Yujin Hoshida, M.D., Ph.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of the Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases. He serves as Director of the Liver Tumor Translational Research Program.
Originally from Japan, Dr. Hoshida received his medical degree from the University of Tsukuba and completed internal medicine residency training and a fellowship in clinical gastroenterology and hepatology, diagnostic pathology, diagnostic and interventional radiology, and biostatistics at the University of Tokyo and Toranomon Hospital. He then earned his doctoral degree in medical sciences from the University of Tokyo's Graduate School of Medicine. After postdoctoral training in cancer genomics and systems biology at the University of Tokyo's Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology and at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard University, he was recruited to join the faculty of the Tisch Cancer Institute of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and later came to UT Southwestern to direct the Liver Tumor Translational Research Program.
Dr. Hoshida has expertise in molecular classification, prognostic prediction, molecular targeted therapies, and chemoprevention in liver cirrhosis and cancer. He has been leading several international translational liver cirrhosis/cancer genomics projects, including Precision Liver Cancer Prevention Consortium, utilizing high-throughput omics technologies and integrative clinical and cross-species systems biology analysis over the past decade. The current focuses of his team include liver cancer risk-predictive molecular biomarkers specific to clinical contexts (e.g., geographic region, liver disease etiology, and patient race/ethnicity), individual risk-stratified personalized cancer screening based on cost-effectiveness, chemoprevention target discovery, radiogenomics, molecular subtype-guided liver cancer therapies, and informatics methodology and software by utilizing patient-derived tissues/cells, liquid biopsy of circulating biomolecules, single-cell omics, molecular digital spatial tissue profiling, clinical diagnostic platforms, nanomedicine technologies, and high-power computation.
Dr. Hoshida is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American Association for Cancer Research, the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease, the American Gastroenterological Association, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
- Liver cancer
- Liver cirrhosis
- Molecular classification
- Precision medicine
- Prognostic prediction
- Molecular and immune landscape of hepatocellular carcinoma to guide therapeutic decision making.
- Dhanasekaran R, Suzuki H, Lemaitre L, Kubota N, Hoshida Y, Hepatology 2023 Jun
- Risk stratification and early detection biomarkers for precision hepatocellular carcinoma screening.
- Lee YT, Fujiwara N, Yang JD, Hoshida Y, Hepatology 2022 Sep
- Molecular signatures of long-term hepatocellular carcinoma risk in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Fujiwara N, Kubota N, Crouchet E, Koneru B, Marquez CA, Jajoriya AK, Panda G, Qian T, Zhu S, Goossens N, Wang X, Liang S, Zhong Z, Lewis S, Taouli B, Schwartz ME, Fiel MI, Singal AG, Marrero JA, Fobar AJ, Parikh ND, Raman I, Li QZ, Taguri M, Ono A, Aikata H, Nakahara T, Nakagawa H, Matsushita Y, Tateishi R, Koike K, Kobayashi M, Higashi T, Nakagawa S, Yamashita YI, Beppu T, Baba H, Kumada H, Chayama K, Baumert TF, Hoshida Y, Sci Transl Med 2022 Jun 14 650 eabo4474
- Molecular signature predictive of long-term liver fibrosis progression to inform anti-fibrotic drug development.
- Qian T, Fujiwara N, Koneru B, Ono A, Kubota N, Jajoriya AK, Tung MG, Crouchet E, Song WM, Marquez CA, Panda G, Hoshida A, Raman I, Li QZ, Lewis C, Yopp A, Rich NE, Singal AG, Nakagawa S, Goossens N, Higashi T, Koh AP, Bian CB, Hoshida H, Tabrizian P, Gunasekaran G, Florman S, Schwarz ME, Hiotis SP, Nakahara T, Aikata H, Murakami E, Beppu T, Baba H, Warren A, Bhatia S, Kobayashi M, Kumada H, Fobar AJ, Parikh ND, Marrero JA, Rwema SH, Nair V, Patel M, Kim-Schulze S, Corey K, O'Leary JG, Klintmalm GB, Thomas DL, Dibas M, Rodriguez G, Zhang B, Friedman SL, Baumert TF, Fuchs B, Chayama K, Zhu S, Chung RT, Hoshida Y, Gastroenterology 2021 Dec
- A blood-based prognostic liver secretome signature and long-term hepatocellular carcinoma risk in advanced liver fibrosis.
- Fujiwara N, Kobayashi M, Fobar AJ, Hoshida A, Marquez CA, Koneru B, Panda G, Taguri M, Qian T, Raman I, Li QZ, Hoshida H, Sezaki H, Kumada H, Tateishi R, Yokoo T, Yopp AC, Chung RT, Fuchs BC, Baumert TF, Marrero JA, Parikh ND, Zhu S, Singal AG, Hoshida Y, Med (N Y) 2021 Jul 2 7 836-850.e10
- MPIC: Molecular Prognostic Indicators in Cirrhosis Database for Clinical Context-Specific in Silico Prognostic Biomarker Validation.
- Yip SH, Fujiwara N, Burke J, Shetler A, Peralta C, Qian T, Hoshida H, Zhu S, Hoshida Y, Front Genet 2019 10 830
- Risk factors and prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma in the era of precision medicine.
- Fujiwara N, Friedman SL, Goossens N, Hoshida Y J. Hepatol. 2018 Mar 68 3 526-549
- Cost-Effectiveness of Risk Score-Stratified Hepatocellular Carcinoma Screening in Patients with Cirrhosis.
- Goossens N, Singal AG, King LY, Andersson KL, Fuchs BC, Besa C, Taouli B, Chung RT, Hoshida Y Clin Transl Gastroenterol 2017 Jun 8 6 e101
- Molecular Liver Cancer Prevention in Cirrhosis by Organ Transcriptome Analysis and Lysophosphatidic Acid Pathway Inhibition.
- Nakagawa S, Wei L, Song WM, Higashi T, Ghoshal S, Kim RS, Bian CB, Yamada S, Sun X, Venkatesh A, Goossens N, Bain G, Lauwers GY, Koh AP, El-Abtah M, Ahmad NB, Hoshida H, Erstad DJ, Gunasekaran G, Lee Y, Yu ML, Chuang WL, Dai CY, Kobayashi M, Kumada H, Beppu T, Baba H, Mahajan M, Nair VD, Lanuti M, Villanueva A, Sangiovanni A, Iavarone M, Colombo M, Llovet JM, Subramanian A, Tager AM, Friedman SL, Baumert TF, Schwarz ME, Chung RT, Tanabe KK, Zhang B, Fuchs BC, Hoshida Y Cancer Cell 2016 Dec 30 6 879-890
- Clinicopathological indices to predict hepatocellular carcinoma molecular classification.
- Tan PS, Nakagawa S, Goossens N, Venkatesh A, Huang T, Ward SC, Sun X, Song WM, Koh A, Canasto-Chibuque C, Deshmukh M, Nair V, Mahajan M, Zhang B, Fiel MI, Kobayashi M, Kumada H, Hoshida Y Liver Int. 2016 Jan 36 1 108-18
Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Translational Precision Medicine Approaches
Hoshida (Ed.) (2019). Humana Press/Springer
Liver cancer risk-predictive molecular biomarkers specific to clinico-epidemiological contexts. In Advances in Cancer Research
Kubota N, Fujiwara N, Hoshida Y (2022). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2022)
American Gastroenterological Association (2021)
- CPRIT Scholar in Cancer Research
Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (2018)
- Elected Member
American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI) (2018)
- Career Scientist Award
Irma T. Hirschl Trust (2015-2018)
- Dr. Harold and Golden Lamport Research Award
Columbia University (2015)
- Research Fellowship
Charles A. King Trust (2007-2009)
- Research Resident
Viral Hepatitis Research Foundation (2003-2004)
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Japan Society of Hepatology (2023)