Jessica Garcia, MD., is currently an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.
She earned her undergraduate degree in Kinesiology from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. She earned her medical degree at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Peoria. She completed a residency in pediatrics at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Peoria where she completed a laboratory research project with Dr. de Alarcon studying the cause of thrombocytosis seen in iron deficiency anemia. This was then followed by a pediatric hematology/oncology fellowship at the Medical College of Wisconsin/BloodCenter of Wisconsin where she completed a research project that involved validating a novel rat model of von Willebrand Disease developed via CRISPR under the mentorship of Dr. Veronica Flood and Dr. Bob Montgomery. During her fellowship, she was the recipient of the National Hemophilia Foundation-Baxalta Clinical Fellowship grant and NIH Loan Repayment Program.
Dr. Garcia’s clinical interest is in pediatric hematology with a focus on hemostasis and thrombosis, where she is the lead hemophilia provider. Dr. Garcia is 2022-2024 Co-Chair for Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society Consortium of Early Career, Clinical, Translational, and Outcomes Researchers. Her research is focused on improving joint health in persons with hemophilia A (PwHA) and developing better ways to detect early joint disease and prevent lasting joint sequelae from hemophilia.
- Medical School
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria (2012)
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria (2015), Pediatrics
- Medical College of Wisconsin (2018), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Bleeding and Clotting Disorders
- Von Willebrand Disease
- Pancytopenia and haematopoietic precursor vacuolisation in an infant: Clues to Pearson syndrome.
- Driskill JH, Cantu MD, Garcia J, Dickerson KE, Chen W, Br J Haematol 2023 Jul
- Insights image for "Evaluation of angiogenic signaling molecules associated with reactive thrombocytosis in an iron deficient rat model".
- Garcia J, Mankin P, Gnanamony M, de Alarcon PA, Pediatr Res 2021 Jun
- Real-world case series and summary of current literature of infants and toddlers with severe hemophilia A with inhibitor on prophylaxis with emicizumab.
- Garcia J, Zia A, Pediatr Blood Cancer 2021 May 68 5 e28942
- COVID-19 in a Pediatric Patient: Novel Presentation of Cardiac Failure resulting in Chylous Ascites and Abdominal Pain.
- Phen C, Woolley J, Kelley S, Garcia J, Baez Hernandez N, Aqul A, JPGN Rep 2021 May 2 2 e068
- Evaluation of angiogenic signaling molecules associated with reactive thrombocytosis in an iron-deficient rat model.
- Garcia J, Mankin P, Gnanamony M, de Alarcon PA, Pediatr Res 2021 Jan
- A rat model of severe VWD by elimination of the VWF gene using CRISPR/Cas9.
- Garcia J, Flood VH, Haberichter SL, Fahs SA, Mattson JG, Geurts AM, Zogg M, Weiler H, Shi Q, Montgomery RR, Res Pract Thromb Haemost 2020 Jan 4 1 64-71
- The role of genetics in the pathogenesis and diagnosis of type 1 Von Willebrand disease.
- Flood VH, Garcia J, Haberichter SL, Curr Opin Hematol 2019 09 26 5 331-335
- 17-Year-Old Boy with Renal Failure and the Highest Reported Creatinine in Pediatric Literature.
- Master Sankar Raj V, Garcia J, Gordillo R Case Rep Pediatr 2015 2015 703960
Honors & Awards
- Travel Award
2023 HTRS Research Colloquium (2023-2023)
- Travel Award
2021 HTRS Research Colloquium (2021-2021)
- Travel Award
2020 HTRS Research Colloquium (2020-2020)
- Travel Award - HTRS Research Colloquium
- Research & Quality Award - Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals, Inc
- Young Investigator Travel Award - Thrombosis & Hemostasis Societies of North America
- National Institute of Health (NIH) Pediatric Loan Repayment Program
- National Hemophilia Foundation-Shire Clinical Fellowship Award
- Excellence in Pediatric Ambulatory Care
Pediatric Dept. Resident Award, University of Illinois at Peoria/Childrens Hospital of Illinois (2015)
- Excellence in Pediatric Research Award, First Place in Content and Presentation of Pediatric Research Project
Pediatric Dept. Resident Award, University of ILllinois at Peoria/Childrens Hospital of Illinois (2015)
- OSF Healthcare 2015 Annual Research Symposium, First Place in Platform Presentation of Pediatric Research Project
- OSF Healthcare 2015 Annual Research Symposium, Second Place in Poster Presentation of Pediatric Research Project
- Outstanding Patient Advocate Award
University of IL at Peoria/Childrens Hospital of Illinois
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2015)
- American Boards of Pediatrics (2015)
- American Society of Hematology (2015)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2015)
- Childrens Oncology Group (2015)