Philippe Zimmern, M.D.
Endowed Title The Felecia and John Cain Distinguished Chair in Women’s Health, in Honor of Philippe Zimmern, M.D.
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Philippe Zimmern, M.D., is a Professor of Urology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and the recipient of the Felecia and John Cain Chair for Women’s Health in Urology in honor of Dr Philippe Zimmern. His clinical specialties include incontinence, prolapse, voiding dysfunction, urodynamics, fistula and urethral diverticulum repairs, mesh implant complications, and urinary tract infections. He also specializes in vaginal surgery with native tissue repair and in minimally invasive robotic surgery for prolapse.
Dr. Zimmern received his medical training and completed his doctoral thesis at the Necker-Enfants Malades Hospital in Paris, France. After completing a urology residency in France, Dr. Zimmern spent a fellowship year at UCLA.
Dr. Zimmern joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1995. Prior to that, he served as Director of the Urology Research Program and Co-Director of the Urodynamics Laboratory at the Kaiser Foundation Hospital in Los Angeles.
Among several honors, he has been the recipient of the 1997 Paul Zimskind Urodynamic Society Award and the Jane and John Justin Distinguished Chair in Urology, in honor of Claus G. Roehrborn, M.D., in 2005. He is a past President of the Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (SUFU) and in 2011 was the recipient of the SUFU Distinguished Service Award. In 2012, he received the prestigious Continence Care Champion award from the National Association for Continence (NAFC).Dr. Zimmern, in association with Gary Lemack, M.D., and Maude Carmel, M.D., directs a two-year fellowship program in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery (FPMRS) at UT Southwestern. This fellowship program has been endowed in perpetuity by the Felecia Cain Foundation.
He has been a visiting professor in the United States, Europe, China, Australia, and Canada and has editorial and advisory responsibilities for many Urology journals. He has co-authored more than 365 publications, 28 surgical movies, and 65 book chapters, and co-edited four textbooks, including the books Female Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery and Native tissue repair for incontinence and prolapse. He is FPMRS certified and a member of FACS. He received the inaugural Leaders in Excellence Award at UT Southwestern (2019).
- Medical School
- Hospital Necker Enfants Malades (1980)
- University of Paris/Faculty of Medicine (1983), Urology
- Hospital Necker Enfants Malades (1983), Urology
- UCLA School of Medicine (1984), Research
- UCLA School of Medicine (1985), Urology
- UCLA School of Medicine (1988), Urology
- Bladder diseases
- Incontinence (female, male)
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Voiding dysfunction
- Supine magnetic resonance defecography for evaluation of anterior compartment prolapse: Comparison with upright voiding cystourethrogram.
- Kumar NM, Khatri G, Christie AL, Sims R, Pedrosa I, Zimmern PE, Eur J Radiol 2019 Aug 117 95-101
- An update on research and outcomes in surgical management of vaginal mesh complications.
- Lee D, Zimmern PE, Expert Rev Med Devices 2019 Jul 16 7 569-580
- Very Long-Term Results of Burch and Autologous Sling Procedures for Stress Urinary Incontinence in E-SISTEr Participants at One Site.
- Kuprasertkul A, Christie AL, Lemack GE, Zimmern P, J. Urol. 2019 Jun 101097JU0000000000000421
- Direct Detection of Tissue-Resident Bacteria and Chronic Inflammation in the Bladder Wall of Postmenopausal Women with Recurrent Urinary Tract Infection.
- De Nisco NJ, Neugent M, Mull J, Chen L, Kuprasertkul A, de Souza Santos M, Palmer KL, Zimmern P, Orth K, J. Mol. Biol. 2019 Apr
- Is trigonitis a neglected, imprecise, misunderstood, or forgotten diagnosis?
- Sadeghi Z, MacLennan G, Childs SJ, Zimmern PE, Low Urin Tract Symptoms 2019 Apr
- Electrofulguration in the advanced management of antibiotic-refractory recurrent urinary tract infections in women.
- Crivelli JJ, Alhalabi F, Zimmern PE, Int. J. Urol. 2019 Apr
- FINANCIAL BURDEN OF RECURRENT URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS IN WOMEN: A TIME-DRIVEN ACTIVITY-BASED COST ANALYSIS.
- Gaitonde S, Malik RD, Zimmern PE Urology 2019 Feb
- Prospective Evaluation of Urodynamic Utility in a Subspecialty Tertiary Practice.
- Malik RD, Hess DS, Carmel ME, Lemack GE, Zimmern PE Urology 2019 Jan
- Enzymatic assay of D-mannose from urine.
- Mehta I, Zimmern P, Reitzer L, Bioanalysis 2018 Dec 10 23 1947-1954
- Bethanechol: Is it still being prescribed for bladder dysfunction in women?
- Gaitonde S, Malik RD, Christie AL, Zimmern PE Int. J. Clin. Pract. 2018 Aug e13248
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Felecia and John Cain Chair in Womens Health
In honor of Philippe E. Zimmern, M.D. (2019-2019)
- Inaugural Leaders in Clinical Excellence award at UT Southwestern for Patient and Family Recognition Award
- Top Doctors in Texas
- Americas Most Honored Professional
- Outstanding Reviewer for The Journal of Urology
- Texas Super Doctors
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor
Top Doctors North Texas (2015-2019)
- Top Urologist in Dallas, TX
The Leading Physicians of the World (2015-2019)
- Best Reviewer in 2013 Award
The Journal of Urology (2014-2014)
- David A Culp Lecturer Award
University of Iowa (2013-2013)
- Rodney Appell Continence Care Champion
National Association for Continence and Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology (2012-2012)
- SUFU Distinguished Service Award
- Kaiser Physician Recognition Award for the Los Angeles Area
- Past President
Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (2006-2008)
Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (2004-2006)
- Vice President
Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (2002-2004)
Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (2000-2002)
- Kaiser Physician Recognition Award for the Los Angeles Area
- Excellency and Dedication in Teaching Residents
Kaiser Sunset Medical Center (1989-1989)
- Necker Faculty Laureate
Silver Medal for outstanding doctoral thesis (1982-1982)
- American College of Surgeons
- American Urogynecologic Society
- International Continence Society
- Société Internationale d'Urologie
- Society for Urodynamics & Female Urology