Dr. Chandra is originally from India but has lived in Rochester, MN for most of his life. He went to medical school at Rush Medical College in Chicago, IL. He is a General Surgery resident here at UT Southwestern and is currently a TARDIS Research Fellow studying lung cancer immunology at the Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research under the mentorship of Dr. Rolf Brekken and Dr. John Minna. He ultimately hopes to pursue fellowship training in Cardiothoracic Surgery with a focus on Thoracic Surgical Oncology. Dr. Chandra’s personal interests include spending time with family, science-fiction films, and badminton.
- Chemoprevention for Esophageal Cancer
- Critical Care
- Lung Cancer Immunology
- Thoracic Surgical Oncology
- Small Cell Lung Cancer Invading the Left Atrium With Subsequent Malignant Embolic Stroke: A Case Report and Review of Literature.
- Chandra R, Abugroun A, Goldberg A, Cooney E, Mehrotra S, Volgman A, Cardiol Res 2019 Jun 10 3 188-192
- Successful non-operative management of intraabdominal hypertension and abdominal compartment syndrome after complex ventral hernia repair: a case series.
- Chandra R, Jacobson RA, Poirier J, Millikan K, Robinson E, Siparsky N, Am. J. Surg. 2018 10 216 4 819-823
- Palatal tremor as a manifestation of posterior circulation haemorrhagic stroke.
- Alnaimat S, Chandra R, Gupta S, Mba B, BMJ Case Rep 2018 May 2018
- Current treatment paradigms in pediatric short bowel syndrome.
- Chandra R, Kesavan A, Clin J Gastroenterol 2018 Apr 11 2 103-112
- Progressive Dysphagia in an Adolescent Female.
- Chandra R, Kesavan A, Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2018 04 57 4 491-493
- Translational research on Barrett's esophagus.
- Baruah A, Buttar N, Chandra R, Chen X, Clemons NJ, Compare D, El-Rifai W, Gu J, Houchen CW, Koh SY, Li W, Nardone G, Phillips WA, Sharma A, Singh I, Upton MP, Vega KJ, Wu X, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2014 Sep 1325 170-86
- Strategy for prevention of cancers of the esophagus.
- Akiyama J, Alexandre L, Baruah A, Buttar N, Chandra R, Clark AB, Hart AR, Hawk E, Kandioler D, Kappel S, Krishnadath SK, Sharma A, Singh I, Straub D, Triadafilopoulos G, Umar A, Wolf B, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2014 Sep 1325 108-26
- Emergency Department hyperglycemia as a predictor of early mortality and worse functional outcome after intracerebral hemorrhage.
- Stead LG, Jain A, Bellolio MF, Odufuye A, Gilmore RM, Rabinstein A, Chandra R, Dhillon R, Manivannan V, Serrano LA, Yerragondu N, Palamari B, Jain M, Decker WW Neurocrit Care 2010 Aug 13 1 67-74
- Effect of anticoagulant and antiplatelet therapy in patients with spontaneous intra-cerebral hemorrhage: Does medication use predict worse outcome?
- Stead LG, Jain A, Bellolio MF, Odufuye AO, Dhillon RK, Manivannan V, Gilmore RM, Rabinstein AA, Chandra R, Serrano LA, Yerragondu N, Palamari B, Decker WW, Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2010 May 112 4 275-81
Honors & Awards
- Consultant of the Year
UT Southwestern, Department of Emergency Medicine (2020)
- Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award
Rush Medical College (2018)
- Alpha Omega Alpha - Medical Honor Society
Rush Medical College (2017)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
Rush Medical College (2017)