujambio A, Sanchez R, Fuchs BC, Poelstra K, Prakash J, Hoshida Y Nanomedicine 2018 Feb 14 2 317-325
- Cost-Effectiveness of Risk Score-Stratified Hepatocellular Carcinoma Screening in Patients with Cirrhosis.
- Goossens N, Singal AG, King LY, Andersson KL, Fuchs BC, Besa C, Taouli B, Chung RT, Hoshida Y Clin Transl Gastroenterol 2017 Jun 8 6 e101
- Molecular Liver Cancer Prevention in Cirrhosis by Organ Transcriptome Analysis and Lysophosphatidic Acid Pathway Inhibition.
- Nakagawa S, Wei L, Song WM, Higashi T, Ghoshal S, Kim RS, Bian CB, Yamada S, Sun X, Venkatesh A, Goossens N, Bain G, Lauwers GY, Koh AP, El-Abtah M, Ahmad NB, Hoshida H, Erstad DJ, Gunasekaran G, Lee Y, Yu ML, Chuang WL, Dai CY, Kobayashi M, Kumada H, Beppu T, Baba H, Mahajan M, Nair VD, Lanuti M, Villanueva A, Sangiovanni A, Iavarone M, Colombo M, Llovet JM, Subramanian A, Tager AM, Friedman SL, Baumert TF, Schwarz ME, Chung RT, Tanabe KK, Zhang B, Fuchs BC, Hoshida Y Cancer Cell 2016 Dec 30 6 879-890
- Clinicopathological indices to predict hepatocellular carcinoma molecular classification.
- Tan PS, Nakagawa S, Goossens N, Venkatesh A, Huang T, Ward SC, Sun X, Song WM, Koh A, Canasto-Chibuque C, Deshmukh M, Nair V, Mahajan M, Zhang B, Fiel MI, Kobayashi M, Kumada H, Hoshida Y Liver Int. 2016 Jan 36 1 108-18
- A genomic and clinical prognostic index for hepatitis C-related early-stage cirrhosis that predicts clinical deterioration.
- King LY, Canasto-Chibuque C, Johnson KB, Yip S, Chen X, Kojima K, Deshmukh M, Venkatesh A, Tan PS, Sun X, Villanueva A, Sangiovanni A, Nair V, Mahajan M, Kobayashi M, Kumada H, Iavarone M, Colombo M, Fiel MI, Friedman SL, Llovet JM, Chung RT, Hoshida Y Gut 2015 Aug 64 8 1296-302
- Integrative transcriptome analysis reveals common molecular subclasses of human hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Hoshida Y, Nijman SM, Kobayashi M, Chan JA, Brunet JP, Chiang DY, Villanueva A, Newell P, Ikeda K, Hashimoto M, Watanabe G, Gabriel S, Friedman SL, Kumada H, Llovet JM, Golub TR Cancer Res. 2009 Sep 69 18 7385-92
- Gene expression in fixed tissues and outcome in hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Hoshida Y, Villanueva A, Kobayashi M, Peix J, Chiang DY, Camargo A, Gupta S, Moore J, Wrobel MJ, Lerner J, Reich M, Chan JA, Glickman JN, Ikeda K, Hashimoto M, Watanabe G, Daidone MG, Roayaie S, Schwartz M, Thung S, Salvesen HB, Gabriel S, Mazzaferro V, Bruix J, Friedman SL, Kumada H, Llovet JM, Golub TR N. Engl. J. Med. 2008 Nov 359 19 1995-2004
- Autophagy is a gatekeeper of hepatic differentiation and carcinogenesis by controlling the degradation of Yap.
- Lee YA, Noon LA, Akat KM, Ybanez MD, Lee TF, Berres ML, Fujiwara N, Goossens N, Chou HI, Parvin-Nejad FP, Khambu B, Kramer EGM, Gordon R, Pfleger C, Germain D, John GR, Campbell KN, Yue Z, Yin XM, Cuervo AM, Czaja MJ, Fiel MI, Hoshida Y, Friedman SL Nat Commun 2018 Nov 9 1 4962
Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Translational Precision Medicine Approaches
Hoshida (Ed.) (2019). Humana Press/Springer
Molecular Prognosis in Liver Cirrhosis. In Genomic and Precision Medicine: Infectious and Inflammatory Disease
Athuluri-Divakar, Hoshida (2019). Academic Press/Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- CPRIT Scholar in Cancer Research
- Elected member, American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)
- Career Scientist Award, Irma T Hirschl Trust
- Dr. Harold and Golden Lamport Research Award
- Research Fellowship, Charles A. King Trust
- Research Resident, Viral Hepatitis Research Foundation